Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your portion sizes?

Curious to know portion sizes for meals. I know everyone is different and pouch sizes differ. For me I need a warm drink before facing any Breakfast which now is usually meat sometimes 2oz chilli. lunch will be about 200 ml Soup with some crackers. dinner the other day was a boil in the bag piece of cod and a yogurt. I keep away from Snacks and just fill up on Water. As it is quite cold now I have recently boiled water rather than cold goes down a lot easier.

This is how I do it, but we know everyone is different. When I serve dinner I always serve my boyfriend first, my kids and finally whats left over which really isn't a lot I eat that. I drink a lot of Water and I do a spot of Mio in it. If you have problems go to Walmart and buy you a child divider tray kinda tricks the mind.

Thanks for the reply. I am now trying to keep to 2 - 3oz meat per meal, 3oz veggies and 2oz potatoes/pasta/ rice. I always eat the meat first then veggies then carbs. Found now I finish meals and still be a littke hungry. I don't have Snacks as per my diet sheet so this is why maybe I can still be hungry after meals? If really fancy a snack I will have a piece of fruit as I figured it was snacks that I couldn't control in my pre-surgery days!

To be honest I'm five yrs out and I have yet to finish a childs portion. I've also not felt physical hunger since surgery. Do this. Eat your small portion and walk away and drink Water. If you don't your liable to stretch ur pouch and defeat your purpose. Do you think maybe mentally your thinking ur hungry or is it a actual physical hunger?? If its hard u can even resort to child size Utensils. Your eating right starting with Protein and ending with the carb/starch. You may want to do the cottage cheese test write it down and speak to your surgeon. I'm kinda perplexed at ur situation to be honest. Hmm.

Wanted to say too watch ur fruit consumption they are natural sugars but can cause problems too bc they break down eventually into simple sugars. If I snack I do a string cheese or I will make me a smoothie. I'm not sure how your diet is set up or what sensitivities you have.

Hello I'm 10 months out I can eat about 1 cup rice 1/2 cup Beans & 1/4 of lettuce with Tomato but the salad I make it big so I don't eat the cup rice ect... Sometimes I eat way less

To be honest I'm five yrs out and I have yet to finish a childs portion. I've also not felt physical hunger since surgery. Do this. Eat your small portion and walk away and drink Water. If you don't your liable to stretch ur pouch and defeat your purpose. Do you think maybe mentally your thinking ur hungry or is it a actual physical hunger?? If its hard u can even resort to child size Utensils. Your eating right starting with Protein and ending with the carb/starch. You may want to do the cottage cheese test write it down and speak to your surgeon. I'm kinda perplexed at ur situation to be honest. Hmm.

Hello, it is physical hunger I'm sure.....There are days when I do struggle to have the minimal amount of food and other days I feel that I can eat more than I have on my plate over and above the amount stated. When I get that feeling I walk away and occupy myself with something else until it passes. The diet sheet that my NUT gave me suggests 2 Snacks a day as well as Desserts after lunch and dinner. I am eating what I feel in the main that I am comfortable with, As I can be slow in eating and to eat the amount suggested would mean I'd be grazing or wasting food. As I feel grazing was my "old life" I want to keep definite mealtimes during the day, not for the day to be one continual meal (hope that I'm not confusing anyone LOL) Feb 8th I will be 2 months out and I guess I'm still in the "bedding in" period and everything is still very new. I'm so happy I found this forum as I'm a firm believer of there not being a silly question and glad I can bounce ideas off other people....

Hello I'm 10 months out I can eat about 1 cup rice 1/2 cup Beans & 1/4 of lettuce with Tomato but the salad I make it big so I don't eat the cup rice ect... Sometimes I eat way less

Hello, I am now having salad and I didn't realise I could miss it soooo much! No dressing, salad consists of lettuce, red onion, bell pepper and cucumber. Last night I had a small chicken breast with the salad combo and REALLY enjoyed it. Was able to keep it all down which I was over the moon about. Will now have salad with my Protein and see how I get on. I used to have a small potato with my dinner, but will now only have potatoes once or twice a week. Rice, at the moment I can take or leave it so not fussed about it.

I think this surgery for everyone and myself is discovering how to use ur food as fuel instead of comfort. If ur body is hungry actually hungry u put fuel in it. I think everything's gonna click with u like mine has. I now go thru a grocery store in 20 mins and don't read lables bc I already know 90% unless it's new then I have to educate myself.

I personally love salad. I will do like a vinegar dressing instead of cream based. One thing we have to watch tho is sprouts becareful with them they carry salmonella and u can get sick from em. I personally love them but I don't like praying to the toilet lol.

Snacks for me I will do turkey pepperonis and string cheese I like those or I will do a small cup they look like yogurt cups of cottage cheese and I will put a few chunks of fresh pineapple on it with bannana.

I am almost 12 weeks out and my portion size is 2 ounces. My doc's rules are to eat 5-6 times per day and that is what I do. I was told that I should be at 1 ounce servings at 1 months, 2 ounces at 2 months, 3 ounces at 3 months, etc...until 6 months. At 6 months I should be at 6 ounces. I cannot imagine eating that much, but we'll see what happens when I get there. So far I am a little behind the schedule, but when I go over 2 ounces it hurts.

To me, it sounds like your portions are large, but your surgeon may have done a different size pouch than my doc. I am also to focus on Protein - at least 60 grams per day. I always hit that mark and I don't have any room in my meals for anything that isn't high in Protein.

I would talk to your doctor about your meal sizes and what you are eating to make sure that you are on track with his/her expectations.

I am 6 weeks out and can only handle 1 oz. My surgeon would like me at about 3 oz. But sometimes one kills me

I am the same with the yogurt i can slowly eats a 4 oz cup yogurt with no issues. Thought it was strange but I guess it is probably normal. Thanks for sharing

I am 6 weeks out and can only handle 1 oz. My surgeon would like me at about 3 oz. But sometimes one kills me

Have you lost over 30 pounds in 6 weeks? Did you stall at all or has it been consistent? I haven't lost anything in about 5 days & it's ticking me off.

My dr has seemed to be one of the strictest doctors on this site I was on liquids for the first 3 weeks then yesterday was put on pureed foods for two to four weeks but I'm supposed to have 3 ounces of Protein and 3 ounces of vegetables they said it may take awhile for me to be able to get up to that amount but yesterday and today I was able to eat 3 ounces of protein but only once a day