Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there something wrong with me?

Hello everyone!

I have a dilemma and I need help desperately. I was banded on Jan 12 and I do not even feel like I have a band. I can eat everything and anything and everything goes down easily like before. I also have only lost about 15 pounds. I feel guilty because it was my birthday yesterday and I overate and I had no problem at all in eating. Are all of these things normal? I am having my first fill on Feb 22 so hopefully things will change and I will feel some kind of restriction. I also don't understand why my dietician didn't tell me that I could eat normally and without restriction before my first fill. I know that there is no saline in my band now but am I supposed to be able to eat freely like before the surgery and will things change after the first fill. I hope so! Please give me advice because I am really worried!

Things will change with good restriction. YOur first fill may not be it, but it will make a difference, till then, practice what you know you should do but dont be hard on yourself for falling off the wagon. 15lb off is still 15 lb and its a good amount to lose in that space of time.

Fills get you to restriction, but a fill in and of itself isn't going to do anything for your appetite. As Jachut said, it may take several fills before you get there.

Just before my first fill, I could eat a hero sandwich with no sweat. You are very much in the norm so don't panic. When I told my doc I could do this he didn't even flinch. I only felt restriction after a few fills so please, hang in there and give it time. Your gonna do great !!! :)

I don't think anything is wrong with you because I feel/felt the same way. And people on this site assured me this was normal. I still feel able to eat the way I used to, only I'm afraid so I've cut way back but could if I wanted to. I can eat anything, i've had steak, pizza, salad, raw veggies, etc with no problems at all and I'm only 5 weeks post op. I have my first fill 3/8/07 and like you, I'm hoping it will help me reduce portions. Because lets face it, if we were masters of doing that none of us would be here. I feel this is the most trying time because you're unsure what you can eat quanity wise without damaging the band, yet you still feel you could wolf half a pizza down and then some. I gotta admit, at this phase a half of cup of food just isn't cutting it for me.

I feel the exact same way as you. I was banded 7/06 and I have had several fills I now have 2.3cc's and I can feel a little restriction but I don't think I am at my magic number yet. I tell my Dr hey Im not eating a cup or 1/2 a cup I am eating more than that and he is like thats fine-he always says the lap-band can hold more than the bypass. I see him 3/13 and I am gonna tell him I need another fill because I know I need more restriction.

Everyone is right! Of the four women who had band surgery with me

1 woman - me had absolutely no restriction = I started solids eating very slow and small because I wasn't that hungry and was scared of overeating and pbing. By the time 6 weeks came around I was eating more and more, and could eat all foods, etc. I am still trying to get it right!

1 woman never got a fill and lost over 85lbs

1 woman got a small fill, eventually had it taken out as it was too much and now after almost 15 months is getting another one in a few weeks (wants to try again to lose some weight)

1 woman get fills/unfills regularly every month

Every one is different with the number and amount of fills but it is pretty common to not have any restriction right after surgery and need at least one.