Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

maybe too high risk for surgery

Surgeon scared me, thinking of not having rny due to my high risk for leaks and infection... I had lap band 7 yrs ago and it was removed 4days later in emergency surgery bc my stomach got perforated when they placed the band...now due to all the scar tissue I'm very high risk for the surgery and I'm really scared to have it. I told the Dr I wanted to have the surgery anyway but now I am having second thoughts.

If I was you I honestly wouldn't have the surgery if something worst will be the out come. Maybe try a dietician/nutrionist. Weight watchers. I know easier said then done but if they was to tell me like they did 1 more child can kill me I had my tubes tight cuz living is more important then having more kids. I have 3 kids by c section.

So there are options for you. It will take longer but it doesn't mean you can't slim down in the future.

I am a former bandster (soon to be bypasser). My surgeon removed my band and said I had some extremely dense scar tissue all through my stomach. She's making me wait a few months before going back. She said that that scar tissue massively improves with time. She even made the comment that its amazing how much it heals even only given a week or 2! If it has literally been YEARS for you, I wouldn't worry. Your surgeon won't do the surgery if he/she thinks you're too high risk. Good luck!

I would look for a second opinion with someone who specialuzes in revisions....I too am a failed band to bypass. Band slipped, stomach herniated, I was a mess. At the time of band removal I had so much inflammation and scarring that they had to postpone my RNY for 6 months....the RNY surgery and recovery ended up being a piece of cake for the most part....I've even been labeled an easy patient by the surgeon because I've just had no problems. FYI I had gallbladder removal 6-7 years ago, band put in 3years ago, then band removal, my surgery was several hours longer than a usual RNY because if the scar tissue and cleanup but all is well. And had a hiatal hernia repair with my RNY...

My surgeon is probably the best in the state for complicated cases and revisions though....he drives me insane with his surgeon personality but his skill cannot be questioned. Any surgeon should be able to tell you how many revisions they've handled and their rate for complications.

Good luck!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 219

Besides the failed band surgery, I had my gallbladder removed in 2001, but doc said there's not much scar tissue from that but when I was 16, in 1985, I had my spleen removed and that's why I have so much scar tissue and a lot of the reason I had bad band surgery. I actually think the doc was trying to talk me out of the surgery bc of the amount of scar tissue there is it is very risky, told me it will definitely be an open surgery, will be in the hospital for several days, have high risk for blood clots even though I will be on blood thinners, bc I have some characteristics in my blood that makes me high risk for blood clots and I have had one in my leg before. A lot of risk and I don't think I should have the surgery. Even a 2nd opinion is not going to reduce the risks that are already there...I think the doc can do the surgery, she would have told me if she couldn't..she concerned about my risks.