Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming out of Anesthesia and Nausea when waking

My question is about the immediate reactions after anesthesia....

I have special circumstances because I am allergic to morphine and get highly nauseous. In the past, my operating team has given me certain meds (its a steroid) to prevent that nausea..... I also get a scopalamine patch behind the ear

I also HATE being tubed and have experienced sore throats for weeks after past surgery.

So when you come out of anesthesia, and you begin to throw up, how difficult is that? Can one even throw up since they just did stomach surgery????

I was nauseous but did not get sick.. The nurses were great about getting that under control... An I was never nauseous again. I'm sure there is an alternative to morphine... They typically give anti nausea meds prior to the iv pain meds as well.

I was nauseated for days but from the Fentanyl they gave me for pain. My surgeon switched the med and I started to feel better. We had a long discussion regarding nausea because this was a fear of mine. I had a scopalamine patch and was given zofran, regaln and phenergan as needed. I never threw up just was nauseated. I still use Zofran as I continue to have occasional bouts of nausea after eating. It is random so one never knows what will cause me to be nauseous

You can throw up- I did once when I was home- the great thing is you no longer have that stomach acid and enzymes, bile that usually comes up. .

I was nauseated for days but from the Fentanyl they gave me for pain. My surgeon switched the med and I started to feel better. We had a long discussion regarding nausea because this was a fear of mine. I had a scopalamine patch and was given zofran, regaln and phenergan as needed. I never threw up just was nauseated. I still use Zofran as I continue to have occasional bouts of nausea after eating. It is random so one never knows what will cause me to be nauseous

You can throw up- I did once when I was home- the great thing is you no longer have that stomach acid and enzymes, bile that usually comes up. .

Excellent answer and thank you!!!