Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

losing weight before surgery

I'm getting the bypass I'm in my 3 month before the surgery I haven't loss to much weight is that normal?

I'm also in 3rd month of the supervised diet. I've only lost 1 pound. My doctor requires you to lose 10lbs before surgery. I figure I'll lose that much on the pre op liquid diet

My Dr. is suggesting the dietician do 2 week liquid diet first, then again 2 weeks before surgery. I'm not sure if it's because I have so much to loose, or just what.

The doctor told me just to stay away from bread, Pasta, sugar and sodas I am really trying but is hard when you don't have support from your love ones

My 4th month weight in, I had only lost 4 pounds total. Everyone's different!

I know someone who has gained 15lbs and the doctor still set up her surgery date.

Shows no motivation or will power, but that's the surgeons decision.

ok so I am in a different boat....

I have lost 30lbs in 2 months pre-op.... AND my blood sugars are improved as well.

Because I have lost weight, my family has now basically done a 180 and is NOT supporting my surgery.

To me though, it's an illusion.... I have lost weight plenty of times before and it's always been temporary. It's hard though because I dont want to be one of those people who backs out of it, then a year later goes through with it and the biggest regret is not doing it the first time! My date is 4/17

I have lost 30lbs in 2 months pre-op.... AND my blood sugars are improved as well.

Because I have lost weight' date=' my family has now basically done a 180 and is NOT supporting my surgery.

To me though, it's an illusion.... I have lost weight plenty of times before and it's always been temporary. It's hard though because I dont want to be one of those people who backs out of it, then a year later goes through with it and the biggest regret is not doing it the first time! My date is 4/17[/quote']

Listen to your gut instinct... It's usually right. It's sometimes difficult for family or friends to understand our struggles. Just remember that you are doing this for you. They are life changes.

Good luck darlin!

I had to lose 30 pounds in 8 weeks so by my 3rd Nutrition appt I would have met my requirement for my insurance. I lost 47 pounds. I had certain friends say oh look u Can do it by yourself without surgery. Well I still have 120 pounds to lose I am doing the surgery without any hesitations. Only I can make that decision for Me.

I had to lose 30 pounds in 8 weeks so by my 3rd Nutrition appt I would have met my requirement for my insurance. I lost 47 pounds. I had certain friends say oh look u Can do it by yourself without surgery. Well I still have 120 pounds to lose I am doing the surgery without any hesitations. Only I can make that decision for Me.

soooo similar to me!!! There's a lot of focus on the weight....for me there's the daibetis too and sleep problems. I'm sleeping better now for 3 reasons; I have the cranky carbs out of me, I am on a new medicine that helps, and because of the medicine I have less physical pain in my disabled limb.

In terms of weight though, I have another 80 lbs to go to be where I want to be (60 to reach my first goal).

My Dr doesn't use the same liquid liver-reduction diet that other doctors seem to use. The diet he does use is similar to the diet I have been following for 8 weeks now. I do not anticipate that I will drop a lot of weight on the 2 wk Pre op diet. I start my 2 wk pre op diet on tuesday.... and it's not going to be any huge deal to me to be honest.

Because I have lost weight' date=' my family has now basically done a 180 and is NOT supporting my surgery.

To me though, it's an illusion.... I have lost weight plenty of times before and it's always been temporary. It's hard though because I dont want to be one of those people who backs out of it, then a year later goes through with it and the biggest regret is not doing it the first time! My date is 4/17[/quote']

I have to list a tin of weight before then I gain the pounds I lost and more same with my mom.. I need to go through with this for my son and my mom... I want to be healthy and look amazing a little afraid of having sagy skin... But I know if I work hard

Maybe wont have as much!! But I have family support but ultimately it is your decision..

The doctor told me just to stay away from bread' date=' Pasta, sugar and sodas I am really trying but is hard when you don't have support from your love ones[/quote']

Hey, it is tough! But remember, you made this decision for you and you will be the one to benefit from it in the end. Hold tight to your decision, I understand. Stay on here and keep in touch to be encouraged by others who are going through the same thing as you.

I don't think it matters what you lose in the pre-qualification process. They do the waiting game to weed folks out that aren't committed. I didn't lose squat and I'm getting approved!