Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping surgery a secret

I'm wondering if any of you have kept your surgery a secret. Obviously my husband, best friend, and immediate family know, but I am not sure yet wether I want others to know. I've seen so much negativity from people about other people I know that have had surgery that I'm not sure if I want to put myself through it. On the other hand, if I keep it a secret, will that make people angry or make me look like a liar? Im So conflicted!

I totally understand and just went through this. I who I knew would support me plus my work team and they have been great. Now, others in our family well my husbands family have picked on people who have done this but it's because those individuals did it incorrectly so they disapproved of that. This, we opted not to tell anyone outside who really needed to know.

Guess what, we got the call last night from some of his family members who were upset we didn't tell them I was having surgery, they didn't care what for just the fact we didn't tell them. So the apologies started but I simple stated that I didn't want anyone to worry. They asked if I had my tumor removed but I can't have that done until I lost significant weight. Started the day of surgery, 1-23-13 at 280 and I am 5 ft 1 inch but now I am down to 263 so doing well. So I ended up explaining the reason for the WLS to them and the reason I didn't tell anyone was the fact of worry.

Regardless, it's no ones business what you do for yourself. Just think of how you would explain to someone that cares about you, especially seeing you will be changing everything about yourself.

Now we go to parties with my husbands family and they are all big drinkers and eaters, but they have never pressured me on NO when I say it like some of the other wives so I feel good that I didn't tell them before surgery until I got the car from my husbands favorite uncle/aunt and cousin. And believe me there are a ton of them in our area.

I wish you the best of luck. I worry about going back to work, but I am very strong person and will tell who ever makes snide comments to keep them to themselves.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel the same way about not wanting to tell everyone until overseen significant results. I think the thing I am most afraid of is people saying I took the easy way out. My cousin just lost 100 lb without Wls so I'm afraid I will constantly be compare to her.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel the same way about not wanting to tell everyone until overseen significant results. I think the thing I am most afraid of is people saying I took the easy way out. My cousin just lost 100 lb without Wls so I'm afraid I will constantly be compare to her.

I am not telling anyone outside of family. I had a family member tell me yesterday that it's not fair that I eat corn curls and then get to have'em sucked out with surgery and she has to exercise to get rid of the pounds. My family says that I am taking the easy way out. I have def been getting attacked. The less people know the better.

People are so insensitive. Thanks for helping me Decide to keep it to myself. Lol