Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on pre-op preparation

Hey all you bandsters, I need some advice. I will be banded in 1 month. Should I be changing my diet now (ie. weaning myself off carbonation, caffiene) or should I just blow it out since I only have a month left?

What do you guys think?

I think acting 'as if' is probably the better route to take. You will have to get used to chewing more, eating less, choosing Protein over other foods, drinking more Water EXCEPT for during meals. Any exercise routine you can implement ahead of time will only be to your benefit also.

Many people go off on a 'last supper' binge only to find out they can still have many of their favorite foods after banding - just in moderation.

Any weight loss before your sugery just helps your surgeon to maneuver better inside.

Good luck!!

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have done more in preparation as far as my diet is concerned (pre-surgery)

I found that the liquid phase was very difficult for an entire week, and some doctors have you on the liquid phase for longer than that.

I would have started trying to eat more Soup instead of something solid for meals.

One thing I've learned is that everyone is so different, and how their body reacts to certain things are very different. So I think if I would have started a semi-diet before my surgery, then going right into the liquid phase, then mushy phase would have been easier to adjust to. I don't think I would have had as much hunger pains if I would have curtailed the inhaleing of food before hand :)

What does your doctor recommend? Did he put any info in your informational packet?

I did not worry so much about the liquid phase pre surgery. It is so different after surgery, you are bloated, swollen gassy, the liquid phase is not so bad but is hard pre surgery , since you have no bloating swelling or gas. I was not even hungry for 2 weeks after surgery due to all the gas and bloatedness & swelling. A few things I did do pre surgery was to practice the small bites and to chew my food really good and put my fork down between bites . I also did the no drinking during or 1 hour after my meals...practicing those helped me. Also I followed the Protein first and carbs last rule just to get used to it. Good Luck to you

I'd go ahead and wean off the carbonation now. If you have any withdrawal headaches, go ahead and get it over w/ before your surgery. Yes, please start drinking as much Water as you possibly can, but not during meals (HARD habit to break), start walking regularly (or whatever form of exercise you enjoy) (this will also help you recoup faster). You'll do great!:)

Thanks for all the great information. I think my common sense was telling me to start easing into the transition now. I will make it easier and probably not so shocking. I have started walking almost every day and I almost always have some kind of liquid in my hand (usually water) so I don't think that will be a problem. I do need to practice chewing more and taking smaller bites.

I told my husband he could be sure that I really, really wanted this surgery because I would have to give up carbonated drinks. This is huge because I love, love, love diet coke. But I would give up more than diet coke to have the band. It is going to be better than I ever thought diet coke was.:)

I would greatly appreciate any more info or advice if you guys can think of anything.

You know, I took a few sips of my husband's Diet Coke tonight and I didn't even care for the taste anymore. Walking, drinking Water, and chewing... hey, you're already ahead of the game! I wish I'd known to do that before surgery. It would have saved a lot of frustration!:)

I have been practicing smaller bites, chewing, and eating more Protein. Water is not a challenge for me to get down, I drink water all the time. Then tonight I tried the don't drink while I eat and one hour after. I actually did it, but boy it was hard! I have always drank with my meals, and that was tough waiting for the hour. You might want to practice that too!

Betty

Good for you, Betty! Sounds like another winner on our hands! Oops, I mean "loser"!:) When I was first banded, I was trying to not drink 30 min. before and 1 hr. after a meal. It was about impossible to get your Water quota in for the day. I still have to work on that every day. Some days are great, others are way short.