Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or By Pass?

I chose rny because if medications I am on for rhuematoid arthritis. Doc said I had a better success rate with rny, and the sleeve was still very new. He said I would lose more weight with rny. I have friends who had the sleeve done and they regained the weight. I also wanted to do the surgery once. Rny is the final WLS to have done and I wanted to get a proven method the first time.

I chose rny because if medications I am on for rhuematoid arthritis. Doc said I had a better success rate with rny' date=' and the sleeve was still very new. He said I would lose more weight with rny. I have friends who had the sleeve done and they regained the weight. I also wanted to do the surgery once. Rny is the final WLS to have done and I wanted to get a proven method the first time.[/quote']

Ok. That's the problem I don't want to gain my weight back. I heard you can gain your weight back after 5yrs with the sleeve surgery. How long was your recovery?

My new journey 2013

Ok. That's the problem I don't want to gain my weight back. I heard you can gain your weight back after 5yrs with the sleeve surgery. How long was your recovery?

My new journey 2013

I was back to work after a week. I was able to play soccer 6 weeks after - although the first game was really hard.

What does your doc recommend?

I was back to work after a week. I was able to play soccer 6 weeks after - although the first game was really hard.

What does your doc recommend?

He asked me what procedure I was interested in an I told him the sleeve and he explained it to me along with the bypass. He said lots of patients change there mind last minute. If I want a fast weight lost bypass is the best, If I want a slower weight loss go with the sleeve. I have a EGD apt next week and after that I will make my decision depending on what the doctor see.

My new journey 2013

I have friends that have had both procedures done and successfully gained the weight back. What helped me make my decision is one of my friends that had then sleeve about 4 years ago Came to visit me at Thanksgiving this past year. She was successfully drinking 2 L of Dr Pepper every single day. Ice cream, chips Cookies any Snacks that we had in our house she was successfully able to eat as much as she wanted to. All she had to do was eat it a little bit at a time and she could eat it all day. It was almost disgusting because I came home from work over the long weekend with some donuts and she ate two of them immediately after I walked through the door and 20 minutes later when I had made a dinner of sautéed veggies and couscous she was too full to eat.

I don't assume that all sleeve patients behave this way, we all know that no matter which procedure we go with we have to make the right decisions for it to work long term, but watching what she was able to 'get away with' made my decision for me.

I have friends that have had both procedures done and successfully gained the weight back. What helped me make my decision is one of my friends that had then sleeve about 4 years ago Came to visit me at Thanksgiving this past year. She was successfully drinking 2 L of Dr Pepper every single day. Ice cream' date=' chips Cookies any Snacks that we had in our house she was successfully able to eat as much as she wanted to. All she had to do was eat it a little bit at a time and she could eat it all day. It was almost disgusting because I came home from work over the long weekend with some donuts and she ate two of them immediately after I walked through the door and 20 minutes later when I had made a dinner of sautéed veggies and couscous she was too full to eat.

I don't assume that all sleeve patients behave this way, we all know that no matter which procedure we go with we have to make the right decisions for it to work long term, but watching what she was able to 'get away with' made my decision for me.[/quote']

I will say I am able to eat anything I want, and don't get horribly sick with rny. However I choose not to. Both can cheat!

I have friends that have had both procedures done and successfully gained the weight back. What helped me make my decision is one of my friends that had then sleeve about 4 years ago Came to visit me at Thanksgiving this past year. She was successfully drinking 2 L of Dr Pepper every single day. Ice cream' date=' chips Cookies any Snacks that we had in our house she was successfully able to eat as much as she wanted to. All she had to do was eat it a little bit at a time and she could eat it all day. It was almost disgusting because I came home from work over the long weekend with some donuts and she ate two of them immediately after I walked through the door and 20 minutes later when I had made a dinner of sautéed veggies and couscous she was too full to eat.

I don't assume that all sleeve patients behave this way, we all know that no matter which procedure we go with we have to make the right decisions for it to work long term, but watching what she was able to 'get away with' made my decision for me.[/quote']

I heard you can still eat the same foods with the sleeve, but with the the rny there's more restriction.

Now if ur friend can eat like that and stay slim that's good. Her metabolism is great.

My new journey 2013

I will say I am able to eat anything I want' date=' and don't get horribly sick with rny. However I choose not to. Both can cheat![/quote']

Really? What causes dumping syndrome? I read that's part of a side effect in rny. Did you ever have that happen?

My new journey 2013

Really? What causes dumping syndrome? I read that's part of a side effect in rny. Did you ever have that happen?

My new journey 2013

Dumping is caused by eating something your body does not agree with. It can happen with many things and is different for everyone. I have had dumping and it is not pleasant at all. For me it was ice cream. I have not touched the stuff since - just not worth it. I can eat candy in small qualities and that satisfies my sweet tooth. The key is to learn and listen to your body. I can get what I would call pre-dumping feeling and I know my body is about to be really pissed off and I stop. Most of those foods I do not eat again.

The most important thing to remember is that this is a tool. It does not correct bad eating habits. You must do that for yourself. If you ignore your body enough you will be able to eat whatever you put into it. For example you said your friend was drinking soda - well I have a sip of soda maybe 3 times a month. Just need a sip to taste the carbonation, but any more and I know I could get my body used to the feelings associated with drinking it. For me it is not worth that trade off. I did this to be healthy and although I have a new tool to help that it is up to me to change my ways. This is more a mental game than physical. No matter if you get band/sleeve/bypass. If you are not ready to commit to the lifestyle change then you are not ready for this.

Dumping is caused by eating something your body does not agree with. It can happen with many things and is different for everyone. I have had dumping and it is not pleasant at all. For me it was ice cream. I have not touched the stuff since - just not worth it. I can eat candy in small qualities and that satisfies my sweet tooth. The key is to learn and listen to your body. I can get what I would call pre-dumping feeling and I know my body is about to be really pissed off and I stop. Most of those foods I do not eat again.

The most important thing to remember is that this is a tool. It does not correct bad eating habits. You must do that for yourself. If you ignore your body enough you will be able to eat whatever you put into it. For example you said your friend was drinking soda - well I have a sip of soda maybe 3 times a month. Just need a sip to taste the carbonation' date=' but any more and I know I could get my body used to the feelings associated with drinking it. For me it is not worth that trade off. I did this to be healthy and although I have a new tool to help that it is up to me to change my ways. This is more a mental game than physical. No matter if you get band/sleeve/bypass. If you are not ready to commit to the lifestyle change then you are not ready for this.[/quote']

Ok so if your stomach not happy you will know. Nicely put. I really don't drink soda that much or even eat sweet. The problem I have is over eating. I eat to get full and that's a bad thing. My mom use to tell me when I was growing up I can't get up from the table unless I ate everything off my plate, because there's hungry people in the world and throwing food away is wrong. I'm looking forward to just being able to eat half or 1/4 of a meal and geting full. It is a mental thing and it takes will power but I know I'm ready. I love change and I'm ready for my life to change too.

My new journey 2013

Ok so if your stomach not happy you will know. Nicely put. I really don't drink soda that much or even eat sweet. The problem I have is over eating. I eat to get full and that's a bad thing. My mom use to tell me when I was growing up I can't get up from the table unless I ate everything off my plate' date=' because there's hungry people in the world and throwing food away is wrong. I'm looking forward to just being able to eat half or 1/4 of a meal and geting full. It is a mental thing and it takes will power but I know I'm ready. I love change and I'm ready for my life to change too.

My new journey 2013[/quote']

Well I can tell you the full feeling is what I get the most. It feels like you have eaten thanksgiving dinner all the time, and you have not had that much. The nice thing about bypass is that if you eat to much your body throws things in reverse and you quickly learn not to do that again.

However this is really where the mental issue comes into play. You will order or fix a bigger plate then you can eat. You have to have the discipline to say no and walk away. Again your body will punish you if you don't.

Well I can tell you the full feeling is what I get the most. It feels like you have eaten thanksgiving dinner all the time' date=' and you have not had that much. The nice thing about bypass is that if you eat to much your body throws things in reverse and you quickly learn not to do that again.

However this is really where the mental issue comes into play. You will order or fix a bigger plate then you can eat. You have to have the discipline to say no and walk away. Again your body will punish you if you don't.[/quote']

LoL! I like the fact that you and your stomach has to get to know each other again. So Portion Control.< /p>

My new journey 2013

Yes, but I would say you get to know your new body as a whole. Stomach and mind are the biggest changes. After several months you have to get to know the new you on the outside. People who have not seen you in a while are shocked. Then there is a time when you realize new people in your life do not know of your struggle. They see the skinny you and not the fat suit. I showed some new friends last night an old picture of myself and they said they did not recognize me at all.

It is a journey and well worth the ride!

Yes' date=' but I would say you get to know your new body as a whole. Stomach and mind are the biggest changes. After several months you have to get to know the new you on the outside. People who have not seen you in a while are shocked. Then there is a time when you realize new people in your life do not know of your struggle. They see the skinny you and not the fat suit. I showed some new friends last night an old picture of myself and they said they did not recognize me at all.

It is a journey and well worth the ride![/quote']

That makes sense. Its like a reset botton to your health and body to do things right. How did you feel when your friends did recognize? People in my life knows me as chubby one , & the little fatter one. I don't want to known for that anymore. I've tried different diets and plans but nothing worked and the only thing I hear from people are well maybe your not ment to loose weight. Hearing that makes me mad.

My new journey 2013

I'm thinking of getting the sleeve because I really don't want anything rerouted in my body and I don't want to loose weight that fast to have extra skin or get to skinny that I look sick. I have 6 coworkers that got the by pass done and 3 of them wished if the sleeve was available at that time they would of gotten it. They been having problem' date=' and some side effect. My question is what helped you make your decision? And are you happy? I know once you got the surgery done there's no turning back and having regrets.

My new journey 2013[/quote']

Does diabetes run in your family? If so you might want to consider RNY. That's a huge reason why me and my husband both picked RNY

Jessica. can't wait to start this journey. Approved, waiting on a date!!!