Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In so much pain. Think i made a mistake

I had RNY surgery on March 26th. I remember the surgeon trying to talk to me in the recovery room. My first question was when am I going to have surgery. They told me that I had already had surgery and it went well. A few minutes later I was fully awake and there was no doubt in mind that I had just had major surgery. For a second, I questioned if I had done the right thing. I was given a morphine PCA pump. It helped, but I kept forgetting to push the button. The next morning they switched my pain med to Lortab elixir that actually worked better for me. I still can't believe that I was up walking day 1 of surgery. I know that it has been a big help to me. Most of my pain has been in my lower right quadrant. I found out that this is where all the tools (e.g. The stapler) had to go through the incision. The area where my JP drain was is still very tender. I am still having pale pink drainage. Each day the pain gets a little better. I am still having trouble getting in all my protein/ Fluid. I have been drinking Isopure. I am noticing that I need to take smaller sips and be steady with it. At this point, I have no hunger and no real desire to drink, but I am pushing myself. I feel like a big baby. I enjoy reading all the stories. I at least feel there are others going through the same things. Thanks for reading my entirely too long post:)

I had RNY surgery on March 26th. I remember the surgeon trying to talk to me in the recovery room. My first question was when am I going to have surgery. They told me that I had already had surgery and it went well. A few minutes later I was fully awake and there was no doubt in mind that I had just had major surgery. For a second' date=' I questioned if I had done the right thing. I was given a morphine PCA pump. It helped, but I kept forgetting to push the button. The next morning they switched my pain med to Lortab elixir that actually worked better for me. I still can't believe that I was up walking day 1 of surgery. I know that it has been a big help to me. Most of my pain has been in my lower right quadrant. I found out that this is where all the tools (e.g. The stapler) had to go through the incision. The area where my JP drain was is still very tender. I am still having pale pink drainage. Each day the pain gets a little better. I am still having trouble getting in all my protein/ Fluid. I have been drinking Isopure. I am noticing that I need to take smaller sips and be steady with it. At this point, I have no hunger and no real desire to drink, but I am pushing myself. I feel like a big baby. I enjoy reading all the stories. I at least feel there are others going through the same things. Thanks for reading my entirely too long post:)

[/quote']

I push myself too. I put meals on a timer so when I feel full after two bites and stop, when the ten min timer goes off, I can remember to take another bite. I set 20 min interval timer for drinking too or I'd forget for hours.

HW 341 GW 150 CW 289.6 RNY 03/25/13

I push myself too. I put meals on a timer so when I feel full after two bites and stop' date=' when the ten min timer goes off, I can remember to take another bite. I set 20 min interval timer for drinking too or I'd forget for hours.

HW 341 GW 150 CW 289.6 RNY 03/25/13[/quote']

I like the timer idea. I have heard of a few others that have had great success with a timer. I guess I going to have to get one. Thanks!

So sorry you were struggling with the pain. There is a light at the end of the tunnel :-D I had never had major surgery before my RNY. First thing out my mouth when I was waking up with my parents over me was pain. And for me it took a little longer before it got better due to a slight infection that I got in my largest incesion. But I have a great doctor that took care of it and made sure I had enough pain meds to be comfterble. Even in all my pain I refused to regret surgery .... I needed it to save my life. :-)

So sorry you were struggling with the pain. There is a light at the end of the tunnel :-D I had never had major surgery before my RNY. First thing out my mouth when I was waking up with my parents over me was pain. And for me it took a little longer before it got better due to a slight infection that I got in my largest incesion. But I have a great doctor that took care of it and made sure I had enough pain meds to be comfterble. Even in all my pain I refused to regret surgery .... I needed it to save my life. :-)

Hi Shyanne,

I believe my pain is leveling off. You said something that really struck home. You mentioned why you needed RNY. For a second, I had forgotten how my diabetes was out of control. I have an insulin pump. I am on a very low dose now and my MD said I will eventually come off of all my diabetes medications. Thanks for sharing and giving me a wake up call:)

I can't take it. It's horrible.

If it doesn't get better everyday, go to the ER! The pain had me in tears and bent over trying to walk. This is NOT normal. After day four of extenuating pain I decided to go to the ER and was admitted. My Bp had raised to 190/100 (from the pain) which is a problem all by itself. My heart rate was really high (which the doctors were concerned with). Come to find out my intestines were swollen and my tummy was filled with soooo much gas. After seeing this thru the X-rays, the doctors understood why the pain was so bad. The hospital kept me for 3 more days. Soooo I say this to say if u feel terrible for too many days GO to the hospital. I hope u feel better soon. You are not alone ;0)

I had RNY surgery on March 26th. I remember the surgeon trying to talk to me in the recovery room. My first question was when am I going to have surgery. They told me that I had already had surgery and it went well. A few minutes later I was fully awake and there was no doubt in mind that I had just had major surgery. For a second' date=' I questioned if I had done the right thing. I was given a morphine PCA pump. It helped, but I kept forgetting to push the button. The next morning they switched my pain med to Lortab elixir that actually worked better for me. I still can't believe that I was up walking day 1 of surgery. I know that it has been a big help to me. Most of my pain has been in my lower right quadrant. I found out that this is where all the tools (e.g. The stapler) had to go through the incision. The area where my JP drain was is still very tender. I am still having pale pink drainage. Each day the pain gets a little better. I am still having trouble getting in all my protein/ Fluid. I have been drinking Isopure. I am noticing that I need to take smaller sips and be steady with it. At this point, I have no hunger and no real desire to drink, but I am pushing myself. I feel like a big baby. I enjoy reading all the stories. I at least feel there are others going through the same things. Thanks for reading my entirely too long post:)

[/quote']

It does make u feel like a big baby doesnt it? Lol that's how I feel. I love that we all can't relate.

I too feel like I am filled up with gas. My pain is going back and forth. I believe it is actually getting better, but I have had real bad pain at intervals without any rhyme or reason. It is very good to know I am not alone. Thanks

I too feel like I am filled up with gas. My pain is going back and forth. I believe it is actually getting better' date=' but I have had real bad pain at intervals without any rhyme or reason. It is very good to know I am not alone. Thanks[/quote']

Did they say what you can take for gas ? Gas X ?? Hope you feel better!!

Gas X strips work fast. I believe Simethicone is also the active ingredient in Gas X.