Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newby need advice ..

Hi there, I'm thinking about banding and of course am nervous as a cat about it, but have had too many AHA moments in one lifetime - can anyone give me experience re Dr Leung in Surrey vs going to Mexico, cost and waiting time etc, also does the medical system in BC kick in for any costs at all? TIA

I have talked to some of Dr Leung's patients they seem to really like him but he is strict or used to be. He used to make you lose a certain amount or your didn't get a fill etc. But I know his patients didn't mind they felt it kept them on track.

You might check out Dr Amson and I think there is another surgeon in BC. I know the docs in Mexico are pretty good Ortiz, Rumbat and Kuri. But I am still a fan of getting a surgeon closer to home.

Hello, I am a patient of Dr Leung. Search his name and you can find a few posts about him.

He is almost like either you love him or you don't.

Personally, I love him. Here are some strengths and weaknesses as I see them

Strengths...........

• He is a highly skilled surgeon
  • He is skilled at fills. I can hardly feel a thing.
  • His patients show good results
  • He does all his own fills
  • His secretary is awesome, informative
  • He cares
  • and yes he is one of the strictest, this can be both good and bad

He HAS made me feel as though I can't go for another fill, but if I needded a fill, I made an appointment. He has never questioned or challenged me. I was less than 20 pounds inbetween my last two fills...

The only weaknesses I have noticed is that he is hard to communicate wtih, as Chinese is his first language. So he is not exactly the sympathetic 'ear'. But I heard YEARS ago that, many skilled surgeons have poor bedside manners.

I have heard of other weaknesses but really shouldn't list them as I have not experienced them myself.

I too hear that the surgeons in Mexico are excellent, but personally I like having someone 'here' to do my fills and 'here' if I ever have any problems, such as an overfill or blockage. I have to drive 4 1/2 hours and stay overnight to get a fill, can't imagine going to Mexico and don't know if any professionals closer would do fills on a patients from elsewhere. I head that Dr Leung will not.

FRUSTRATING how few choices we have in Western Canada.

Do check out the guy in Ladner. Search Ladner for his name and address.

There is a thread listing Canadian band surgeons here somewhere.

And good luck my dear. I have found this an emotional journey but I know I know I could never have achieved what I have without my band. And now, with a recent nice tight fill, I can see the end of the tunnel and I feel truly wonderful and thankful for my band....

Hi Sunny.

In addition to all the above, I don't think BC kicks anything in. But like everyone else, you can claim it as a medical expense as long as your total expenses exceed $1,884 or 3% of your total income. I just got my T4 on friday, so very excitedly did my taxes on www.ufile.ca last night. It says I'm gonna get a very nice return, BUT... I want to figure it out to see how much of that is because of my student loans.

I went to Mexico and have no regrets. I also returned for my first fill. I am so fed up with the system in BC that I don't want much to do with it at the moment. I have a problem with Dr.'s playing God...before you all get mad, that is just my opinion based on what I have read about surgeons in BC. I may be wrong, but I just feel like a person who has struggled for years knows when he/she is ready for surgery or a fill. We have to take some responsibility for our health, and under the current system, that can be difficult.

I believe I would have spent thousands over the next 10 years in medication, loss of income, food ,clothes etc...so I don't mind jumping on a plane and going down there. My initial cost was $8500 US plus travel exp.

I was really happy with my Dr. Let me know if you have any questions. Best Wishes!

Victoria

(loriely: I just have receipts, that's it. I claimed something like $17500 in medical expenses, which included surgery, Optifast, and 2 trips for fills. I just checked "My Account" online, and my return has been assessed, and it said that my refund would be exactly how much ufile.ca told me it would be... now for it to appear in my bank account so I can order my computer! I've saved everything, JUST in case I get hassled by the government. Cross your fingers!)

All you need for the tax man is the receipt for the surgery and it should state what the surgery is. Keep that receipt or send in a copy I know some people who were asked by Rev Canada to produce it later.

Good luck

Hi: I am from North Vanc. and I agree the MHA belong in the caveman days. They believe all we have to do is exercise more and eat less. They will fund anorexia but do not belive the overweight person mind issues as well. Even when confronted with statistics on people gain the weight back and more after dieting their way. In spite of all the struggles, I would have the band put on again in a minute. Where you decide to go as long as you are confident in your doctor is all that matters. For what it is worth, I prefer a doctor in Canada and I can't praise the two at the TLBC highly enough. Doddie