Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions, no one to ask!

I would suggest calling bcbs to verify its 12 months. I'm in MA and it was less than that. I went to the initial seminar in November and had surgery on April 1. The program here required weekly weigh ins' date=' see a therapist, nutritionist and surgeon as well as a series of classes to help prepare you. I am a baby when it comes to pain and I barely used the pain meds given in and out of the hospital. It was more just uncomfortable vs actual pain. Feel free to ask any questions.[/quote']

Did you have to pay out of pocket for the therapist nutritionist and classes?

Anyone miss sitting down and sharing a meal with their families/significant others?? My kids pry won't even notice if I'm not eating but my boyfriends like "we'll I guess I won't get to take you out to dinner anymore". I tried to ease his mind by saying we could just share cause i would only need a few bites... He wasn't amused lol!

Anyone miss sitting down and sharing a meal with their families/significant others?? My kids pry won't even notice if I'm not eating but my boyfriends like "we'll I guess I won't get to take you out to dinner anymore". I tried to ease his mind by saying we could just share cause i would only need a few bites... He wasn't amused lol!

You will be able to go out I went out with my mom on monday just order something small and eat slow

The center/hospital I used did charge $400 out of pocket to cover classes that weren't covered by insurance. The therapist/nutritionist/surgeon appts were covered by insurance.

Also, I'm about 5 weeks out now and a big concern for me was eating with family/friends or going out. I did go out to dinner with a friend last week. I ordered off the appetizer menu and took home over half of it. I didn't feel out of place and felt like I was out with her like before surgery just a smaller, much smaller, meal and left overs. Saves money too! I think it helps to be out with someone who supports you and doesn't focus on how little you're eating.

I'm only a week out, So I'm still on liquids, I feel really left out right now, because I avoid the kitchen like the plague during mealtimes because the smell of food is difficult for me. And dinner is our only "family time" But that should get better once I'm back on real food.< /p>

The center/hospital I used did charge 400 out of pocket to cover classes that weren't covered by insurance. The therapist/nutritionist/surgeon appts were covered by insurance.

Also' date=' I'm about 5 weeks out now and a big concern for me was eating with family/friends or going out. I did go out to dinner with a friend last week. I ordered off the appetizer menu and took home over half of it. I didn't feel out of place and felt like I was out with her like before surgery just a smaller, much smaller, meal and left overs. Saves money too! I think it helps to be out with someone who supports you and doesn't focus on how little you're eating.[/quote']

Another good idea! Thank you!! I'm sure once all is said and done and I heal he will have a better attitude. Just "date nights" are the only alone time we ever get and I think he's worried I won't want to go.

There's a lot of variation on insurance requirements, some day a year of physician supervised weight loss, some will only require documentation by a medical professional that you have been obese for a certain amount of time. I'd call to verify exactly what they want out of the 12 months. I am almost 3 months out and the sagging has begun. Sigh, better sagging and skinny that fat and dying. We'll see how bad it is down the line. Maybe I can live with it, maybe I'll snippy snippy, I dunno, but I do know, bat wings and all, I'm healthier and feel better than I have in years. Pain is relative and very individual. I did not find it terrible, once I was discharged I took very few pain pills, but...I also never really slowed down. I was back up and running like crazy (exhausted but running) 2 weeks post-op.

It's not a walk in the park, but so far, totally worth it!!!!

Good luck!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2

Another good idea! Thank you!! I'm sure once all is said and done and I heal he will have a better attitude. Just "date nights" are the only alone time we ever get and I think he's worried I won't want to go.

What may help is planning something different for date night. Plan a picnic and a hike/walk or make your dinner together so you're spending time together but eating what you can eat. Yes things will change right away after surgery but you will find ways to spend time together that both of you can do and enjoy. If anything it may deepen the relationship. Customize date nights. I've been so blessed to have such supportive people in my life but they were afraid to of things changing but they understood things needed to change in order for me to be healthy and happy.

Also...I eat slow, we go out to dinner when the urge trikes, I either share with my son or just get what I want and know there will be waste. (Or leftovers). I eat my dinner in about the same time my family does.

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2

Such positive attitudes supportive advice and understanding!! I am greatly missing that from my everyday life! Thank you everyone!! I know I will have more questions after Monday! I'm attending a local seminar on gastric bypass to get the ball rolling!!

Did you have to pay out of pocket for the therapist nutritionist and classes?

My Bariatric center charges everyone $250 at the last class before surgery. This money is used like a membership payment and allows you unlimited access to nut, gym, nurse, and support groups.

Such positive attitudes supportive advice and understanding!! I am greatly missing that from my everyday life! Thank you everyone!! I know I will have more questions after Monday! I'm attending a local seminar on gastric bypass to get the ball rolling!!

This site is GREAT lots of support!

How bad is the pain after surgery? I've had 2 children.. I'm not virgin to pain I just want to know what to expect

I've done natural child birth and it definitely was not that painful but for me the first day out was quite painful but I was on so many medications that helped me get through. It's been better every day since then:)

I sort of miss this but the reward is so great it's worth it! I'm 17 days out and down 26 pounds ( 10 of those pre surgery) and feel great. I was so scared about this because me and my partner and family always bonded and spent time together doing things that involved food so I didn't know what we'd do but have found much better ways to spend time with my family:)