Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or By Pass?

Does diabetes run in your family? If so you might want to consider RNY. That's a huge reason why me and my husband both picked RNY

Jessica. can't wait to start this journey. Approved' date=' waiting on a date!!![/quote']

Yes. Does the RNY prevent diabetes?

My new journey 2013

Yes. Does the RNY prevent diabetes?

My new journey 2013

I was told by my surgeon that.in most cases Patients that are insulin dependent leave the hospital no longer dependent on it. And are in a way cured. Your body absorbs most of its sugar in the first 200cm of your intestines. With RNY you don't use that 200cm.

This link will help.

http://www.butneveragain.org/blog/?p=441

Jessica. can't wait to start this journey. Approved, waiting on a date!!!

My new journey truly begins on Tuesday, March 5th, when I begin my 2 week preop Liquid Protein diet. I have chosen RNY, for a few different reasons. My biggest? The chance to say goodbye to diabetes - and RNY is the best wls for that. I am attending support groups already, discussing experiences, accomplishments, doubts, failures, etc. Arm yourself with information, my friends...it is most certainly out there! March 19th surgery date, here we come!!

I am so happy to have found this forum, for the past 2 years I have been going back and forth sleeve or rny. I have finally decided to have the rny and I will tell you why. I am a border line diabetic with sleep apnea. I sometimes get acid flex during the day and sometimes at night. I also have a serious sweet tooth it is so bad that I know I should stop but I don't. I had to take a tough look at myself and for once in my life be very honest since I do not want to have another surgery down the road. I spoke with my dietition and we had a very serious one on one discussion and I have decided that rny is the way for me to go. RNY will help eleviate me from going into full blown diabetic's and it is a better way to go if you experience acid reflex since the sleeve can make it worse. RNY will also FORCE me to stop the sugar roller coaster I have been on and it will take my craving for all things sugar away, with the sleeve, I will still have cravings for sugar. I really need to get my life back and start enjoying activities with the rest of my family. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. This journey we are on together is also a personal journey and each one of us needs to do what is best for yourself. I know it is scaring to have your insides re-routed ( I'm scared ) but I do not like having 70 to 80% of my stomach cut out either. My surgeon told me the RNY is the gold standard for weight loss surgery that has been around for 25 or more years. The sleeve is newer and there had been great success with the sleeve but they will be collecting data over the next 20 years to have better picture. Which ever surgery you decide is best for you is up to each one of us. Down deep you already know what is best for you. With all my health issues I know RNY is right for me. Good Luck to all.

I was told by my surgeon that.in most cases Patients that are insulin dependent leave the hospital no longer dependent on it. And are in a way cured. Your body absorbs most of its sugar in the first 200cm of your intestines. With RNY you don't use that 200cm.

This link will help.

http://www.butneveragain.org/blog/?p=441

Jessica. can't wait to start this journey. Approved' date=' waiting on a date!!![/quote']

I didn't know that. Thank you for the web link.

My new journey 2013

My new journey truly begins on Tuesday' date=' March 5th, when I begin my 2 week preop liquid Protein diet. I have chosen RNY, for a few different reasons. My biggest? The chance to say goodbye to diabetes - and RNY is the best wls for that. I am attending support groups already, discussing experiences, accomplishments, doubts, failures, etc. Arm yourself with information, my friends...it is most certainly out there! March 19th surgery date, here we come!![/quote']

March 5, are you going to eat a favorite food of your before you start your liquid diet? That's right the more info I know the better.

My new journey 2013

I am so happy to have found this forum' date=' for the past 2 years I have been going back and forth sleeve or rny. I have finally decided to have the rny and I will tell you why. I am a border line diabetic with sleep apnea. I sometimes get acid flex during the day and sometimes at night. I also have a serious sweet tooth it is so bad that I know I should stop but I don't. I had to take a tough look at myself and for once in my life be very honest since I do not want to have another surgery down the road. I spoke with my dietition and we had a very serious one on one discussion and I have decided that rny is the way for me to go. RNY will help eleviate me from going into full blown diabetic's and it is a better way to go if you experience acid reflex since the sleeve can make it worse. RNY will also FORCE me to stop the sugar roller coaster I have been on and it will take my craving for all things sugar away, with the sleeve, I will still have cravings for sugar. I really need to get my life back and start enjoying activities with the rest of my family. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. This journey we are on together is also a personal journey and each one of us needs to do what is best for yourself. I know it is scaring to have your insides re-routed ( I'm scared ) but I do not like having 70 to 80% of my stomach cut out either. My surgeon told me the RNY is the gold standard for weight loss surgery that has been around for 25 or more years. The sleeve is newer and there had been great success with the sleeve but they will be collecting data over the next 20 years to have better picture. Which ever surgery you decide is best for you is up to each one of us. Down deep you already know what is best for you. With all my health issues I know RNY is right for me. Good Luck to all.[/quote']

I'm not diabetic, I have acid reflex, but diabetes run in my family, and most of my family are over weight. I don't want to be part of the over weight team I want to get and be healthy. Your right I do need to take a good look and face the true about myself and make a good decision and have my surgery done one time. Thank you for your opinion and info.

My new journey 2013

March 5' date=' are you going to eat a favorite food of your before you start your liquid diet? That's right the more info I know the better.

My new journey 2013[/quote']

Mia...I most certainly am! Lol The last few days I have been enjoying those little things, and Monday night will enjoy a dinner at Red Lobster with my husband, a few days early of our 11 year first date anniversary. I will have these things again, I am thinking, just never in the quantities of the past. So Tuesday morning I wrap my arms around my new life, luckily with a totally supportive family!

March 5' date=' are you going to eat a favorite food of your before you start your liquid diet? That's right the more info I know the better.

My new journey 2013[/quote']

Mia...I most certainly am! Lol The last few days I have been enjoying those little things, and Monday night will enjoy a dinner at Red Lobster with my husband, a few days early of our 11 year first date anniversary. I will have these things again, I am thinking, just never in the quantities of the past. So Tuesday morning I wrap my arms around my new life, luckily with a totally supportive family!

Mia...I most certainly am! Lol The last few days I have been enjoying those little things' date=' and Monday night will enjoy a dinner at Red Lobster with my husband, a few days early of our 11 year first date anniversary. I will have these things again, I am thinking, just never in the quantities of the past. So Tuesday morning I wrap my arms around my new life, luckily with a totally supportive family![/quote']

LoL! Good you should enjoy your self before your new healthy journey. That's what I was thinking of doing having a good last favorite meal before my liquid diet. I don't have my surgery date yet I have my EGD on Tuesday March 5. Then I have clinical psychologists evaluation after that the doctor turns in my papers to the insurance. Hoping to get all done by the end of this month.

My new journey 2013

LoL! Good you should enjoy your self before your new healthy journey. That's what I was thinking of doing having a good last favorite meal before my liquid diet. I don't have my surgery date yet I have my EGD on Tuesday March 5. Then I have clinical psychologists evaluation after that the doctor turns in my papers to the insurance. Hoping to get all done by the end of this month.

My new journey 2013

Mia...did you get a surgery date yet? :-)

Bypass date 3.19.13 CW 254 GW 145

I too struggled with the decision - I am having the sleeve - I'm a diabetic controlled by diet, and no other extras. My surgeon suggested the sleeve, and most of his own staff including my nutritionist has the sleeve. I don't want rerouted or the option of dumping!

Surgery date: march 27

I too struggled with the decision - I am having the sleeve - I'm a diabetic controlled by diet' date=' and no other extras. My surgeon suggested the sleeve, and most of his own staff including my nutritionist has the sleeve. I don't want rerouted or the option of dumping!

Surgery date: march 27[/quote']

I'm now going with the bypass. But i was heading the sleeve way if i had to pay out of pocket.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using RNYTalk