Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions, no one to ask!

While driving to another town for an MRI because i am too over weight for the MRI machine in my home town my mom suggested I look into gastric bypass. At first I was offended.. But I've battled with my weight my entire life so I calmed down and started googling on my iPhone... I have so many questions but I don't physically know anyone that has had the surgery to ask... Any one feel up to playing 20 questions?? :)

Did you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the process started?? I have bcbs insurance their website says for gastric bypass I have to do a weight loss program monitored by a dr for 12 months before they will approve the surgery.. Has anyone else had to do this?

I have bcbs of iowa.and had to be weighted in once a month for 6 months

And was approved after that my bmi was right ar 40 when I started but when they sent my papers to the insurence it was 38ish but they go by the beginning weight

Does everyone who has had this surgery get the excess skin? Anyone lucky enough to have awesome skin??

Does everyone who has had this surgery get the excess skin? Anyone lucky enough to have awesome skin??

Fat or extra skin- which would you prefer?

Im not sure I just had surgery two weeks ago I wasnt that big to start with but im sure I will have extra skin because I had 7 kids

How bad is the pain after surgery? I've had 2 children.. I'm not virgin to pain I just want to know what to expect

I'm only 2 weeks out but I do know several people that have had it for years and none of them have had the skin removed and they all say its not that bad that its way better than having all the fat

How bad is the pain after surgery? I've had 2 children.. I'm not virgin to pain I just want to know what to expect

It was my easiest surgery

I would suggest calling bcbs to verify its 12 months. I'm in MA and it was less than that. I went to the initial seminar in November and had surgery on April 1. The program here required weekly weigh ins, see a therapist, nutritionist and surgeon as well as a series of classes to help prepare you. I am a baby when it comes to pain and I barely used the pain meds given in and out of the hospital. It was more just uncomfortable vs actual pain. Feel free to ask any questions.

I have bcbs I didn't have to have weigh ins because my pcp had a record of my weight going back five years. Along with documentation that I was on supervised diets (ie weight watchers, neutrisystem etc) for 6 consecutive months