Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally met with the surgeon!

I first tried to start the process for WLS a year ago, but my insurance didn't cover it. This year, we got new insurance, and it is covered! So yesterday I finally met with the surgeon for the first time. My BMI is 44.5, and I have no other physical health issues, so they seemed to breeze through everything with me. However, they informed me that my insurance requires a 6 month supervised diet before they will approve surgery. My question, though, is what if I lose too much? Will they then say sorry, your BMI isn't high enough? I was getting so much information at the appointment yesterday that I didn't think to ask. I don't want to lose so much that I'm no longer considered for surgery, but I need to show them that I am serious about losing weight. Did anyone else have to do this?

Since I have no other health issues, I think my BMI may need to be at 40 to qualify for surgery, which means I can't lose much weight.

The good news is that I don't have to do anything else besides this diet, the psych eval and attending some meetings/support groups. No sleep study, so that is good!

You sound just like me at your stage. :D The time will fly by!

They use your starting BMI so you should be fine. Good luck to you!

I am a worrier to begin with... I will be over-analyzing everything, which is my reason for joining RNY Talk. I have a million things that run through my mind, so I like to see what others have to say. :) Thanks!

I first tried to start the process for WLS a year ago' date=' but my insurance didn't cover it. This year, we got new insurance, and it is covered! So yesterday I finally met with the surgeon for the first time. My BMI is 44.5, and I have no other physical health issues, so they seemed to breeze through everything with me. However, they informed me that my insurance requires a 6 month supervised diet before they will approve surgery. My question, though, is what if I lose too much? Will they then say sorry, your BMI isn't high enough? I was getting so much information at the appointment yesterday that I didn't think to ask. I don't want to lose so much that I'm no longer considered for surgery, but I need to show them that I am serious about losing weight. Did anyone else have to do this?

Since I have no other health issues, I think my BMI may need to be at 40 to qualify for surgery, which means I can't lose much weight.

The good news is that I don't have to do anything else besides this diet, the psych eval and attending some meetings/support groups. No sleep study, so that is good![/quote']

Think of it like this. If you lose alot of weight you may not need to do or you may not want to do the surgery. Surgery should be the last resort. I wish I could of done on my own. This is not easy. It is a lot harder then I thought. Part of me think it is harder then dieting. But with that said if you honestly have tried dieting before and it hasnt worked then you probably wont lose enough weight to change your insurance companys mind now. Good luck..

That's true. I've lost weight many times and gain it back. So I'm looking at this surgery to help me long term rather than this up and down I've done for the last ten years. I met with my doctor to start this diet and am feeling much better. I thought she'd want me to do a calorie restrictive diet but she's having me focus on limiting different things, changing habits, and starting some moderate exercise. So she's not really looking for a big loss. That's a relief.

That's true. I've lost weight many times and gain it back. So I'm looking at this surgery to help me long term rather than this up and down I've done for the last ten years. I met with my doctor to start this diet and am feeling much better. I thought she'd want me to do a calorie restrictive diet but she's having me focus on limiting different things' date=' changing habits, and starting some moderate exercise. So she's not really looking for a big loss. That's a relief.[/quote']

That's good cutting out things now will make it easier after surgery. 6 months will fly by.

I had to do the 6 mo diet also..... honestly I didn't try hard to lose a lot of weight in fear that they may deny my surgery....I lost a total of like 7 lbs and still had a bmi of over 40. Good luck to you!

xo Hilary