Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Out NO WEIGHT LOST

I'm ready to throw myself off a bridge...I really am. I had a band put in six months ago and have actually gained five pounds. I've had FIVE fills and the food still just whisks through...they won't fill it any further and have checked for leaks. I have NEVER felt more than just a tad constricted. I can guzzle 20 ounces of Water at a time in huge gulps, take a big bite of something and swallow it hole, swallow huge pills...I just don't get it. I do feel full faster, but am perfectly capable of eating 2 cups of food before I feel full. I have always eaten a pretty healthy diet, low carbs, little fat, but just eat too damn much, and nothing has changed with the band. The Dr. keeps insisting I must be eating gallons of ice cream or other easy to swallow, high calorie soft foods. I wish the bastard could come to my house and see what I eat. The problem is the same as always...I'm hungrier for way more food than my body burns off. With three meals a day I still need two Snacks. Has anyone else had as dissapointing of an experience as I have? What the hell is wrong with me?:help: :cry

Why won't they give you another fill? Have they tried the Omniplaque fill to see if maybe you have a pinhole leak?

Yikes! What sized band do you have? The number of fills is pretty meaningless - it's really about getting you to the point of restriction.

I am really interested to find out why in the heck they won't give you another fill.

I lost VERY slowly over the last 12 mos - mostly because it took multiple fills to get anywhere close to restriction and I didn't get GOOD restriction until the 9th month.

So, I can see how you might be having a problem, especially if you were eating pretty healthy before.

Get in your Doctor's face. Explain that you have hunger issues and the band is supposed to help with that.

It's really all I can think of to do, except maybe bump up the exercise, a little.

Hugs!

Definitely feel your frustruation - have it too still trying to find the right restriction after over one year. Are you getting your fills under flouro? I had all but one under flouro and found the fill amount was quite a bit different then was suppossed to be put in. I won't have another without it - I'm suppossed to eat three meals and two Snacks a day now to see if that will help me lose weight - sorry to hear that doesn't work for you. I do watch my portion sizes very closely and always stop before 'full' - i'm not a bandster that is 'stuffed' with two bites - you may have had several fills but you aren't probably restricted - i suggest getting a fill under flouro, if after one month you don't feel restriction - go back.

I've also heard several folks say that didn't lose weight until after 6 months

Request "firmly", if they have not already, to have your port checked for any leaks. Unless your port is leaking, I cannot understand why you would not be receiving "some" restriction. I realize it is different with everyone, however my first fill was 2.5 and soooo tight I could eat very little. They had to take it out for a couple of months and then put back in 1.8. That is the only fill I have had and it has been 17 months since surgery - 86 lbs.

Good luck!

i can totally relate!!! be sure to get it checked for leaks.. today i just fought out that i have a leak it has been 7 months since i had the band placed and i have been so discouraged reading and talking to other bandster about their big losses i just thought on great i'm failing at this too, but i think the port has been leaking the whole time be cause i have never felt any resstriction. so i am due to have the port fixed in a couple of weeks and hopefully i can get started on some big losses of my own. so my advice is check for a leak now!!!

Yes, please insist your doctor check the band out! They might need to do a EGD, to make sure the band is in the propper place!

Keep a food journal of EVERTHING you put in your mouth, take it with you on your next dr. visit!

I'm sorry for your frustration - but dont jump!

Leaks aren't always visible on flouro; a friend of mine keeps losing fill within a week, although no leak is visible.

Your band may be too loose/big and they may have put in the wrong size.

Definately go for more tests.

Does your fill doctor remove your previous fill? Is the amount that he removes correct? I had a fill yesterday.. my previous fill was 2cc, the doc removed 2 ccs yesterday and put in 2.5. Could your tubing have a leak?

Definitely have everything checked and count calories. Do you get enough solid Protein in a day(chicken, turkey, pork, fish, lean beef, eggs, beans)? Shoot for at least 60 grams. Make sure that you arent eating food that just slides right through (ice cream, crunchy stuff, shakes, Soups, etc) Good Luck! I haop that you figure it out!