Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 WEEKS Post Op advise?

Afternoon all. OK here's my question. I am 4 weeks this Thursday post op.

I am on my last week of mushy food.< /p>

I have to admit three things.

1. I haven't been drinking Water religiously.

2. I haven't stuck to completely mushy foods during this last two weeks

3. I have had more than recommended portions.

I've been following the basic rules of Weight Watchers, and choosing wisely, and go onto full food as of this Sat the 17th.

I am of the impression that once I get the first fill, this will really help the 'eating more than recommended' amount. Someone please tell me my thinking/theory is correct...it just seems sooo long until my first fill the 28th.

I realize this is the healing period, and that I really shouldn't expect to be loosing at this point. I have maintained my loss of 12 lbs pre op, but I really should not be expecting anything during this time right?????

OK now I'm going to drink more water.

Thanks for letting me rant!

~DB

I'm 3 mos post op and I still don't drink enough Water. You will definitely feel better after your first fill. I was starving 3 wks post op and was able to eat almost like before the band, so what you're feeling is completely normal. This is the healing period and your body is getting used to a foreign object. Don't stress about eating too much, just try your best and make good food choices.

blownaway36 - i think we share the same banding date! I will be 4 weeks post op Thursday too!

My doctor says the weighloss doesn't really begin until the fills begin. I went to a support meeting and one of the lapband patients asked about her gaining weight, he said that was normal, she hadn't had a fill yet.

Hey everybody!

I am 4 weeks post op Friday...... I have had as much of an appetite as before I got banded. I want to cry.... I can't seem to control my eating. I am trying to be patient, but my first fill isn't until the 27th. Somebody please tell me things will change after my fill!!!!!!

Ok I am thru whining :mad:

Really, Folks

It starts to get better after the first fill and it gets a little better with each consecutive fill. Hopefully, your band docs will be agressive - or you will get filled under flouro - which might help you get good restriction sooner.

Right now, particularly if you have the big Vanguard band, it isn't doing a thing for you. It's the rare lucky soul who gets restriction right out of the box.

The rest of us just have to slog through that 2-3 weeks of pre-op type starvation until we start getting fills.

So long as you don't go completely insane and start eating EVERYTHING you can reach, you should be ok. You are still healing - so try to take it easy, and definitely DON'T eat till you're stuffed - but if you eat more than a cup or whatever fantasy serving size your doc gave you - don't panic. It will be ok. Let it ride until you start getting fills - and keep demanding fills until you get restriction.

***WATER is important. The only way I get close to enough is to drink in the car on my way to and from work. I try to drink a litre bottle each way and drink addl Water throughout the day. Sip, Sip, Sip. The only downside to great restriction is that you really can't guzzle water anymore. You have to sip and pause, sip and pause.

Good Luck!!!

I am four week out as of the 17th - nice to know that others at this point are having the same things going on - I am eating about half of what I was before, but that is due to self control, not lack of being able to - but there is no way that I deal with only the 3oz or protein/3x a day that my doctor recommended. I know myself well enought to know that if at this point I tried that I would eventually binge. I have discovered that when I do eat that I tend to stay full alot longer than before, which is encouraging. I am excited about my first fill - would be interested in knowing how others are doing after their first.

It's perfectly normal to feel hungry, and to be able to eat large amounts. Just be careful with your new band. Don't risk a pb at this point, stick to your mushies. As for Water, gulp if you have to to get it in now, cause later you may not be able to gulp anymore. I know some people who can gulp with good restriction but I sure can't. Water intake has to be my primary focus during the day or I don't get enough, so practice getting enough now. As for weight loss, how much you lose now will be all you, the band won't start to really help you till you have good restriction. Good luck and congrats all you new bandsters :)