Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Deciding Moment

Today is my 1 year anniversary of my "deciding moment" or "when I hit rock bottom" .

One year ago today I had to go to a wedding. I went out and bought a new outfit, told(lied) myself that I looked good before I went, and had a pretty good time..........that is until the next day when I downloaded the pics. OMG!!!!! I was devasteded, mortified, depressed, shocked, sick and KNEW THAT MOMENT enough was enough. I had already done some research on Dr. C. but wasnt convinced "I" needed the lapband, until that very moment. I booked my consult right away and the rest is history. I thought I would share that "Holy Crap" moment today, and would love to here others 'deciding moment', too.

post-204951-13813134906735_thumb.jpg post-204951-13813134906855_thumb.jpg

If you look at the picture on the right you can see my big gut hanging out, Ugh!!

------------------------------------------

Okay Mandi, your right it's kinda depressing. So I added two new pics. There not my favourite(crappy outfit, bad make-up)but I touched them up a bit. I don't want this thread to be MY before and afters though. I want to hear (and see hopefully) everyones deciding moments!!!

post-208795-13813134906976_thumb.jpg post-208795-1381313490711_thumb.jpg

post-206224-13813134637422_thumb.jpg

post-206224-13813134637588_thumb.jpg

post-206224-13813134637767_thumb.jpg

post-206224-13813134637946_thumb.jpg

i know what you mean,i have to wear a suit and tie for work everyday and just get more and more disgusted when i look in the mirror before leaving for work,i am getting banded tomorrow feb,12 and i am so nervous!!!,,,,,,Bobby

Boy I know what you mean. At my son's wedding we had to do the mother/son dance. My dress was a straight dress, but watching the video later it looked like I had a belt on because the fat was hanging from my back to my hindend!

That's got to be the worse feeling in the world - when you felt great but later look at the pics and want to slit your wrists. Its happened probably to all of us so many times.

I found it got better almost immediately though - I'd see a pic of me and yes, still a bit to lose but looking SO much better and I dont cringe at all when I see pics of me now.

Wow... I think you need to post a couple of current pics in the thread with these ones. You don't need to take new ones, just the most recent... lets see!!

The AHA momment is priceless, I know I never realized how big I was until I saw pictures of myself... the mirror lied and told me that I looked good, the camera told me the truth.

Remember how you felt then and how you feel now and you will never go backwards only forwards in leaps and bounds

Oh Cloe I know how you feel just so well. My moment came from pictures as well. I am not stupid I knew I was overweight and I knew that I was a larger girl but for some reason I never quite saw myself as what the pictures showed. After looking at pictures of mine from a vaccation (OMG pictures in a bathing suit :omg: ) it just hit me "wow do I really look like that?" and I knew I had to make some serious changes.

Congrats Cloe cause you took the situation in stride and did what was best for you. You are doing so well at not just the weight loss but keeping motivated and keeping others motivated. I enjoy reading your posts along with others keep up the amazing work. You're doing great! :clap2:

Wow Cloe, you look so good !

It is funny facing the mirror, life does not look too bad, but then you see the pictures and realize this is what everyone is seeing We all have our pictures like this.

Amen Sisters and Brothers! Mine came when I saw members of my family younger than me well on their way to obesityland. Time to swing into action and take control of this lifelong BS (Beef Situation). My daughter has done the lapband too and is as delighted and excited as I am. Going through this together really makes us determined. Let the good times roll!

Cloe this thread is a great idea! My rock bottom came last Halloween weekend. My friend and I had a campus wide Haunted House. We were Zombies. I mean really scary Zombies with lots of movie makeup, corn Syrup blood, on us and the walls (and floor) strobe lights and an industrial basement. At our after party we took pictures sitting around. I looked like the most well fed Zombie ever. I literally looked like I was smothered in my own fat. I was disgusted. It was that weekend that I decided to research WLS.

Im not banded yet but I will be by summer. For the last 2 years Ive been a Dominatrix on Halloween but I cant wait till this one Im gonna be hot!

I think for me it was when I came home from the Dr. to get my blood pressure meds increased again (I am only 32). My wife & I had a pretty serious heart to heart, and she asked me to do something for her and our 6 month old son.

I knew from my past failures that I needed more than the latest Dr. So-And-So diet, and that my Dr. had already reccomended to me that I be refered for WLS.

I also decided that I could not wait another 5 years for it to happen because I did not want to miss important things in my sons life like bike rides, swimming and general good times. I had to do a self pay and get going on this.

For so many years I was defiant and told myself that I have never let my weight hold me back from anything, but really it was my weight that was holding me back. Missed promotions, being tired most of the time, focussing on where I was going to get my next meal and depression were all things that I had dealt with as a result of my weight.

Andrew

Mine came when I was boarding a plane and realized that I had become that fat person that nobody wants to make eye contact with -- for fear that they would be stuck with me hanging over their 'airspace' for the next several hours.

I remember seeking out the seat between two very thin, young things because I figured that they did not take up their entire seats so maybe we could all fit in the row. The girls werre extremely gracious, but I sat sucking it in and with my arms as tight to my body as possible so that I didn't hang over the armrests any more than need be.

Hi All,

I think my defining moment was when my son couldn't wrap his arms around me - and said I was "fat". In his defense he's only 8 and while studying health this term they have talked about exercising and healthy eating (he is a thin and healthy child). I had made many excuses that it was my diabetes and the medication but honestly it was the unhealthy Snacks. I feel so much better now that I have lost equivalent to my son's weight. It is fun shopping in "normal" stores. It has been rough changing my eating habits and when the "head hunger" strikes it hits hard. I've learned to distract myself but I do know that this will be a life long battle but with the band as a wonderful tool, I know I can maintain it. I'm so close I can taste it.

I know everyone's journey has ups and downs and I pray that you will be slimmer in the weeks ahead and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Have a great week.