Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am a 27 year old from Salt Lake City, Utah. I am married and have a 2 year old little girl. I have struggled with Obesity most of my life. I yo-yo’d my weight with different diets and “Lifestyle changes” for the past 15 years, and I have now decided to take the surgical path. I have quite the family history of Obesity including my Parents, Grandparents and most of my Aunts and Uncles. To date, I have 7 family members (Father, 3 Uncles, and 2 Aunts) that have had gastric bypass, and I have seen great results in every single one of them. I never really looked at surgery as an option until I was much older.

This all changed about 5 months ago, when my mother became very ill. This was a turning point for me, she lives in California, so I only see her in person a few times a year. The past two trips she had scheduled to come to Utah she cancelled last minute for health problems related to weight. Luckily modern technology has given us Skype and unlimited long distance on our phone plans so I can still let her see my daughter, but I see how much it hurts her to not be able to see and hold my daughter and let life pass her by. She has toyed with having surgery, but has never taken the plunge. Long-story short, I do not want to get to that point. I do not want to wait until my health is so poor that I give up the next 20 years not having surgery. I have faith that I can do it on my own, but family history, and personal history of the past 15 years says otherwise. I attended the surgery orientation in January and today I meet with a surgeon for a consultation. I tried to work through insurance to help, but they do not cover this surgery, so I will be paying cash. I was approved for a loan last week, so now it is just a waiting game for surgery.

I am excited for this journey, and excited to have a healthy life and be a Father and Husband that is remembered as healthy.

Right now I am 5’11, 340 lbs

Welcome to the forums! I am 37 and I am having my rny next Tuesday, the 26th of March. I am nervous and excited to start my new journey. The people on here are so helpful and they are so supportive. I hope your journey is quick and smooth.

Welcome and good luck on your journey. I have never once regretted this surgery, if I knew my insurance paid 100% I would have done this years ago.

Hi' date=' I am a 27 year old from Salt Lake City, Utah. I am married and have a 2 year old little girl. I have struggled with Obesity most of my life. I yo-yo’d my weight with different diets and “Lifestyle changes” for the past 15 years, and I have now decided to take the surgical path. I have quite the family history of Obesity including my Parents, Grandparents and most of my Aunts and Uncles. To date, I have 7 family members (Father, 3 Uncles, and 2 Aunts) that have had gastric bypass, and I have seen great results in every single one of them. I never really looked at surgery as an option until I was much older.

This all changed about 5 months ago, when my mother became very ill. This was a turning point for me, she lives in California, so I only see her in person a few times a year. The past two trips she had scheduled to come to Utah she cancelled last minute for health problems related to weight. Luckily modern technology has given us Skype and unlimited long distance on our phone plans so I can still let her see my daughter, but I see how much it hurts her to not be able to see and hold my daughter and let life pass her by. She has toyed with having surgery, but has never taken the plunge. Long-story short, I do not want to get to that point. I do not want to wait until my health is so poor that I give up the next 20 years not having surgery. I have faith that I can do it on my own, but family history, and personal history of the past 15 years says otherwise. I attended the surgery orientation in January and today I meet with a surgeon for a consultation. I tried to work through insurance to help, but they do not cover this surgery, so I will be paying cash. I was approved for a loan last week, so now it is just a waiting game for surgery.

I am excited for this journey, and excited to have a healthy life and be a Father and Husband that is remembered as healthy.

Right now I am 5’11, 340 lbs[/quote']

I'm also from Salt Lake. Well, more like West Valley. But it's about the same thing. I'm 27, 5'5 275. In waiting to get my surgery date. I'm getting it done with Rocky Mountain. Where are you getting yours done?

Welcome and good for you for taking this positive step! Be well!

My surgery date is July 11. Just 40 more days. I am doing it through Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians as well. I would do it sooner, but needed to do it mid summer to get off work.

Doesn't it feel good to be taking control of your life??? So empowering :). You'll do great, then you'll screw up a little, then you'll do great some

More. It's so totally worth it!

Awesome to see you on here! I am just a little north of you in Pocatello, Idaho. My parents actually live in SLC :) it's nice knowing there at people closer than I realize. I had my surgery April 22 and then had a bowel obstruction surgery May 15. I'm 5'3 and my highest weight was in January at 272. On surgery day I was at 253 and as of today I am at 230. It's been tough at times but I'm loving feeling lighter and lighter!! I wish you all the very best!!