Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For pre-ops who have heard RNY horror stories...

No one is shoving anything down your throat its online u have the choice to read or you have the choice to ignore. So why not ignore and just stay with all the non complicated perfect ones? Nobody stands over yal yelling read my story so even make such a problem about a issue that is so easily solved. :-/

And if you experience a problem just know we are all here to listen to you and try to help. Period. :)

What people are trying to say is we have seen all the bad stories and do not need anymore shoved down our throats.

I want to support you, but I don't want to see things like "warning this surgery ruined my life... don't do this" .

If you feel you wished someone told you before, then you did not do enough research. I feel fully prepared for the choice I am making and raised my life insurance just in case.

You guys are saying people are not giving their honest experience here, but they are! Not everyone has had a bad experience.

We are getting a lot of bad stuff from family and friends and joined this site for support and not warnings. You are entitled to get support too, but you don't have to be negative in every post and bring others down with you.

Sorry, but if you want honesty I am definitely always the first to give it. Don't hijack a nice thread make your own gloomy thread and those of is who chose to read it will. This is the last place I want to be judged about the decision I am about to make. I have a friend who is successful with rny and one who died from it. I know the risks.

Thank you, Lou for understanding the point of this post. You can't see me but I am applauding.

I have to admit, and I probably going to catch hell from one of the above posters for being brutally honest myself, but I am now EXTREMELY angry about my positive post being highjacked. (Abby, I do appreciate the apology above.)

Please re-read my original text. I was NOT referring to other bariatric patient's telling their story, whether it was good or bad- I was referring to other people who are more than willing to tell a horrible RNY/WLS story to someone facing the decision of whether to do this. Please understand that, because now I am referring to other bariatric patients.

RNY can and does save lives. Just like a heart bypass, there are successes and failures. Why is it, when someone is trying to be supportive to a newbie, that someone whose surgery was less than successful or had complications has to piss in the cheerios? WHY? I realize that it is painful, and I will pray give, words of support, to those people too, but damn, if you want to warn others, start your own post and title it "BEWARE! This surgery can ruin your life." THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT SCARES PEOPLE. I found these people here, even in my hospital support groups- tales of hernias, dumping, pain, complications. It's not a judgement, it just is. I have spent hours listening to both sides, and quite frankly, I am tired of it! Can't you just let happy people be happy?

I also take issue with the implication that I am sugar coating it. Surgery is risky, painful, and costly. The prep for it is long and difficult. I wouldn't wish this on ANYONE. But if you are thinking about it, then you need to know the good that can come, not just the bad.

I'm sorry it ruined your life, but if it helps someone improve their life, then let them enjoy it. I know this is a support group, but I cannot support discouraging others for your own agenda.

I <3 you.....seriously....love you from your nose to your toes!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

I <3 you.....seriously....love you from your nose to your toes!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

You love ME!? Aw....

Now with that said lets move the hell on and be nosey about what's for dinner tonight!! LoL

Lotsa love to all yall.

And naw for real what we eatin I'm hungry. . . <3

I started this process on July 16' date=' 2012. I'm a relative newbie, just having my surgery 56 days ago.

My new pet peeve is people who readily offer what I like to call "RNY tales of terror"- you know, the stories about the one person everybody knows who had RNY, who either had debilitating complications or who lost half of their original body weight only to gain it all back and more.

If you are pre op and have been discouraged by these stories, I want you to hear mine- so far.

I had my surgery less than two months ago. I'm close to being off all my insulin. My blood pressure is even better than before. My joints feel better. I have not had a Migraine since just before the surgery. I have had no heartburn. Although I was tired a lot a month ago, I'm slowly regaining energy and strength. I have had not horrible reactions to any food. I have to remind myself to eat. I have cravings, but they are easier to resist. There was some pain post op, but it was well managed, and improved quickly. I sleep better and my husband reported I am snoring less. I've lost 47 lbs, and 28 inches throughout my torso and upper limbs.

Best of all...I don't regret it at all. I only wish I was ready to do this sooner.[/quote']

Good post. I do always let my lil complication be know though... I also let it be known I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Because I'm positive instead of loosing 140lbs.. I probably would have made my way up to 400lbs. Stuck in my body even worse and who knows what health issue would have followed. Instead I choose surgery to save my life. When someone would speak of the bad things or talk about the ultimate fear... Death. I'd tell them how I felt about it... For me all the risks where worth it cus I was not truly living in my 360lb body. I was struggling. Now... I'm living :-D my main goal for having the surgery was so I could move up in my job an work full time... I accomplished that in only 3 months after surgery :-D I still have some head work to do :-) nothing in life is easy. But this surgery was the best thing for me and well worth it :-D

Shyanne I feel the same way. I look at it like I had to go through all of that to be where I am today and where I am today includes so much more than just weightloss. It includes an amazing partner who gave me an amazing family to rely on since I had lost mine and I look back often and say I went through that hell but the Lord rewarded me greatly in the end. My surgery and everyones changes more than their weight I say it changes their life and that's why I always say the Kelly that got on that table in May died and a new one woke up and to that I thank God for that. There's a song by Mary J Blige called stronger and one lyric says :

I'm stronger, stronger, stronger

Sometimes I can't believe

That you are with me

There's nobody lucky as me

So I get on my knees

To make sure that He

Knows that I'm grateful

For what He gave me

I will survive

I will survive

As long as it's you by my side

We've been through the storm

We've been through it all

We had some close calls

But never would fall

We climbed all the mountains

Walked through all the valleys

And you never left me behind

I found my way through the clouds

No more runnin' scared and closing my eyes, oh

I will be true, this love from my heart

I'm laying my life on the line

Oh, I will survive

Thought somebody could relate to that song also. Its kinda my anthem

Wow- what an interesting and well needed post. I have to say my surgery was January 24 and I have had a successful recovery with no complications. We all know that there are complications with any procedure big and or small. It is nice for all those out there pre-op to hear the successful stories. There are just too many uneducated people out there bad mouthing WLS when they have NO clue what they are talking about. So for all of you that are getting ready to take the plunge always know there can be complications that is just part of life. For many of us this was the BEST decision we have made to get healthy and live our new lives. I feel it is important to research your surgeon find out how long he/she has practiced, talk about complications and risks and do as much research as possible to make this a positive change/event in your life. Best advice is to follow your surgeon's program. Each program is a little different and that is okay as long as we get the end result and live out the rest of our lives healthy and happy!!!!

You love ME!? Aw....

For standing up for yourself/your post....love ya bunches!!!

I'm really happy to see that hearing this is encouraging to pre op patients, and glad to hear from those doing well post op. Weight loss surgery is not a trip to the spa. It is a lot of dedication, commitment, and effort. I thought going into this I could do it all alone, but the truth is we need support, and the support of someone who's been through it is invaluable. I have made several wonderful friends in this process, and even though my current friends were cheering me on, hearing, "If I can do it, you can" held a certain weight (no pun intended.)

Couldn't have said it better!! It really takes help and support. My kids have been my rock so supportive and so kind. My daughter came up and gave me the biggest hug today (she is 15), and told me how proud of me she was for "going through all of this so they can have a healthy mom". I started to tear up!

Couldn't have said it better!! It really takes help and support. My kids have been my rock so supportive and so kind. My daughter came up and gave me the biggest hug today (she is 15)' date=' and told me how proud of me she was for "going through all of this so they can have a healthy mom". I started to tear up![/quote']

That's a sweet girl right there!