Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do we have to stay on these Protein Shakes each day my pouch its finding it harder and harder to keep it down.... o and how long before I can have my first margarita

My surgeon told me that when you get to the point of getting 64 grams of Protein a day from food then you don't have to do the shakes. The shakes are just a "helper" until you can eat regular food. The margarita question... hmmmm.... I had my first wine about 3 months out. Be careful because alcohol is empty calories and they can add up mighty quick. Also when you try your first drink make sure you are home, some people get drunk really quick some don't. I would also ask these two questions to your surgeon as well.

I'm 5 months out and still do shakes. As for alcohol....most doctors say 6 months. Me personally, I've seen what it can do to a rny patient that wasn't carful and it scared me so I won't touch a drop.

HW: 331 SW: 11/26/12 319lbs CW: 229 04/23/13 GW: 157

I was told a year. And only in very small amounts.

I'm 5 months out and still do shakes. As for alcohol....most doctors say 6 months. Me personally' date=' I've seen what it can do to a rny patient that wasn't carful and it scared me so I won't touch a drop.

HW: 331 SW: 11/26/12 319lbs CW: 229 04/23/13 GW: 157[/quote']

If you don't mind sharing, what was this experience?

If you don't mind sharing' date=' what was this experience?[/quote']

Well this person started out having a small drink every now and then and well now she's had 2 DUI's, into drugs, cheated on her husband that has now kicked her out and is in the process of a divorce and she's been in rehab and didn't learn a thing. She's lost her job and no one wants anything to do with her. I know another person that his wife had rny done and started drinking, got addicted. Cheated on him ended in a divorce. She lost the kids and wasn't a good situation at all.

I know this doesn't happen to everyone but seeing it with a few people has made my decision not to drink. I haven't been much of a drinker the past few years but I'm not going to even risk it. It's not worth it either way in my opinion.

HW: 331 SW: 11/26/12 319lbs CW: 229 04/23/13 GW: 157

Well this person started out having a small drink every now and then and well now she's had 2 DUI's' date=' into drugs, cheated on her husband that has now kicked her out and is in the process of a divorce and she's been in rehab and didn't learn a thing. She's lost her job and no one wants anything to do with her. I know another person that his wife had rny done and started drinking, got addicted. Cheated on him ended in a divorce. She lost the kids and wasn't a good situation at all.

I know this doesn't happen to everyone but seeing it with a few people has made my decision not to drink. I haven't been much of a drinker the past few years but I'm not going to even risk it. It's not worth it either way in my opinion.

Thanks so much for this. For me I will choose not as well. Not worth the risk for me. Thanks again:)

My surgeon told me six months as well. I didn't touch a drop until after that and even then it was a glass of wine before dinner. Still wound up with an ulcer at the anastomosis diagnosed at about a year post-op. The ulcer has since healed completely and I still like a glass of wine before dinner but it's a good idea to wait quite a while. Alcohol is a definite inflammatory and the last thing you want to mess around with while you're still in the healing process. When the time comes and if you're not overly sensitive to sugar, margaritas are a relatively low calorie drink - especially if you go easy on the triple sec.

Does alcohol cause ulcers??

I'm not sure if it does call ulcers. The reason we aren't allowed to have it is because it will hit our system really fast, and make us super drunk off of very little, and alcohol tends to be high in sugar and can cause dumping.

Does alcohol cause ulcers??

Well, and because your still healing. I can have alcohol after a year ..... Oh and empty calories

I can't have alcohol till after a year. My family has a low tolerance to alcohol (five out of seven of us are alcoholics) so I don't drink much for that reason. I do like an occasional glass of wine. I was told that with rny you will feel the effects of alcohol faster, get intoxicated on less, and it stays in your system longer (a proven fact). All those things are bad, especially for me, so I may give it up completely.

No one has said this to me but I have another reason why I wouldn't want to be drinking, ESPECIALLY while healing. Alcohol impairs judgment and even a little bit can make you not think about what you are doing. I would be afraid of eating or drinking too much too fast, not chewing thoroughly, or eating something I shouldn't. Any of those things would have painful consequences.

Even if you don't give up alcohol forever it's best to abstain for whatever amount of YOUR doctor recommends. And your family and friends will benefit from having a designated driver! :-)

I can't have alcohol till after a year. My family has a low tolerance to alcohol (five out of seven of us are alcoholics) so I don't drink much for that reason. I do like an occasional glass of wine. I was told that with rny you will feel the effects of alcohol faster' date=' get intoxicated on less, and it stays in your system longer (a proven fact). All those things are bad, especially for me, so I may give it up completely.

No one has said this to me but I have another reason why I wouldn't want to be drinking, ESPECIALLY while healing. Alcohol impairs judgment and even a little bit can make you not think about what you are doing. I would be afraid of eating or drinking too much too fast, not chewing thoroughly, or eating something I shouldn't. Any of those things would have painful consequences.

Even if you don't give up alcohol forever it's best to abstain for whatever amount of YOUR doctor recommends. And your family and friends will benefit from having a designated driver! :-)[/quote']

At my nurse education class they clarified the alcohol issue. The primary reason for alcohol restrictions is to prevent liver failure. Our livers are working very hard to process toxins released from the fat we are losing quickly. Alcohol at this stage can cause liver damage or failure. Some people over the years my program has been in place have died from this, hence the one year restriction.

Another reason is that all of us who are overweight have a food addiction and addictive personalities. As we can no longer eat much food and none of the foods that caused our obesity, some people transfer addictions to other things like alcohol, drugs, sex, internet, gambling, or even exercise. (Anything done compulsively that controls your life is an addiction). Alcohol and/or drugs will harm you under the best of conditions, but it can cause harm faster and be deadlier in the first year after surgery. We need time to heal, lose our weight, and learn to find healthy substitutes our food addiction so we don't transfer to another unhealthy lifestyle.

Well this person started out having a small drink every now and then and well now she's had 2 DUI's' date=' into drugs, cheated on her husband that has now kicked her out and is in the process of a divorce and she's been in rehab and didn't learn a thing. She's lost her job and no one wants anything to do with her. I know another person that his wife had rny done and started drinking, got addicted. Cheated on him ended in a divorce. She lost the kids and wasn't a good situation at all.

Sounds to me like your two friends had other issues going before the drinking.

I have had a few drinks here an there. Bbdoodle is correct make sure you are with people you trust when you take your first drink. It hits you fast. I can see how people become alcoholics after rny. The feeling of drunkenness and relaxation were immediate for me. I really only drink on special occasions or after a very long day at work with a hot bath!

Sounds to me like your two friends had other issues going before the drinking.

I have had a few drinks here an there. Bbdoodle is correct make sure you are with people you trust when you take your first drink. It hits you fast. I can see how people become alcoholics after rny. The feeling of drunkenness and relaxation were immediate for me. I really only drink on special occasions or after a very long day at work with a hot bath!

How long after surgery did you wait to have your first drink