Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arthritis ... What do you take?

What do you take for joint pain / arthritis? I see my doc next week for my three month check so will ask then. I really miss Advil and Tylenol is like taking nothing for me... Humph!

I have Fibro so I miss my Advil and Motrin too. The only thing I can take over the counter is Extra Strength Tylenol. Your right, its like popping m&m's - does nothing. :-(

What do you take for joint pain / arthritis? I see my doc next week for my three month check so will ask then. I really miss Advil and Tylenol is like taking nothing for me... Humph!

yes please let us know what you find out. I haven't had surgery yet but it is my biggest fear strangely because I use a lot of advil and motrin. I've been trying to switch to tylenol to see how it goes but it is tough.

Say hello to pain!

Well, saying goodby to Celebrex for arthritis was my biggest fear - and has been realized. Without the help of Celebrex and other NSAID's I have been fairly miserable:(

I have asked the surgeon, the nurse practitioner, my primary care - the rheumatologist - and the answer keeps being - NO NSAID's - it awful. They will give me

Ultram (tramadol) - which does work for pain - but makes me feel really weird and gives me insomnia - not good. I take it sometimes when I feel desperate. I feel the same way about Tylenol - does not help much - but it does work a bit. I want to recommend the Arthritis strength of Tylenol - it is a stronger 8 hour formula - it works slightly better than the regular or extra strength. Wal-mart is the least expensive place to purchase this - their equate brand. I asked the surgeon about the extended release action with our altered system and the answer was - they don't really know - but that it is OK to take the extended form of this medication. Best of luck - I am hoping for some way to again take Celebrex????

Cymbalta! I love it and it really helps! I have been on it for about 2 years and it is safe with rny I'm 1 week out and I wouldn't live without it.

I'm still preop and this is a major concern for me. My knees are my biggest problem and I use meloxicam and voltaren gel. I'm supposed to be able to keep using the voltaren gel after surgery.

My suggestion would be the voltoren gel. They also make them in Patches. I have RA and have never been able to tolerate NSAIDS - they make me throw up violently. So I use the gel.

Well at least you guys are not allergic to Tylenol! I at a rock and hard place. Can't take NSAID and can't take Tylenol. That only leave me heavy heavy pain meds. Can't really function with that.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Well my doctor said celebrex

My surgeon says NO! to Celebrex or anything else in the NSAID category - I guess they have seen too many ulcers bleeding in the pouch after using NSAid's - it miserable. I had forgotten about Voltaren gel - the rheumatologist did give this to me but I having had much success with remembering or finding a good time to apply it regularly.

My doc cleared me for nuerontin, which takes some of the pain from the nerves. I've been using with Tylenol and it has been manageable. But I haven't had a really bad flair up since the surgery, so we will see. I hope you find some relief.

My doc cleared me for nuerontin' date=' which takes some of the pain from the nerves. I've been using with Tylenol and it has been manageable. But I haven't had a really bad flair up since the surgery, so we will see. I hope you find some relief.[/quote']

I thought nuerontin was for neuropathy?

I have Fibro so I miss my Advil and Motrin too. The only thing I can take over the counter is Extra Strength Tylenol. Your right, its like popping m&m's - does nothing. :-(

I take Flexeril 10mg and Amitriptyline 100mg for my Fibro at bedtime. It helps me to get a good nights sleep and helps with the pain as well. Cymbalta and Lyrica made me so sick and the withdrawals from it were worse. So these other meds seems to work for me.