Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone PLEASE tell me this gets better

Same thing happened to me. Back in the hospital for two more days because of pain. I am now 10 days out and there is still a lot of discomfort on my left side. Milk of magnesia really helped me get rid of gas. In still gassy but a lot better. It will get better as the days go by.

Well now they did a CT scan and said it looks like my appendix need to come out. Finally the gas is going down some from my bypass and now there wanting to take me back for appendix surgery. Not sure if I'm going to be able to handle this.

Hello to all, I am new here and I am having my RNY on March 11th which is coming up very shortly. I was never told about gas pain, should I go ahead and get gas-x or what kind should I get. I have been told I will be in the hospitla for an overnight and go home the next afternoon. I am so nervous but I know I need this surgery. Any helpful comments as to what I need for gas will be appreicated. Thank you all again.

I also was allowed to take 15 ml which is equivalent to a 7.5/500 mg tab- which is fairly good dose. For those that aren't getting good pain control you may need to ask for a different medication. The left side is going to hurt fairly bad but everyday should get better. This is due to the fact that they really torked on that muscle with the equipment used for the surgery. I just know the more you move the better it will get. Just remember you have had major surgery. I do know that after I got my stitches out i had almost NO pain. The stitches really started to pull and made it very uncomfortable.

Hello Virginians.....I am from Virginia Beach... I had my surgery at Portsmonth Naval Hospital... Just wanted to say hello

Hey there Jayla,

I'm feeling great.... Everything went smooth.. I am really excited about that because all previous surgeries have been a disaster . Went home on the morning of the 3rd day... No pain meds since morning of the 2nd day. Thanks for asking !

What about you ...what did you have done and when? And how are things going for you since the surgery? I'm only 4 days post opt so I still have a whole lot to learn. Nice to talk to someone local .... This board has been a great help to me without it I think I would have been totally ignorant to things that could have happened. And lots of helpful info on what to expect ... It's amazing how the medical staff leaves so much stuff out that is important... I told mine that they should have someone thats at least been through it to help you with questions instead you get some life long skinny person that can't relate ...sorry just rambling ..great to meet you

Interesting that everyone keeps talking about left side pain. Mine is ENTIRELY from 1 incision on the right. I just have to hold it/apply pressure whenever I move.

I'm back at my house now instead of my parents. It's a toss up... If I stay with them, they take such good care of me and ask if I need anything and if I feel ok, but they eat bags of chips on the couch right next to me and have donuts and candy bars on the kitchen counter, and openly debated for 30 minutes this morning about going to get Breakfast at McDonald's. And they are in a 1 bedroom apartment, so there's nowhere to really hide.

At home, my husband is very busy with the children, so I have to be more self-reliant, but they aren't eating anything tempting around me and I can stay upstairs and bed and avoid chaos if I need to. And, he just left to go get pizza, so I need to make sure my bedroom door stays CLOSED.

If pain is still bad on Monday morning, will call surgeon for another prescription. Can anyone tell me when they stopped needing pain medicine altogether?

I used pain meds for a week. But I mostly took them at 10:00 pm to get some sleep. I only slept until 2:00 am though. I slept in a recliner for 11/2 weeks.

DOS 12/17/12 :)