Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally made my decision...New member!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say hello. I am a new member-just joined today but have been reading everyone's posts for months. I started my new job today and will have insurance April 1st!! Yay!! I have been thinking of and researching roux en y for years. I made the decision today that I am committed to the changes that are necessary. I set up my 1st appointment with the surgeon for April 3rd. The bariatric center in Lansing stated that since I completed a 24 week Optifast program three years ago that I do not have to wait 6 months. Just need to have the pre-op appointments and labs!! Hopefully I will be approved quickly and things go smoothly. I am prepared for the bumps along the way and my husband is so supportive. I just have a few questions for those who have undergone this surgery. Anyone have Dr. Mindy Lane at Sparrow? Any reviews would be nice. Also, I am an RN and can't take unscheduled time off since I am in a probationary period for since months. How would you go about asking for the time off. I am private and won't be sharing this at work. I don't have an office and work by myself going to patient's homes. Most of my work is not labor intensive-mostly computer stuff. What does everyone have to say about my tentative plan...surgery on a Wednesday, off till Sun. Back to work on Mon *IF* I feel up to it. Or should I plan to take that whole next week off? I am leaning towards the whole week but don't want to jeopardize my job. Not eligible for FMLA until 1 year of employment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not even sure I will be allowed to drive the week after surgery.

Welcome! I am semi-new here too....I read posts for several weeks before I joined. Best of luck as you go through this process. I am hoping for a mid- to late July surgery date, but I have a few more appointments to go. :)

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say hello. I am a new member-just joined today but have been reading everyone's posts for months. I started my new job today and will have insurance April 1st!! Yay!! I have been thinking of and researching roux en y for years. I made the decision today that I am committed to the changes that are necessary. I set up my 1st appointment with the surgeon for April 3rd. The bariatric center in Lansing stated that since I completed a 24 week Optifast program three years ago that I do not have to wait 6 months. Just need to have the pre-op appointments and labs!! Hopefully I will be approved quickly and things go smoothly. I am prepared for the bumps along the way and my husband is so supportive. I just have a few questions for those who have undergone this surgery. Anyone have Dr. Mindy Lane at Sparrow? Any reviews would be nice. Also' date=' I am an RN and can't take unscheduled time off since I am in a probationary period for since months. How would you go about asking for the time off. I am private and won't be sharing this at work. I don't have an office and work by myself going to patient's homes. Most of my work is not labor intensive-mostly computer stuff. What does everyone have to say about my tentative plan...surgery on a Wednesday, off till Sun. Back to work on Mon *IF* I feel up to it. Or should I plan to take that whole next week off? I am leaning towards the whole week but don't want to jeopardize my job. Not eligible for FMLA until 1 year of employment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not even sure I will be allowed to drive the week after surgery.[/quote']

I'm taking a full 10 days off. I've read a few days to several weeks off. I think it's just going to depend on you. My sister had this 6 years ago and was at work 2 days after surg.- although she did great, I don't recommend that at all. I'm praying I will have a smooth transition - I have a really busy week the week I'm scheduled to return.

Hi. Welcome. Congratulations on your decision. I am also in the preop stages, have my sleep study tonight

Cat, Welcome and congrats! One thing I will say is you may still be on pain meds at that point so you will not be able to drive. I would plan for the following week. Also, that will give you time if you have complications. I did and there was no way I could go back in two weeks. Also, I am Sr. HR person with my company and a lot of companies have medical leave options if you are not yet qualified for FMLA. I had mine at 6 months. I know you are excited to have your surgery but make sure you plan for complications and contingency plans if you maybe not reacting well to the surgery. I did not tell really anyone at work, not even my manager. However, she did see my return to work note from the bariatric center.

Hi I just had the Gastric Sleeve on 2/26/13 I took two weeks off but I think I took way too long could have went back on this Monday. You just will have alot of gas it isn't painful but you very extremely bloated

I will be taking one week off and then working from home the following week. I will apply for short term disability though in case of a complication.

Welcome.

I have read a week minimum (spelling).

One thing to consider is the up, down, sit, stand and bend. I have had c-sections so I am aware of the pain.

See what you can do.

Great that you don't have to wait 6 months.

Ask the surgeon what his reccomendations are.

Missy Brown LPN