Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery date!

I have my surgery scheduled for April 15th. I'm excited & scared. This has really happened so quickly it feels like a whirlwind! My first seminar was in February and I'm only 3 weeks out to my surgery. I sure didn't expect things to go from start to finish in 2 months. I'm not complaining AT ALL just nervous. Any advice on getting ready for surgery? How about recovery? Thanks all!

FLmomof2: Congratulations on your surgery date. I read something on another forum here that I wish I had paid more attention to.

Make sure you have everything in the house that you are going to need to have post surgery and know what those foods/liquids are. From what I have seen on the forums here, all surgeons seems to do things differently, but it seems likely that you will be on liquids for some period of time, then pureed foods and then back to solids. If your doctor provided you with information on what to expect post-surgery make sure you have read it and understand what it will mean for you. I ended up dehydrating myself after surgery so make sure you have plenty of Water or other permitted liquids that you like to drink.

Now, as a mom of 2, make sure you have a good support system in place because I would imagine that for the first couple of days after you get home, you will need some support. I am not saying this to frighten you. Because you should not be frightened. As I said in another forum today, the doctors put you through the tests prior to surgery to insure that you are going to be fine. But surgery is surgery and you will be sort for a bit. Support will be a real help to you.

I also remember someone saying that they got the house all cleaned up and did all of the heavy work that they could prior to surgery and I think this is a good idea. It will be good for you to be able to take some time to pamper yourself after surgery and think about all of the good things that are coming in your future.

I wish you the best.

Cheryl

I'm stocking up on all the Vitamins and Protein I'll need for a few months. My local Bariatric Supply store has unflavored whey Protein that I can mix into Soups and yogurt. I'm going to buy a small bottle of that and maybe a vanilla one to mix into pudding and yogurt. Be careful not to buy too much of any one food. I was told that tastes change after your surgery and what you like now you may not like then. Get a variety of things in smaller amounts to try to see what is best for you. Try an Herbal tea variety pack to see what you like. I bought small comtainers to measure out small portions of food that I can grab quickly. They say small plates and utensils are helpful for eating slowly when you are on solids. sugar-free popsicles have flavor and can help keep you hydrated. I am going to buy a Nutribullit to make shakes and puree foods (if it does that). Have loose comfortable clothing, as your abdomin will be tender for a little while.

The tips above are all things I read about and am doing myself but of course I am NOT the voice of expreience. You started the same time I did and you already have your date! I am envious! Good luck to you!

I'm in the same boat as you are, my surgery date is April 12th. It still seems so far away but yet right around the corner!! Good luck to you!!!