Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Questions about Sleep After Banding

Until reading around on the site, I hadn't given much thought to difficulty sleeping; from some of the posts I'm reading, it seems to be a real problem.

1. I understand that the port side (typically the left, I believe) is very uncomfortable after surgery - how difficult is it to sleep on the right side? I'm a side-sleeper because of a touch of apnea, and would prefer to sleep on my right side, but will it be too comfortable in the early post-op period?

2. About how long does it take before the right side becomes comfortable? The left side?

3. I've read several people saying they sleep on a recliner rather than in bed for a period of time. What are the advantages of a recliner? (I don't have one.) My bed is fairly high, and it's easy for me just to turn and lie down on it. What's the hard part of bed sleeping that's relieved by the recliner?

4. I have a bunch of pillows for my bed. Does anyone know of any kind of frame or something that would provide firm support for the upper body in bed - a kind of fake hospital bed-type deal?

Thanks in advance,

Fenton

(getting banded 3/15, touch wood)

1. I understand that the port side (typically the left, I believe) is very uncomfortable after surgery - how difficult is it to sleep on the right side? I'm a side-sleeper because of a touch of apnea, and would prefer to sleep on my right side, but will it be too comfortable in the early post-op period?

I have apnea too. My hubby and I switched sides of the bed, and I'm sleeping on my right side comfortably. He also elevated the head of the bed about 3" as it helps me get out of bed...he said my snoring has almost completely disappeared!

2. About how long does it take before the right side becomes comfortable? The left side?

I woke up the other morning (3 days post-op) on my left side. It doesn't really hurt that much.

3. I've read several people saying they sleep on a recliner rather than in bed for a period of time. What are the advantages of a recliner? (I don't have one.) My bed is fairly high, and it's easy for me just to turn and lie down on it. What's the hard part of bed sleeping that's relieved by the recliner?

It's difficult to get yourself propped up the first couple of days. Sleeping in a recliner the first day made things a lot easier for me.

4. I have a bunch of pillows for my bed. Does anyone know of any kind of frame or something that would provide firm support for the upper body in bed - a kind of fake hospital bed-type deal?

Try looking for those bed pillows that sit up in your bed, with arms, like for reading.

Until reading around on the site, I hadn't given much thought to difficulty sleeping; from some of the posts I'm reading, it seems to be a real problem.

Thanks in advance,

Fenton

(getting banded 3/15, touch wood)

I was banded on 2/13, and it was really hard for me to get to sleep, and then stay sleep for the first couple of days. I tried sleeping in the recliner, but I was uncomfortable, and then couldn't get out without help. I really agree with the post before mine about getting a back pillow, I really wish I had thought about that.

My first 3 nights I alternated between the couch and the recliner, and I am not one for sleeping on my back, I have to be on my stomach. I tried lying on my right side but felt alot of pulling, I was however able to prop myself up a little with alot of pillows to give support to keep from feeling the pulling when I slept on the couch and could sleep at a slight tilt to the right. It was easier for me to get off of the couch than out of my bed, I could hold onto things so I did not have to use my stomach muscles to do the work. The first night I tried to lie in bed just to see, and let me just say if it had not hurt so much I am sure it was funny as heck as I needed my mom to come in and help me out of bed. By night four I was sleeping in my bed on my side and even woke up and I was on my stomache. Good Luck and just remember the first few days all of it is just temporary and than you will back to your normal ways of sleep!!

Thanks all.

The thing about the back support pillow: I've only ever seen them online, but I kind of feel like I'd be too big for them, and they wouldn't give me anything like adequate support, particularly those stubby side-arm things...

:clap2: I sleep on my tummy . but I was told to sleep in my back for 40 days just intil the port will be ok .. and I did now I have no problems in my side or on my tummy and you get us to it .

I was sleeping on my couch for42 days ..

hopes this helps everyone is diffrent take care and good luck to you .!!

clau

I slept in the recliner for like 2 weeks after my surgery, if not a little longer. My port is on the right side and I typically sleep on my left side but I wasn't even able to do that. I would try but it wasn't worth it so I ended up in the recliner. The only way to really know is to try it. Good luck!

OMG Big time tummy sleeper!!

Can you take sleep aids for 40 nights? I once tried to sleep in a recliner and on couch for four nights in a row, (due to 9 day ice storm/power outage) and on night four I left the warmth of the fireplace to sleep in my bed, on my tummy in (38 degrees)!!!!!!!!!

How am I going to liquid diet- no food- no chewing- no comfort----and NO SLEEP??

PLEASE TELL ME THIS CAN BE DONE!!

well technically you aren't supposed to take a hypnotic like ambien more than seven nights in a row due to potential for addiction I guess but if doctor oks it you can take it for longer. I was given a month long prescription before but stopped taking it after a couple of weeks because it just wasn't doing for me what we hoped it would do (I have lack of REM paralysis and we were hoping it might help me hold still in my sleep and get better rested and stuff. No affect.).

I have different sorts of pillows. The wedges are nice if you get a good one. One of the tricks to using those, I think, is to customise the support with other pillows. I also think it is a good idea to have pillows of various sizes and shapes and thicknesses. I also heard the rolling a towel for neck support when lying flat on back so the back of head rests comfortably on bed is good for the neck sometimes when that is giving a person trouble too-- its something I am going to try tonight. Helps it get aligned properly.

I might sleep on our chaise lounge (with the ottoman at the end) for a couple of nights if I think it best. I would sleep in bed if I slept alone but I worry that my sleep disorders combined with the pressence of my husband will make it difficult for me to sleep like I need to sleep in the bed. I imagine you will also get used to the discomfort in part too. I broke my hand this past summer and it affected the way I could sleep especially before I could get it in a cast because I had to have it elevated and so forth. And it still hurt once it was in the cast and I might wake up if I rolled over on it or something (esp since the cast became loose pretty quickly) but once I changed positions and stuff I would go back to sleep right away. I got used to the discomfort and after a day or two it didn't even hurt much at all...

I tried to sleep in my bed last night, big mistake. At 5:00 am I woke my wife up with excessive moaning, and it took her help and alot of pain to get out of bed, to go sleep sitting upright on my couch. I would not recommend laying flat on your back after this surgery.

Pete, if there's any way you can manage it, try elevating the head of your bed by about 3" (books, wood, whatever). My hubby did that for me the first few days and I slept great.