Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STRICTURE? Please help me

Can someone tell me the symptoms of a stricture? I am almost 4 weeks post op. I have been on soft foods for 2 weeks. My first week of soft foods I ate laughing cow cheese, turkey n cheese roll up, eggs, string cheese, and turkey chili. They were all very small amounts and I ate very slowly and chewed well and things seemed ok. This 2nd weekend of soft foods has been completely opposite. I can't eat any of those things no matter how slow or how little. The first very well chewed bite sits in my chest and hurts so badly I don't eat. Today was worse. Today I tried a chicken Soup (no pasta) and after like three very spread out chewed bites my chest was killing me. I mean I couldn't breathe and I was hurting so bad. I tried to walk it off but finally ended up running to bathroom throwing up. (My first time) Afterwards I felt better but now it hurts even eating my Popsicle. Do I have something wrong or is my body just trying to recuperate from today's episode?

What's even worse is for the past 4 weeks I have been in so much pain on my left side and today (up until my episode) was my first day without pain.

Am I a paranoid hypochondriac? Or is it possible something is wrong? Yeah I haven't had a huge problem until today but I haven't been able to eat anything for a week because it gets stuck.

Is a stricture a lot worse than my symptoms and if I had one I'd definitely know it or is it like what I'm experiencing?

Opinions and advice are appreciated.

Well I don't know what's up but probably not a stricture. I just tried a Popsicle again and this time it went down fine. It's just the food I can't eat ???????

Sounds like a stricture to me!! I have had 2 so far. One when I was about where you are and then again a month later

Oh and I was able to drink with my stricture

My surgeon said you will be able to drink with a stricture just not eat. You will either feel like food is stuck or get nauseous and vomit as food wont pass easily. I would definitely call your surgeon and see what he thinks. You shouldn't be having problems eating. I do know that they warned my about trying one new food item a day as trying to many items can cause this. Other causes can be eating too fast, and dehydration. Sometimes people can do everything correctly and still have them. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow. If my chest still feels this way I'm going to call my surgeon.

Thanks for replying.

How do they know if you have one? Is there a test or something?

I finally called the doctor and he asked if I was getting down liquids and I said yes. He wants me to try to eat some soft foods (deli turkey cheese) and see if I hurt with that. If I do he wants me to call him and meet him at hospital. Please pray I will be fine. I haven't even tried any real foods since I got sick on Tuesday.

Praying for you. They did tell me that sometimes if you back off and go back to liquids for a few days and then try soft food everything is okay. I hope you don't have a stricutre but if you do it is an easy fix... Keep us posted..

Praying for you. They did tell me that sometimes if you back off and go back to liquids for a few days and then try soft food everything is okay. I hope you don't have a stricutre but if you do it is an easy fix... Keep us posted..

Thanks nienie.

Sounds like a stricture-mine got so bad I couldn't even drink fluids.-had it twice.

Yeah he said if it is a stricture it will get worse and eventually I won't be able to get in liquids and I will get dehydrated. He doesn't want me to let it get to that point. He said to try soft foods and if I have issues call him.

What do they do if it is a stricture?

Yeah he said if it is a stricture it will get worse and eventually I won't be able to get in liquids and I will get dehydrated. He doesn't want me to let it get to that point. He said to try soft foods and if I have issues call him.

What do they do if it is a stricture?

They do an outpatient procedure called an EGD. They go done your throat with a scope/camera and reopen the stoma opening. I have heard there is not much too it...

They do an outpatient procedure called an EGD. They go done your throat with a scope/camera and reopen the stoma opening. I have heard there is not much too it...

Do they put you to sleep?

Do they put you to sleep?

I would imagine they give you something... When we do EGD's at hospital we put them under briefly.. Not fully under like when we had surgery but usually with a little versed or something. It is a quick procedure and you are usually in and out within a few hours..