Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What A Journey this has been.

Well after 3 years of deciding which surgery to have and speaking with my surgeon and dietition numerous times I have decided that the Gastric Bypass is the right way for me to go. This has not been an easy decision for me to make as I am over 55 years old. I have done all my testing and the results have been sent in to my dr. I have had my final meetings with both surgeon and dietition and on Monday March 11th 2013 I will be having my surgery. Needless to say I am very nervous and scared just like so many of you who are about to have this life changing surgery. I have faith in my dr and his team. I have tried so many diets over the years, you name it and I have tired it but I have never had lasting results. Eating has always been an issure for me especialy all thing sweet. Because of this gastric bypass is the right way to go for me. I have been reading some of the forums on this site and see that lots of people are have lots of pain even after 5 days post op but I have to remind myself that this is to be expected since re-routing your digestive system would be painful, I hope I get all the meds I need to get thru the first 2 weeks after surgery. I also read that some people have lots of gas after surgery and that Gas X is a must. Does this clear up over time or is this something I will have to deal with the rest of my life? Anyone of any thoughts about this. My quality of life really sucks right now. It hurts to walk, cannot bend over to tie my shoes, I have no engery to walk or even do house chores, I can take a shower and then have to set down to rest. It is so ridiculous and now I am founding that I do not want to socialize with the few friends that I do have. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was really hoping that I would get some energy after this surgery but it looks like it will take a while before that happens. I am having trouble sleeping at night thinking of this surgery next Monday ( I really do think the waiting is the worst part of the whole thing) you can correct me if you think I am wrong. I really am happy that this surgery is available for people like me and I am so overdue taking this next chapter in my life. I will share more of my thoughts with you the day before my surgery and when I get back home from the hospital. I just want to share my experiences with you since I am sure there are those who are still trying to make up there minds and for those who are scheduled for late March and April. I am just so happy to have found this forum. Take care.

Greetings! I too, am over 55 (57 next month) and as of yesterday, am 6 months post op. I understand your concerns as I felt all of the same emotions prior to surgery. I longed for the day when I was past the worst part. I did have post surgical pain but it was manageable and temporary. The gas pains were normal because of the gas they put into the abdomen to create working space for the surgeon and their instruments. That was uncomfortable but temporary. Gratefully, I didn't have any complications and my hope for you is the same. I am down 81 pounds and am only 12 away from the pre-op goal set for me. I feel great and have so much energy. There will be some rough Patches but keep in contact with your bariatric surgical team. They are there to help you through. I wish you well. Stay strong!

Hello and how exciting on your upcoming surgery. I had post op pain but for the most part is was manageable especially with the medications they provide. I was in the hospital Thurs- Sun per my program as the first 48 hour they watch for leaks with jp drain. My biggest issue was with nausea and I am pretty sure it was from the Fentanyl they had me on (both patch and PCA) It had me so drugged out I could hardly communicate and was nauseated. They sent me home with Zofran which helps with nausea as at times still have some weird nausea which surgeon says is normal after surgery to just have weird pains, or unexplained things happening with their body. He says regardless of surgery foot or bypass this can happen and usually subsides. I did have to sleep in a reclinner for the first 12 nights home as i am a side sleeper and was so uncomfortable- I had six poke sites and the stitches really started to pull towards the end making me uncomfortable. the worst pain is the left upper quadrant and it is because of the equipment they use for surgery really torks on your muscles and so it is sore. The best thing you can do is take the meds and walk. You will do fine-also remind yourself you just had MAJOR surgery and this too shall pass. Give it time- if your worried about anything call your surgeon they are really the best support and are their to help you or ask us...

I have had horrid flatulence. I have tried gas x with little relief. I talked with my doctor and they had me try Devrom chewables it is a wonder drug and a must. You can order it at Amazon or devrom.com. It is an internal deodorant and works great.

I am six weeks out Thursday- down 32 pounds and feel great. I have energy and don't feel like I just had major surgery six weeks ago. I go back to work as a RN next week and I am ready. Yesterday I had dr. appointment and they increased diet to stage 4 or regular foods for my program so they said to introduce raw veggies and salads-just go slow.

This really is the best thing I could have done. I have struggled the last 6-7 years after being diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. I am very excited for what the future has in store-so I have no doubt you will feel great in no time at all. Just follow what they tell you.....Good Luck