Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the biggest weight loss myth you have ever heard?

I spent a summer jogging wearing a green Garbage bag under my shirt.

Once I had a very sweet teeny tiny fitness instructor tell me if I cut out 1 Pop a day I could lose as much as 30 pound in a year. I haven't drank regular pop since I was in my early teens. I asked her to calculate how much I would way if I hadn't I hadn't switched way back when and if I could include that weight in my total weight loss. I mean really, I could have weighed another 900 lbs if I hadn't switched to sugar free pop 30 years ago.

Based on that I am now down 1,000 pounds not bad eh!!!!!

I think you guys have pretty much covered everything I have ever heard of. I remember when I was in highschool there was some liquid drink plan that was really popular. You couldn't buy it in stores, you had to buy it from a door-to-door rep. I wish I could remember the name. Anyways, I did it for two weeks. I got up one morning and was in the shower when I suddenly felt very weak and passed out in the shower. Of course, my mother immediately took me to my doctor. I was suffering from malnutrition. He told her to take me straight out to Breakfast for pancakes, eggs and bacon. I never took that stuff again.

The whole food pyramid is the biggest bunch of hooey I ever saw! and....fat does not make you fat. CARBS do. After 1 year of low-carbing my lipid profile was much improved and PICTURE PERFECT! When I fell off the LC wagon (after I quit smoking) my bad choleserol levels started creeping up and now I'm borderline high. I'll be glad that the band will help to keep me away from those nasty refined carbs.

The carbohydrate addicts diet. It was great. Very restricted carbs for the first two meals of the day. But then get this. You get one meal of the day where you have an hour and in that hour you can eat anything you want! Naturally, I had full strategy session to plan on how I could cram as much into that hour as possible. I was starving at that point! Its entirely possible to eat more carbs in one hour than one would normally eat in a day and then some if one if determined. But it was all allowed in the diet... So of course it didn't work out when I was eating multiple meals at once and Desserts. I can't believe I fell for it... I saw it on Oprah and bought the book.

The carbohydrate addicts diet. It was great. Very restricted carbs for the first two meals of the day. But then get this. You get one meal of the day where you have an hour and in that hour you can eat anything you want! Naturally, I had full strategy session to plan on how I could cram as much into that hour as possible. I was starving at that point! Its entirely possible to eat more carbs in one hour than one would normally eat in a day and then some if one if determined. But it was all allowed in the diet... So of course it didn't work out when I was eating multiple meals at once and desserts. I can't believe I fell for it... I saw it on Oprah and bought the book.

I remember that book, I bought it too and tried it. It didn't work for me either. Gee, big surprise! HA!

I wonder why Alcoholics Anonymous doesn't use that method of curing addiction?? Abstain from alcohol all day....but then it's OK to drink at night!! Oh, that's right. It doesn't work THAT'S WHY!!!

I wish I could post this anonymously because I know I'm probably going to catch hell for it, but here it is. I think the idea that you need to drink 8 glasses of Water a day is complete crap. I'm not saying that 8 glasses a day will do any harm, I just don't think it's necessary unless you are very active, eat tons of salty food, or are exposed to hot weather.

In fact, snopes.com has an article about this very topic. I think someone a long time ago came up with this theory and it has since taken on a life of its own. See: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

I have been trying to drink about 8 cups of Fluid a day, but that's only because having a bottle of Water in my hand prevents me from having food in my hand (and subsequently in my mouth). It's only in this regard that I think drinking water helps you lose weight.

And drinking water when I'm hungry has certainly never helped quell the hunger. Water will not curb your appetite.

Your not getting any arguement from me!! I happen to believe you are right and it's ironic that I layed in bed last night thinking this very same thing. I drink fluids to fill the void and quench my thirst but I am not doing the chug-a-lug thing! Thanks for posting your thoughts.

OK the biggest load of you know what was when i 17 someone told me the fasted way to burn off fat is to wrap plastic around your tummy and go for jog. Allow me to remind you that i was only 17, so i did it, i came back all sweaty and proud that i was melting away, and gulped about 2 litres of Water, i did this for 2 weeks, realised i hadnt lost a kilo!

2nd load of crap was my cousin who was a very big girl and competitive i might add lost loads of weight well over 30kgs, me being still in the fat boat asked her in her skinny jeans how she did it, her answer was that she didnt consume carbs after 2pm. i and my sister have since suspected that she too has had the lap band but has not told us. I cannot wait till she asks me how i lost my weight, i intend to tell her that the "not eating carbs after 2pm" actually worked for me! lol

Banded: 7/2/07

weight pre-op: 103kg

weight to date: 96kg

I agree this is a great comeback!!!!!

Ohhhh, let's not forget colon cleansing! Take herbs, poop like a champ, and lose 30-50 pounds!

I'm still LOL. I almost spit out my sugar free Jello.

Lets not forget the cabbage Soup diet.

Day One:

Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your Soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and Water.

Day Two:

Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry Beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.

Day Three:

Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.

Day Four:

Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.

Day Five:

Beef And Tomatos: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomtoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of Water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef one one of the beef days (but not both).

Day Six:

Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart's content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.

Day Seven:

Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.

I had to give up on day 4. I got sooooooo sick.

I did a very different cabbage Soup diet than the one you listed. All it was was cabbage soup! Nothing else except of course Water. You could eat as much cabbage soup as you wanted. At the end of the week I had lost 12lbs spent half of each day on the toilet and was absolutely starving. I think it took 3-4 days to gain back every ounce I had lost, lol.

I did a very different cabbage Soup diet than the one you listed. All it was was cabbage soup! Nothing else except of course Water. You could eat as much cabbage soup as you wanted. At the end of the week I had lost 12lbs spent half of each day on the toilet and was absolutely starving. I think it took 3-4 days to gain back every ounce I had lost, lol.

I did that one tooo.....ugh....the memories.....blah.....

:angry

Sorry, but call me lazy for not reading all 4 pages, but did anyone mention the Exercise in a Bottle pills? How many bought those pills. I claim the 5th.

Super Dieter's Tea!

You drink the tea at bedtime, and eat 'normally' during the day or follow their low cal menu.

My results? If you drink the tea....drink it while sitting on the toilet, because you are going to have the clean-out of a lifetime. The tummy rumbling will wake you from a deep sleep too. Reminder if you're going to try this....sleep on the toilet as well.

It has the same magical ingredients as any "Smooth Move" tea.

The taste? Herby bile.

The price? I want to say around 10.00.

The results....well...I wasn't constipated! I also created a gentle fear of all tea bags that don't have a label on them in my cupboard.

I have a neighbor who "diets" one week a month....every month! The remainder of the month she eats whatever she wants. But during that week...OMG...she reeks! Her house reeks....She eats nothing but cabbage, lean hamburger and boiled eggs. Makes me shiver!!!! I kid you not, it seeps out her pores and she smells!

Give me my "easy way out" band!!!!!!

Maybe I should buy her a roll of red cellophane....for her week ya know????

Kat