Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Evaluation and Bipolar Disorder.

I am new to world of WLS. I have my first appointment coming in a couple of weeks. I am worried about the mental eval. and my bipolar disorder. My bipolar is well controlled. I take my medicine regularly. I am worried that the psychologist is going to somehow use my mental illness against me and not pass me. Has anyone else with bipolar disorder had WLS?

I don't have bipolar but have anxiety/depression, and my bariatric nurse has talked to me a lot about approval when you've got mental stuff going on. The big questions I had to answer were whether or not I'd been hospitalized for a psychiatric problem (which was no), and whether I was being treated for it (which was yes). My doc had to fill out a form saying I was mentally stable and ready for surgery.

Louisville, KY ~ RNY June 2013 ~ Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I have (now) well controlled Bipolar and anxiety/depression disorders. When I first went through the psych evaluation, I was not passed because I was not in a good mental state at the time. My psych based my approval over a 165 question, t/f test. The first time around I answered pessimistically, and was not able to proceed until I had 6 months of therapy and my illness was under control. I had my second eval last month and passed with flying colors.

Just go in with a positive mentality and you will be fine.

Thanks for your replies. That helps me feel better. I sure was stressing about it last night. I thought what was the point of putting all this money and time into this if they are just going to fail me on the mental evaluation. I am more worried about this evaluation then anything else I have to go thru to proceed with surgery. I have a friend who going thru this with me and she is doing it purely for cosmetic reasons. I have major health problems from being overweight, I need this surgery to help save me.

jens1, i too am new to this wls journey...i too have MH concerns in my background. i have been stable now for 3 years but the first doctor i went to would not accept me because i was not 5 years post hospitalization. subsequently, i have found a well regarded practice that WILL accept me as a patient...but of course i still will have to pass the psych eval. fingers crossed. p.s. i know of half a dozen people personally who have had wls with a dx of a smi (serious mental illness of some sort) all were deemed stable at the times of their surgery and i only know of one who ended up having serious difficulty post-wsl.

I am also wondering if my meds will affect whether I get the sleeve or a bypass. Due to the malabsorption issues of the bypass. I would like a bypass, but if it came down to it I would do the sleeve. I guess that is one of the questions I can ask on Friday at my appointment.

I have a cousin with severe bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. She had a rny with no problems. Don't worry yourself sick about the psych evaluation. You can do it! :)