Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Describe your 1-day post-op PAIN please

Uggh! Lovenox is the worst! I had that when I was in the hospital once, and it was even worse when I had to give it to myself when I got home!

Thank you guys for the info! I haven't asked my dr about pain meds yet, that'll be on my list for next time! I've been in the hospital so many times I don't wanna count and had a bunch of surgeries so I'm hoping this won't be worse than any of those, the worst being ovary removal where they cut open my abdomen muscle.

Give them in fatty part of your thighs they don't bruise there and don't hurt as bad and DO NOT rub them makes it hurt and your not spost to

Ok. I HAVE to jump in here. First of all, I am retired, but I am a Registered Nurse. Secondly, I have been on Lovenox injections nightly for 17 years. Yes, that's right, seventeen years. I have Never taken it anywhere but my lower abdomen, and if you give it correctly it really is not painful. Also I should add that you should NEVER inject this anywhere other than the lower abdomen at least 1 inch away from your belly button.

I had always given them in my stomach until I had my surgery my dr wouldn't allow the shots in the stomach after my surgery that's why they gave in thighs in my stomach it always looked like a punching bag black and blue from the shots they don't hurt just sting a little but when I got them in my thighs they didn't bruise

Day one, I had more discomfort than pain. I can't even remember having any pain and I'm almost 3weeks out I stopped taking pain meds after day one cause I didn't need it. And wanted to get my body off anything I didn't need.

So guess I may have been the lucky one. Discomfort from Gas sucked.

I had always given them in my stomach until I had my surgery my dr wouldn't allow the shots in the stomach after my surgery that's why they gave in thighs in my stomach it always looked like a punching bag black and blue from the shots they don't hurt just sting a little but when I got them in my thighs they didn't bruise

That's a wee bit frightening. My surgery was open. I was cut from between my boobs to my belly button, and since then I have had that incision opened up twice. The injection was given by another nurse in the same area. If you google Lovenox, it will tell you to give it in your lower abdomen and nowhere else.

The night of my surgery was rough, but once I got the pain controlled, I would say it was achy, but less than I had imagined it being. My c section was worse. I had no gas pain with my RNY like I was expecting either (had it with the c section, it was excruciating then.) I had a few brief bouts of nausea, but never vomited (until I was on more solid foods and ate too fast.)

I stopped pain meds after about a week, but there might have been an achy day or two when I did take them. Once or twice I forgot and did something that caused pain and got a prompt reminder I just had surgery.

Don't remember too much about day of surgery except falling in and out of sleep. Second day was the worst with stomach pain but I walked lots. Haven't taken any pain medicine since coming home Wednesday. Each day is a little easier. Yesterday walked a mile--slowly but still a mile.

I had surgery on Monday and don't remember any of Monday except bits and pieces till about 8 that night. That's when I was finally able to stay awake longer then a minute. I slowly made my way up and walked the halls. Tuesday they took my pain pump away and had one dose of Vicodin all day. My only pains where gas pains. I walked a lot that day. I was released on Wednesday morning took another dose before I left. Where I had the drain tube was where I had 99% of my pain. That thing was out Wednesday morning. When I was home I took Vicodin before bed every night till the following Tuesday when I had my staples taken out and I haven't touched a pain pill since.

I felt like I was hit by a bus o_O then again I had never had major surgery before so nothing to compare it to. I was sent home with liquid hydrocone. Id do it again in a heart beat though :-)

Ok. I HAVE to jump in here. First of all, I am retired, but I am a Registered Nurse. Secondly, I have been on Lovenox injections nightly for 17 years. Yes, that's right, seventeen years. ....

I have never even heard of this med! WTH? What is it and what's it for?

I have never even heard of this med! WTH? What is it and what's it for?

It's a blood thinner...used in RNY patients to prevent blood clots.

well

It's a blood thinner...used in RNY patients to prevent blood clots.

Well so much for me being a washed up EMT!!

*crawling back in my cave now*

:ph34r: :unsure:

well

Well so much for me being a washed up EMT!!

*crawling back in my cave now*

:ph34r: :unsure:

Lol, it's like heparin but easier to do....you don't get over thinned out like you can with heparin. Been around for I dunno 6-8 years??? Probably longer and i just don't want to admit how old I am.

Well I gave it to my father and he's been gone 22 years I asked the nurse because I argued with her about giving in my thigh she told me the dr didn't allow patients to get them in the stomach after surgery and because of the bruising so I called my nurse at my cardiac dr she handles all Coumadin patients and she said it was ok to give them in the thigh but normally it's given around the belly but in case of stomach surgery they will give in thighs So I asked my cardiac dr and he told me that was fine to give them in outer part of your thighs cause of bruising. I have to do these anytime I have surgery and my stomach stays bruised for months and knotty