Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The inside scoop...

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone is doing well - and not under a mountain of snow right now...

Since I got banded on the 1st I have spent a lot of time pouring over the posts on this board collecting info. It's funny how I spent lots of time researching before the surgery, but now that I am actually on the other side of it, I feel like I need to start the learning process all over again. I'm not sure that that even makes sense... But, my point is that I feel like there are so many uncertainties right now... You know, is this pain normal? Should I have hiccups if I am "eating" properly? Why can I feel my port like a golf ball, etc. So, I thought I would ask a few questions of those of you who seem to be PROS at this. I'm sure that they have been answered somewhere else on here, so I apologize in advance.

1) I know we are supposed to be working really hard to get all of our fluids in. I have been trying, but with the constant reminder that I need to take baby-sips I can't seem to make it happen. Are baby-sips necessary even if larger sips don't hurt?

2) I'm not really feeling hunger, so I don't really know what full feels like. It is almost like I have detached from my body... While on the full Fluid phases, should I limit myself to a 1/4 cup of Soup? I can tolerate probably a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup and am not sure if that is a good thing. I have no idea how else to get calories into me - right now I am at about 300 calories a day. Normal?

3) I start purees soon and am unclear on if that is the same thing as "mushies"... Are there any TLBC patients out there that can clarify what their pureed phase consisted of?

4) Finally, did anyone else feel kind of down after the surgery? I feel totally bummed out and can't really get it together. I know that being in pain doesn't help, but I feel like I have no energy and am quite gloomy right now. I can't bring myself to leave the house!

I know these are pretty random questions, but if anyone has any insight they can offer, I would be VERY grateful. I have already learned what a resource this forum is, and I can't imagine having done this WLS without learning from everyone here. Thanks.

1) I know we are supposed to be working really hard to get all of our fluids in. I have been trying, but with the constant reminder that I need to take baby-sips I can't seem to make it happen. Are baby-sips necessary even if larger sips don't hurt?

As you heal you can likely take more than a baby sip---you are just allowing your stomach time to heal---and attempting to keep it completely empty if possible.. As you probably already know from prior research, when they banded you, they pulled the lower section of stomach up and stitched it to the top to hold the band in place. Now they do not want weight, or the act of digesting (which makes yoru stomach go into a kneading like movement) causing undue stress on the stitches. As the days progress you should be able to begin drinking in a more "normal" fashion without issue.

2) I'm not really feeling hunger, so I don't really know what full feels like. It is almost like I have detached from my body... While on the full Fluid phases, should I limit myself to a 1/4 cup of Soup? I can tolerate probably a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup and am not sure if that is a good thing. I have no idea how else to get calories into me - right now I am at about 300 calories a day. Normal?

It is hard in the beginning to get proper nutrition in, and get all the fluids in as well. I was allowed more than 1/4 cup---in fact I know they brought me more than that while I was in the hospital--so I am sure if you increase it, as hunger presents itself it will gradually increase the caloric intake too.

3) I start purees soon and am unclear on if that is the same thing as "mushies"... Are there any TLBC patients out there that can clarify what their pureed phase consisted of?

I went from Clear liquids to what they called full liquids, which included cream Soups, and Protein shakes, Jello....still liquids, but heavier liquids, still no chewing involved. Then I moved on to mushies, which included cottage cheese, yogurt that kind of thing. Sorry I am not a TLBC patient, so cannot elaborate on that particular diet plan... hope you get someone who was that can better help you!

4) Finally, did anyone else feel kind of down after the surgery? I feel totally bummed out and can't really get it together. I know that being in pain doesn't help, but I feel like I have no energy and am quite gloomy right now. I can't bring myself to leave the house!

Depression is quite common. The surgery is somewhat anticlimactic in itself. You prepare, and wait and get all excited, then wham it is over....and nothing! No huge changes yet, it just seems sort of a let down. Plus mourning food is VERY, VERY common! food was a constant and reliable friend and companion to us all, and suddenly we have to treat it differently---it is a hard head game. BUT--we all did it, and survived it!! Anger is not unusual either! Another possibility is that you need to UP your calories, and UP your Protein. I used a clear liquid called Zero Carb Isopure, I bought it at GNC, it comes in several flavors (they were not terrible, but not something I would have chose to drink in every day life either). They have 40g. of protein in every bottle. Healing depends on protein. I would definitely try to get more in! I would drink 1/2 the bottle in the morning and the other 1/2 in the afternoon, it made a huge difference in how I felt! To this day if I get sluggish, I increase my protein. I also use unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder (www.unjury.com) I added it to broth etc. It should help to get more nutrition in. You are literally depressing your body---it needs fed. 300 calories is not enough. Now is time to heal, not just to lose weight. If in order to heal you need more, then get it, and worry about weight loss after you heal. Even getting more, I imagine you will begin dropping weight, I mean even ifyou eat 3/4 of cup of soup, and 2 bottles of high protein juice---compare that to what we used to eat!!!

I hope you begin to feel better soon. Once your moodiness passes, and your energy returns---you will find new motivation---I am willing to guarantee it!!!

Hang in there---if I can do this ANYONE can!!!

Kat

ps----it is snowing outside now-----

Post op blues are really common after any major surgery, I think Kat's thoughts sound pretty good but as I have seen it in lots of different post op patients ( different surgery types) I think part of it is just a reaction to the surgery, the anesthetc etc.

I think the bodies fight and flight hormones paly a part- In the face of major injury/physical stress, you adrenals secrete hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline as way to help your body cope with the insult of the injury/surgery- when those levels drop again you can feel washed out, flat and lethargic etc.

Hi Kat,

Thanks so much for your feedback. It is really nice knowing that there are people with answers!

I think my main problem (with the Water, with the calorie intake, etc) is that I am so used to diets which are completely rigid and prescribed that not having clear guidelines about the quantity I should be eating, coupled with fears of messing up the band, has clearly made me a lunatic! I know that this phase is for healing, not dieting, but I can't seem to up my caloric intake much. Small doses of Soups and broths, Protein shakes and popsicles don't seem to add up to much! I guess I have to work harder...

I have tried the chocolate unjury Protein Powder, and its pretty good, but getting the unflavoured one sounds like a good idea. I could then just add it to whatever I am eating... Thanks for the tip!

Finally, I am glad to hear that I am not the first person you have heard of with the post-banding blues. You're right about it being anti-climactic... I guess on some level I thought that I would wake up after the surgery and feel like I was on my way to a smaller, happier self, and clearly I failed to consider the down time that I will have to endure before that starts! I also have a theory that it is impossible to be cheerful during the month of February in Canada... But, who knows.

Thanks a lot for your advice. It's just what I needed!