Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss/Wigs

I wouldn't order one, I suggest you go to your local wig shop, we have several in our city, we call them the "hair store":heh: Because in person you can try them on, there are alot of different colors and styles. Have fun, I just went to the hair store last nite to buy a hair quick weave wig. I still have a full head of hair, haven't lost any yet, but I just like wearing the wig:phanvan

Okay, Ive lost my hair so bad now Im considering a wig.

Why have you lost your hair? Have you talked to a doctor about it? Your condition may be treatable. I've had a great deal of success with Rogaine, so you may want to consider that before going the wig route.

Merle Norman (the make-up people) have lovely wigs and the consultant will work with you for sizing, etc. They do lots of cancer patients.

Taylordiva........

I don't know about this poster - she may have some health problems of some sort that affected her hair, but ....the reason people usually lose their hair to some extent after weight loss surgery is because they do not take quality Vitamins every day and they do not get adequate Protein in their diet. A wls patient needs 80-100 gr/protein every day the rest of their life. It's not easy to get that much with a tiny little pouch so we need Protein supplements....again, quality ones made for bariatric patients, not the kind made for jocks. These two things....vitamins and protein....prevent many problems that will otherwise plague a wls patient.

Okay, Ive lost my hair so bad now Im considering a wig. Anyone know a good place to buy or order one. I dont want to look like a freak?

Have you been taking any Vitamins or supplements? This one thing I worried about because my hair is thin on the top anyway, I cant afford to lose any. Were you getting in your Protein?? Please let us know.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I have lost almost half of my hair and Im looking really thin. I am taking Biotin, Folic Acid, Multi Vitamin, Nioxin Shampoo & Condictioner and Rogain. None of the stuff works. I think its from the shock of surgery. From what I have read it should be coming back in in another month or so. Im still really glad I had the surgery.

If I had it to to over with my hair already being thin I would have started the Rogain a month or so before my surgery to help the thinning.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I have lost almost half of my hair and Im looking really thin. I am taking Biotin, Folic Acid, Multi Vitamin, Nioxin Shampoo & Condictioner and Rogain. None of the stuff works. I think its from the shock of surgery. From what I have read it should be coming back in in another month or so. Im still really glad I had the surgery.

If I had it to to over with my hair already being thin I would have started the Rogain a month or so before my surgery to help the thinning.

How long have you been using the Rogaine? It will take at least 3 months to see the results. Are you applying it to your entire scalp? You need complete coverage for the best results.

I dont know, its a frustrating problem. I've had more breakage and loss of condition than shedding, but I"m really active and I still eat up to 2000 calories a day WITH a band plus I take supplements, so I'm pretty sure Im not terribly deficient in anything. And yet it still happens.

I dont think anyone really knows why.

My hair got really thin too and I found these awesome extensions on Ebay. You can get them in natural or synthetic and they just clip in with a tiny clip. I don't go anywhere without them these days.

I am attaching a link from the lady I bought them from. I actually told her about my band situation and she is thining about it herself (she is 100 pounds overweight, she said). Just copy and paste the link and then you can go to her other items for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hair-U-Wear-Extensions-10-Piece-Wavy-Set-BROWNS_W0QQitemZ140081799501QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1277QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Oh, also...it's about $12.50 a bottle at my salon, but if you have one of those salons in your local Wal-Mart, they sell bottles in economy size, so you get a better deal.

Why have you lost your hair? Have you talked to a doctor about it? Your condition may be treatable. I've had a great deal of success with Rogaine, so you may want to consider that before going the wig route.

Not banded yet but just preparing my self since I am thin on the top now...OK does rogaine have an odor and does it make your hair oily or anything? Thanks

OK does rogaine have an odor and does it make your hair oily or anything? Thanks

No odor, no oil. It comes in small containers and you're supposed to apply something like 1-2 milliliters to your entire scalp, which is impossible unless you're bald. So I take the small container and pour the Rogaine into a 12 oz. spray bottle and add distilled Water to it to fill the bottle. Then I spray the Rogaine on my part. I repeatedly part my hair in different places all over my scalp and continue to spray the Rogaine on until I've covered my entire scalp. In the morning, I spray it on right after my shower while my hair is still wet. I let it soak into my scalp while I'm putting on my make-up and then I use the blow dryer. At night, I do the same treatment right before bed. My hair is now as thick as it was when I was a teenager.

I was told by my chinese herbalist to use a Shampoo that has garlic and aloe vera. I have been using it and notice that harly no hair falls out now as it always did when I washed my hair. It leaves no odor either.