Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new, young, and kinda scared

ok so first off, i am only 16. I am an avid swimmer and swim up to 4 hours a day on top of running. I swim distance and I have the endurace to do a lot, but no matter what i do, the weight stays. i weigh about 265ish.

theres a clinic in chicago that does teens in my situation, and my mother knows everything ive been though, shes always been the one ive came home from school crying to everyday i was made fun of. but my father (my parents are divorced) is very single minded and says that he did research on the band and says he doesnt support me in anyway doing this. he says its wrong thati am wanting to have this surgery, but all i can think of is being able to be... well normal per say. i want to be like all my friends in terms of having fun at the beach and wearing shorts etc.

but they reason im scared is because of my father i guess, he wont even go to the meeting with me and the doctor that will do the surgery. so do you guys have any advice for me? :confused::help:

Hi Purp!

Cling to your mom. If your dad comes around GREAT but he might not. Try not to worry about him too much, and really hang tight to your mom. sounds like she can be a very good support for you in this.

Purple Girl,

The decision whether or not to get the band is very personal and also a very big decision. It is good to have your family supporting your wanting the band, however, if your Dad cannot learn to accept the band then you will have to determine whether or not his support is a deciding factor for you. You should talk to your Dad and ask him what his specific reservations about the band are. In the meantime, you can learn more about the procedure and how you will live after the band. Sit down and talk with your Dad and try to address each of his specific concerns. Below is a link from the makers of the Lap-Band which you and your Dad might find helpful.

http://www.lap-band.com/lapband/documents/7.6%20HM0348%20Surgical%20Aid%20Booklet.pdf

I wish you the best!

ill be sure to look at these site. thank you all for all the support, it really is reassuring. i go for my consuiltation on the 22nd of this month. im super excited, i just got the info packet in the mail today

You are taking a big step and you're gaining control over your life! I wish I could have had the surgery when I was 16...you will truly benefit from the band in so many ways. That being said, you should go into this knowing all of the risks AND benefits. Learn all that you can, ask lots of questions, read everything. Good luck!!

Hello Miss Purple,

First of all, I have been over weight all my life. I have also had the same problems that you have and I do feel for you. To top it all off, my beautiful daughter followed in my foot steps. Its all in our genitics here with us. I bet your dad never has been over weight or had his feelings hurt like all of us. My daughter and I both are having it done together on the 14th and I hope it will make our lifes much better. If we would have known about the lap band when she was 16 or even myself, I would SAY...GO FOR IT AND BE HEALTHY AND HAPPY. Good luck with everything.

Take your mom for sure. The youngest bandster my doctor did was around your age. I think it is great you are looking into it. I will really help that you are so active. That is a great plus.

Everyone is giving you really great advice. The only thing I would add is that you should educate yourself as much as possible about the band. The good, the bad, the ugly, the scary, everything. Your dad might just be scared that his little girl is jumping into something she doesn't understand. Encourage him to come with you so he can see that you're asking intelligent, well informed questions.

I hope he comes around. Keep us posted!

(((hugs!!)))

thank you guys, you are all so much help. i really tahnk you. i think im going to try and scedule my surgery at the beginning of this summer.

and disco, my dad currently is overweight, but he didnt become this way until he was an adult. he told me he could eat anything he wanted, and never gain a pound. of course with me it seems i look at somehting and gain 5 pounds lol