Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone..

Hello, I'm new to the site and thought I would introduce myself and ask some questions that I haven't had answered yet with all my "research".

My name is Alli, I'm 32, married to the greatest man in the world, I live in the panhandle of Florida, I'm from Alaska. I have four children, four dogs, two cats, a bird, a hamster, and a tank full of fish. I enjoy reading, cooking, playing with my youngest two kids and just hanging out with the older two kids, (my/our animals), traveling, a lil online gaming occationally, and exploring our new home.

I haven't been banded yet. I have been overweight for 7 years. I have a hiatal (sp?) hernia, due to my weight, it's stuck open, and I have had the worlds worst heartburn since being pregnant with my third child. -Abnormaly bad, not maternity bad... In October I had had enough of the burning with no relief. I went to my PCM and spoke to him about it. He refered me to a gastroenterologist (my spelling sucks- this is typed in a hurry before we go to the bus stop). Dr. Rasor shoved a scope down my throat to look around and see what might be causeing the problem. He found the hernia. He sent me to the general surgeon.. The surgeon kinda scared me. It was his opinion that my hernia was caused by the weight (which I already knew) and that I can have it fixed one of two ways. 1) I could have a surgery that would pull the stomache down and tighten the muscle that holds the stomache from loosing its contents just by bending over. Or 2) I was obvioulsy a canidate for gastric bypass which would cure both my issues. (being over-weight and the heartburn issue) I am maxed out on my meds for heartburn, so I was obvioulsy going to have to find a solution soon. I am not interested in a gastric bypass, just don't think going in hacking up my guts and rearranging them is good. (I don't like things that can't be "fixed" back if need be.) I was kind of interested when he said I was a canidate for gastric bypass as that meant that I should also be a canidate for the Lap-band which I was interested in. I inquired about the band and was told he didn't do that surgery but would be happy to put in a refferal to a doc in Pensacola who did. But that probably wouldn't fix my heartburn problem. Basicly I felt this surgeon just wanted to get to cuttin on me, he wasn't worried about what I wanted.

So while I wait for my refferal to go thru I have been on the internet searching for every site that talks about the lap-band and the befores/afters/surgery/everything. Last night I found this forum and was thrilled because I have finally found something that will answer my peticular questions.

I am currently 5' 8", 243 lbs, and have been diagnosed with syndrome x. I have severe Migraines, obviously the heartburn/hernia, exaustion, joint pain, and thru researching the net and other doctors sites, I have found a few other symptoms that I think are deffinatly related to the weight. Urinary stress incontinence, and Dysmenorrhea. I am actually waiting for the gyn docs schedule to open up so I can have a hysterectomy because of this.

My Grandmother struggled with her weight for as long as I can remember, and my mother has put on a lot of weight since I was a kid and know she is deffinatly eligible for this surgery as well. She is 5'3" and has to weigh at least as much as me, if not more.

I am very excited to start this new chapter of my life. I have been thinking about this surgery for at least two years. I don't think anything I have read is so hard that I can't make these few simple changes to accomidate a healthier lifestyle. I do however have some questions that I haven't seen answered in relation to the lap-band, only in the gastric bypass surgery.

• Can you still have an occational piece of chocolate?
  • Can you still have a glass of wine or a margarita?
  • Is dumping syndrome a problem with this surgery?
  • What is the average time it takes to get to your goal weight? -I have seen that about 6 months out most people seem to be really close to the half-way mark.
  • How close to your goal weight does your actual weight settle at? -I mean I would LOVE to be 145 again, but I just don't think that is realistic.. I figure 155-165 is probably where I will end up.
  • Is excess skin an issue with the lap-band as it is with the gastric bypass? Is there anything I can do to make this surgery happen a little faster? (Get any other needed apointments or labs out of the way, etc.) I dont want to wait 2 months... I tend to get discouraged waiting to long.
  • How hard is it for you to cook for your family and incoporate your new "diet" into that?

I am sure there are loads more questions I will come with. but this is a good start. Thank you all in advance.

Can you still have an occational piece of chocolate?

Yes, chocolate goes down fine. You just have to make wise decisions.

• Can you still have a glass of wine or a margarita?

Yes, you can.

• Is dumping syndrome a problem with this surgery?

No, but PB is. Productive Burp. It is just like vomitting. It happens if you eat too fast or too much at once.

• What is the average time it takes to get to your goal weight? -I have seen that about 6 months out most people seem to be really close to the half-way mark.

The doctor stats are 30% weight loss the first year. It seems much higher then that though. 1-2 lbs a week but some lose faster. Up to 2 years to reach goal. Slower than bypass.

• How close to your goal weight does your actual weight settle at? -I mean I would LOVE to be 145 again, but I just don't think that is realistic.. I figure 155-165 is probably where I will end up.

Not sure, its up to your body.

• Is excess skin an issue with the lap-band as it is with the gastric bypass? Is there anything I can do to make this surgery happen a little faster? (Get any other needed apointments or labs out of the way, etc.) I dont want to wait 2 months... I tend to get discouraged waiting to long.

I have heard stories of plastic surgery. It depends on each individuals body. I know I'll need a Tummy Tuck for sure.

• How hard is it for you to cook for your family and incoporate your new "diet" into that?

Easy., You can eat everything, just in smaller portions.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yay just got a call from surgeon #1, he put in the refferal yesterday, should be ready in 72 hours from turn in! Hopefully I will get to see "Dr. Nye" in Pensacola sooner than I thought! :)

Thanks Juliegeraci for answering all my questions! A girls gotta have some occational chocolate and a margarita with the girls right? That makes me feel much better about the whole thing, and I was pretty excited to begin with!

Here's looking forward to a healthier life and my size 10s I have been hanging on to allllll this time. YAY :clap2:

As far as chocolate goes....there are some very good sugar free chcolates on the market, as well as some very good chocolate Protein drinks and bars.

As for hearburn....I never had heartburn in my life til I had a LapBand....at about 5 mo. out I started suffering. I am on Protonix, which helps, but I have to be very careful about taking arthritis meds on an empty stomach, limiting my caffeine, eating dark chocolate, citrus, tomatoe sauces, etc. Then I still have trouble sometimes. When I told my fill doctor I was having heartburn, he just said, "Yeah, that's the Lapband...it's just part of it."

As for eating everything your family eats....that's the theory but I don't know many people who do/can and lose weight. bread is a disaster for bandsters usually. You need to eliminate white carbs, carbonated drinks, fried foods. You'll need to incorporate lots of Protein every day and limit the carbs.

As a lightweight (which you are even tho you may not feel like it) your weight loss may not be as easy as some people's. Wish I had your height!!

Best wishes!

I think my heartburn is simply the hernia that is stuck open. I do notice some foods triggering it more than others. pizza and spaggeti sauce are usually the culprits. Tho I am maxed out on my Aciphex...

Why does bread do you in?

I am worried about the Protein shakes. I have never found one that tastes good. and I have only one kidney and was told recently I needed to keep my Protein intake under 9 grams a day, by a nutritionalist. -which I have never been able to do. Do you know how much protein is in everyday things?? that would and is impossible! And I think part of my grumpiness is lack of protein.. I seem to crave it somedays.

No more carbonated drinks!? No more Friday Pepsi's?

I don't think my family eats that unhealthily. Could we do better? yeah. I don't think it would be to hard to get everyone on a healthier diet as we have the basics down, just need to tighten it up some. But there is very little fried foods in our house.

So you think that because I am not heavier that I will have a harder time loosing this weight? Hmm, I hope not.

Sissy, NINE grams/day of Protein??? If that is accurate, I don't know what to say. The successful losers I know (the ones who lose at a healthy rate, who don't lose their hair, who maintain good muscle mass and strength, who heal well) average 70-80 gr of protein/day. About half of mine comes from supplements. (There are some wonderful ones out there but you have to search for them.)

You can easily track your Protein intake (or intake of anything else like fat, calories, carbohydrates, etc) on fitday.com....it's a free website that keeps you on track day by day. If it goes in my mouth, it goes on my fitday.

. Surgeons do put carbonated drinks on a no-no list. Carbonation is (I hear) very painful because it swells.....scared to try it myself....some people let it go flat then drink a little. Bread....it just wads up on you, won't go thru, seems to swell, very painful.Some people are able to eat dry toast, I hear. pizza crust makes me feel like I've swallowed a pair of scissors.

I hope you are able to do whatever is necessary, sweetie. Sounds like you've got a lot of health problems to deal with. Best wishes to you.

That is what she told me. 9 grams. It's impposible. I can't do it. Although I have been trying to keep it low. But now that I got rid of the rotten kidney I am healthy! I don't have any of the trouble I had before. I specifically asked the doctors who did my surgery and diagnosed the problems if I needed to NOT do anything, not drink, not have more children... (heck its hard enough on your body to do it with all your parts! Take some away and how good is that for you, right?) They both said no! You've lived a long time sick, now you will be fine, enjoy your good health. (course I was 23-24 then) I did go on to have two really easy pregnancies though.

So when I was recently told that I should be limiting my Protein I thought, HUH? I try to keep it down but after awhile I CRAVE a steak... Like give it to me or I might freak out if you don't kinda crave. And after I have one I feel fine. I wonder if this lady was off her rocker, and didn't look into my files enough before saying that. I just don't understand how the doctors are advising all of you to keep your protein levels up to prevent all these health issues but I was told to keep mine at nine?? I would be on a clear liquid diet every day!

I am calling to make an appt with a nutritionalist today! Something is crazy. Thanks for turning on my light bulb!

Sissy....I hope you can find someone who understands bariatric surgery and patients and what our specific needs are. A "nutritionist" is not necessrily a degreed expert....that title doesn't mean anything without some training behind it. A Registered Dietician is a degreed person who should know the science behind nutrition. You might call a dialysis center and ask for a referral .....they know kidneys. Or a bariatric surgeon's office, altho many of them are clueless about the aftercare - may be great at the surgery but not very aware of the nutritional needs afterward.

Let me know what you find out....you're welcome to PM me anytime.

Sissy907 - I too had a hiatal hernia repaird. My hernai caused my stomach to be pushed up into my ribs. I had stage 4 Esophogitus, the beginning stages of Barrets Esophogus (which can lead to cancer). I had misserable heartburn for years.

I have had the lap band now for a month, he repaired my hernia, pulled my stomach back in place, and stretched my esophogus. I woke up from surgery with absolutely 100% no heartburn. I haven't had any since. Not even when I sucked on a piece of my SF chocolate. I love it!

I'm down almost 40 lbs, including my pre-op diet. I haven't even had my first fill yet. The surgery has done wonders for me. I'm so happy I chose Lap-band over RNY.

I am new to this site. I happened to stumble across it while looking for information on the lap band. Each day I check for new information and just a new in site to this whole procedure. I don't know if anyone out there has any bits of info that can help me, but my problem is that I have contacted a surgeon who preforms this but they are telling me that because my BMI is 37 I probably won't qualify. When I look at the comorbids, I have high cholestrol, border line high blood pressure and of course, major depression from 30 years of being over weight. I can gain the extra weight if need be to get to a BMI of 40, but then I worry that if I don't qualify at that weight, how will I ever loose the weight.

If anyone has anything that can help me, I would appreciate it. I am desperate to feel good about myself. Thanks

James2539 If you were in my shoes they would say you qualify. But I am in different shoes to everyone I met here so far...

Thank you SO MUCH Sunshine2. I really needed to hear someone else with similar issues tell me it can work. Now I can keep fighting for my way even tho this doc is certain it isn't for me.

This was originaly posted on the lapband disscusion part of the site but I thought I would update you guys here on what is going on...

I recieved a call today from the doc/surgeon saying that my refferal was returned to him. Apparently I don't have enough wrong with me. (I wrote a post on the introductions page about all my health issues) But to me this is absolutely rediculous. Why won't someone just look at this and say hey, she is gonna be in big trouble if we don't do something to help now... He rewrote the refferal and is sending it back, and told me if that doesn't work that he would send me for a sleep study to see if I had sleep apnea. I don't think I do. My husband does and I don't snore ANYTHING like him!! (he has woken neighbors before!)

He also was very pushy in that he really didn't think the band was for me. He said that it may make my heartburn issues worse or make it not change at all. I feel like he is pushing me to do things his way and not really listening to what I want. I told him the dietary needs/restrictions and the life style changes that were required for that surgery was somethng I really didn't think I would be able to adjust to. Where as with the band, if I desperatly needed to have a bite of chocolate I could, and I wouldn't "pay for it" by puking and crapping my brains out. (And when has anyone with severe "choco-holic syndrome" ever been able to completely give it up? lol) I feel more comfortable with the band in that I can eat the way I need to loose the weight but yet I can have the occational treat when I just can't hold out any longer. I like that this surgery isn't going to do the work for me, I am going to have to EARN it. I, much like a teen, work better if I have to earn something rather than just having someone give it to me.

I don't have comorbidities, I am sort of a healthy fat person. I have at the very least 98 pounds to loose. But as far as this doctor is concerned I am to thin! So how do I get a surgery done, that my insurance will pay for, at a bmi of 36.9? Eat more? Gain more weight? My husband would certainly not go for that idea...

I don't like to give out to much info on the internet, but my problem is we are military. My options are SO limited it's not even funny. I don't get to choose my doctor. I don't get to appeal. Tough luck, to bad, have a nice day... *cries*

*SOBS*

*looks for some ice cream*

Any ideas? Anyone else military that had to deal with this issue? :help:

I am new to this site. I happened to stumble across it while looking for information on the lap band. Each day I check for new information and just a new in site to this whole procedure. I don't know if anyone out there has any bits of info that can help me, but my problem is that I have contacted a surgeon who preforms this but they are telling me that because my BMI is 37 I probably won't qualify. When I look at the comorbids, I have high cholestrol, border line high blood pressure and of course, major depression from 30 years of being over weight. I can gain the extra weight if need be to get to a BMI of 40, but then I worry that if I don't qualify at that weight, how will I ever loose the weight.

If anyone has anything that can help me, I would appreciate it. I am desperate to feel good about myself. Thanks

james2539, it sounds like you are considering going with an insurance company. If you can self pay either thru savings, pay advance, borrowing or taking a loan it is worth it. Tho you have some of the comorbids, it may help if you draw on the high propensity of family health issues. It may make your case clearer. But don't give up trying for the tool you know you need to improve the quality of your life. Good luck on your journey.

CJay, I am going to try to go the insurance route first, if that does not work out for me, then I will self pay. I am worth the money. I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who agrees. But, I most definitely will try the insurance first. As for family history, I guess I didn't think so much about that. My mom died from a heart attack, my dad has major heart disease, my brother high cholestrol and blood pressure. I hope they do take that into consideration now. Thanks for your help.