Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is NORMAL?

I have been banded for 5 1/2 months. I just got my 4th fill yesterday. I have 9cc in my 10cc band. I am still waiting for the full feeling. I thought I had experienced it about 2 weeks after surgery. When I started eating some more solid foods I could only eat a small portion and would get this thick feeling in my chest and middle of my back. Well that went away quickly and of course I was able to eating any and everything. After 4 fills now I have alot of discomfort and gurggling when I eat and I am not feeling the full filling. Maybe because I have given up eating, because of the discomfort. I am taking very small bites and chewing alot. What am I doing wrong?????????????????????????????? I am thankful that I have lost 46 lbs. I have 150 more to go so the 46 is a drop in the bucket. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks so much!

Johni

banded 8/31/06 by Dr Malley in Kansas

420/374/?

Johni

What sorts of things are you eating? Keep in mind that just because you have 9cc in the 10cc band, you STILL might need a bit more fill - but if you have discomfort when eating - that isn't good either.

If you are eating good solid foods like chicken Beef, Pork or Fish - you should at least feel like you are no longer ravenously hungry anymore...

Maybe you should throw out that concept of trying to feel "full" and just stop eating when your body stops screaming at you.

Trust me, I know it's easier said than done. I also understand that "drop in the bucket" feeling. That is why I never succeeded at dieting before. The task was simply too great to undertake all at once. BUT, now I can take a little break and then get back on track without instantly gaining every ounce I lost and then some. That's the very best thing about the band.

Please tell what sorts of things you are eating. 9cc should be doing SOMETHING - even if it isn't great or perfect, you should have some restriction.

Keep the faith.

Doughmommy, I can totally relate, I was at 8.5cc's and relatively no restriction, I tought there must be something wrong with me. When I went in to see my fill nurse, she informed that I was perfectly normal and that the vg band won't burst till it hits around 33cc's! So basically if you aren't feeling full and you are eating solid foods then go in and see your doc or whoever does your fill and tell them about the discomfort and the lack if fulness too. My discomfort was just firstbite syndrome, in the mornings i had just enough restriction to get that. There is no way to know til you go have them check you out :)

Ok, dont you want the food to stay in the pouch? That is what gives you the full feeling for 4-5 hours, right? Well it is uncomfortable when I eat because of the food gurggling through. But it gets more uncomfortable with every fill. Right after surgery was perfect. I could eat small amounts without pain and I would stay full for 4-5 hours, sometimes I wasnt hungry at the next mealtime. It was great! I thought I was suppose to be looking for that fullness again.

This is what I have been eating:

Breakfast-slim fast

Lunch- chicken chili

Supper-Hamburger patty and green Beans

snack- yogurt raisins

This is an average day. I couldnt eat all of the hamburger patty because I gave up because of the discomfort.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Also my DR is 3 hours away so I dont see him but 1 time a month.

Well first bite syndrome is caused by spasms in your stomach/stoma. Mine has actually lessened a little with my last fill now that I have restriction. I too could feel the food going through and it was sometimes uncomfortable but didn't hurt. It should never hurt when you eat. But now the food backs up immediatly to fill the pouch and I never actually feel it going through (probably because it goes through so slowly) unless I didn't chew a piece well enough, hehe. My advice is to go see your doctor, he should be able to fix things so that you are comfortable and full on your little servings :)