Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need your advice desperately...

:help: I had my band placed in Sept 05. I initially did great and was afraid to eat anything not on my list. My first fill was really large and I continued to lose pretty fast. THEN, the surgeon decided for reasons still unbeknownst to me, that the fill was too much and he started removing fill. I found that I could eat more and I also developed some really bad habits, like drinking with meals. I developed pretty severe reflux around this time and I saw a new dr in the practice. He was really rude to me and couldn't find my port and so I ended up with a bruise the size of a baseball on my belly and I left in tears. I decided that day in July 06 that I was a band failure. That I was too far gone and that success had eluded me. I started to gain my weight back. I have struggled with depression and suicidal ideations. I sought the help of a counselor who was extremely negative about WLS in general and who told me I should accept myself as a fat person because most obese people are never able to deprogram the tendency to overeat and therefore, my chances for ever losing the weight are slim.

So, last week, after crying for two days, I decided that I should give my band another go. I currently only have .5 cc in my 4cc band.

Can I get a huge fill to jumpstart my loss? My first fill was 1.8cc and I was losing there, although it was hard to eat but I was at least losing. I have an appt on Wednesday and I want to come up with some ideas. I'd like to recapture those first few post op weeks and I'm hoping a fill will do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jennifer

If you get a huge fill you run the risk of ending up too tight and it really seems that can start off a chain of problems in finding a good level for you.

Be patient, sneak up on your good restriction again.

What was that doctor thinking? You werent having problems were you, like constant PBing and difficulty eating?

If not, you should be able to get there again, but take it slow. And ditch that negative therapist, its ENTIRELY possible to lose weight with the band!

Good luck!

Ok girl, if you are going to recommit yourself to the band, (which I think you should) you should do it the right way! First I hope you have a new dr, one who is not so damn rude! Secondly, I agree that you need to take time and NOT get a huge fill the first time.

Talk with the Dr about all of the options, and help them decide what is best for you. One thing you need to recommit to is staying away from the foods that bring you down.

You can do this, it is not too late! We will all be your personal cheerleaders!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

PM me so we can talk!

Thank you so much to all of you who replied. I have requested not to ever see the particular dr who was so obnoxious to me. As far as the therapist, I'm going to also find a new one of those! I totally agree with you, Jack, that its totally important to surround oneself with people and things that make you one feel happy and positive. I'm excited about my fill and totally scared. I'm hoping to get just enough fill to possibly take me back to where I was when I was losing weight. It may be too much for now, though.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to me and give me your honest and heartfelt advice.

Jennifer

I think that it is wonderful that you have written into LBT and that you want to recommit to your band. It sounds like you did have bad luck with the second lapband doctor and with your counsellor. The advice which you have been receiving from other LBT-ers is the same as I would give you: dump them both and find people with whom you are comfortable and who will help you.

With respect to your depression, I suffer from depression and I am on medication for this. You may wish to find out whether meds might be an appropriate method of treatment or not.

You do have an advantage over some bandsters in that you know from your initial success that the band can work for you. This is a good thing! You were doing well until you were defilled by your doctor. You will do well again.

Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing.

I am glad you are giving it another try. I keep telling myself that we put too much into this to give up. I am constantly worried that I will do the wrong things and not lose weight. This is no magic pill, and I am really trying to keep that in mind, even though I am hungry!

Good luck to you with a different doctor and therapist.