Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't know where to begin.

Hi everyone,

It's taken me a week to post this, I'm not really sure where to begin.

Ok,

I'm called Dave and I'm 32 years old. I weigh 16 and a half stone. I've gone from 16 stone to 12 stone and back three times in the past 8 years and I've had enough. I've done a little research and decided that the Lap Band could be the answer to getting my life back on track.

I've read loads of stuff on on different sites, but was hoping to speak to some people who had actually had a band fitted. Are there any other blokes on this site who have had a band fitted?

I have loads of questions to ask, but will start of with just one.

Can someone pleas explain to me how my eating habits will change after the op. Whats all this about mush and smoothies and Clear liquids?

So sorry to bother you with questions I'm sure have been asked before.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is really strange how your eating habits change once you are banded. I was a big overeater before I was banded. I did not have quitting sense when it came to eating. I was miserable after eating almost everytime I ate.

After being banded I could not eat as much as before. Even with no fill in the band would not allow me to overeat. And I do not get the hunger sensation like before either. Do I still get hungry? Not anything like before. There is a commercial here in the States that says the band tames the hungry lion and it really does. I do not get ravenous like before my surgery.

I do still battle eating fast and taking to large of bites. Major no no!!! Before my first fill and could still take large bites but I am now on my second fill and will go on Monday for my third fill. The second fill made a big change. (Each fill was 1cc and I have a 4cc band). So if you do not chew your food enough, eat to fast or take big bites the band will definitely let you know. It is kinda painful and sometimes I "PB" the food back up which is not good either.

Now, if you are a junk food junkie then of course the band will not change that habit! But I was self pay and I did not want to put all that money into something and not make some kind of commitment to the band. It is a tool that you have to use wisely. You can still cheat or eat around the band.

No bother with any questions. I am by no means an expert though. I am only 3 months banded. So I am still learning as I go. But I have lost 30 pounds so far! It has been great!!!

Hi Dave--I don't know if I qualify as a "bloke", but I will try to answer some of your questions. The main thing that will change is the amount of food that you will be able to eat at one time. The whole idea behind the band is that it creates a small pouch at the top of your stomach, that ideally will only hold 2-4 ounces of food at a time. so, you feel full after eating much smaller portions, and the food stays in that small pouch and slowly digests over about 4-5 hours, so you are not tempted to eat in between meals. I say ideally, because the band will stretch over time, and you will have to go in and get a "fill". That is when they fill your band up with a saline solution to make it tighter, so that you can eat less again. For the first few weeks after surgery, you will be restricted to liquids, because solid food is very difficult to pass through the band at first, and if forced, your band can stretch before it is supposed to. You have to give yourself time to heal, and for the band to really adhere to your stomach lining, and if you eat too much solid food too soon, you can really cause problems. After the liquid phase, you will move on to "mushies". Soft things like mashed potatoes, cream Soups, scrambled eggs, or anything you can blend up to a mushy consistency. It's just a gradual process you must follow before trying solid foods. I was lucky, and never had any problems with any foods I've tried, but some people do have problems with certain foods, like bread, Pasta, meats. It's pretty much just a trial and error thing. You have to remember, though, that the band is just a tool, and not a miracle cure. It is still important to make wise food choices, considering the fact that you can only eat a small amount of food, so shouldn't it be good, healthy food? And the weight will come off quicker if you are making smart choices. Although, some people still eat the same foods they always have, just in much smaller quantities. The bottom line is, the band helps you to not eat as much, and if you do eat too much, you will throw it up--plain and simple. Personally, this is the best decision I have ever made, and I wouldn't change a thing. I hope I have answered some of your questions, and good luck with your decision.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for such a quick, detailed response. I live in London - UK and I so far the Lap Band has not been advertised on mainstream television.

I too will be paying for the lap band myself. I can honestly say that I'm sure I can fit into whatever regime and rules are required after the band is fitted. Problem is, I don't know what they are. What are the guidlines regarding eating and drinking after the band has been fitted?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Every doctor has his or her own regimen, and I'm sure you'll get instructions from yours as the surgery approaches. Immediately post-operatively, you'll be told to stay on liquids for some length of time (usually somewhere between three days and three weeks), followed by soft foods or "mushies" for another few days or weeks. This period of avoiding solid food is very important for healing purposes; the less your stomach has to work while it's healing, the better chance your band has to stay where it's put in the long run.

Once you're all healed up from surgery, there is no specific eating plan. Recommendations are like those of any weight-loss regimen: eat high-protein, low-fat foods in small portions. The difference with the band is that this diet will actually be satisfying, once you get used to the way it feels to eat as a bandster.

It won't happen overnight, but if you allow it to teach you what "enough" feels like, you'll be able to eat much less than you're used to doing and still be satisfied. And you'll lose weight!

Hey Connie,

I'm guessing you are not a bloke, but you have answered in a way that I can understand. In fact, your post has explained more that about two weeks of net browsing has achieved!

Ok, here is another question. What is slippage?

Gday Dave I am also not a bloke, but I am an Aussie so I know what you mean by the word!:biggrin1: If you check out the main Genaral Chat board there is a thread for only guys to post in. I am sure you could get lots of info and support from other men there who have been banded. It is called ''For us guys only" Susannah

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your responses so far. I do have some more questions though.

I currently live in London UK but am considering getting my band fitted in Belgium using this company.

http://www.direct-healthcare.com/gastric-lap-banding.htm

The doctor who would carry out the procedure is Dr. Bruno Dillemans.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this company or with this Doctor?

I was also wondering what the general recovery time is. How quickly could I get back to work?

Thanks very much.

Dave

Hi Dave!

It took me a good week before I was really able to resume normal functioning. But then,,I'm sure it's an individual thing.I was banded Jan 29th, 2007 via laproscope. It depends on the type work you do and what when your doctor says you can return to work. ALso,,I was a self pay, so I'm very conscience to do just what my doctor instructs! THis site has been invaluable to me,,,I too looked the web over and this is BY FAR the best site to get honest information not to mention the commradship! Kep coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland

CMMC-Jackson MS

BMI presurg-61

presurg wt 330

today wt--300

Typically Clear Liquids and mushies discussion is post op information. YOu have to be on a select diet the first month or so after surgery moving to solid foods a bit later. Some doctors also have preop diets. Mine didn't though. Good luck.

Hi Dave---I am not a bloke either---but will pipe up anyway!!

Slippage is when the band moves, and allows part of the lower portion of stomach to come up through the band. Often times a complete unfill, and a return to liquids fo a period of time can fix it, othertimes it has to be surgically repaired.

I'm not sure how much of this you already know so will just go with it, and you can ignore what you don't need!

When they place the band, it goes in flat, and they wrap it around the stomach, and "snap" it into place to form a ring, separating off a small pouch at the upper part of your stomach. They then bring up the large bottom part of the stomach and stitch it over the placed band, holding the band in place. When you go home from the surgery you are put onto liquids so that the stomach does not have to digest. When it digests and works to pass food, it makes a kneading motion, and that puts undue stress on the stitches holding it in place. Once it is figured to be healed, you will be moved on to mushies. This allows the stomach to begin working, but only with food that passes easily, and fairly quickly--so there is not a lot of work for the stomach, nor a lot of weight in it at any one time. If all goes well with mushies, then slowly regular foods can be introduced. Some peoples stomachs react to the change by swelling, if so, you just go back to a soft diet, give it a bit more time, and try again.

The nerves in the stomach that signal fullness are at the top of the stomach. Before we are banded we have to eat A LOT of food to reach them---but we have all done it---you know how you feel miserably full after a holiday meal for instance. With the band in place, and with it adjusted (filled) properly, your food is up high in the stomach, and you reach those nerves quickly! If you ignore them, then food begins to overload your stomach, and the only place for it to go is on up into the esophagus---which hurts, and leads to vomiting usually---referred to here as a PB (productive burp). It differs from vomitting in the fact that there is no stomach acids involved, just lots of mucus (slime) and the offending food. If you continue to overeat, and not learn the full signals you risk dilation---stretching of your pouch. PB's are not pleasant---so it is aversion therapy, you learn you do not want to do that! Sliming is usually a predessessor to a PB, the body tries to help move the food through so it goes into overdrive producing thick mucus to "help" slide the food through. BUT with the band in place and us full of food there is nowhere for the copius amounts of mucus to go....so spitting is about your only option, to attempt to swallow it all leads most of us to PB. The only way to describe slime...is VERY thick, VERy gooey saliva...tasteless (thank God!).

For some people they have restriction immediately following surgery---for others it takes several adjustments/fills to reach a good level of restriction. Personally I have had 2, and feel like I am in a good spot now, have been for over 7 months. I eat small meals, and remain full for several hours.

One of the BIG band rules is no drinking with our meals ( I thought this was going to be much harder than it actually was). If you drink, you liquify your food, and it passes too quickly eliminating the work of the band. In my case, if I drink it also causes my food to "float" back up into my esophagus....and hello PB!!

Other than that, we take very small bites, and chew it into oblivion!While I no longer do what I consider to be a diet--I do take into consideration what I am eating. I have not felt real hunger in over 7 months---but I feel an empty sensation--hard to describe. I can only fit a small amount of food in, and yet I am fully aware that my body needs proper nutrition to survive and maintain health. So with that in mind, I try to eat the most nutrient packed part of my meal as the biggest portion, and then the remainder...carbs for instance in smaller amounts, just enough to compliment the meal.

Surgery was a breeze for me, it was far less traumatic than a root canal I had done not long ago! I would recommend it to anyone--if my own Mother or Daughter needed it done I would do all in my power to help them get it!

Hang out, continue to ask questions---this is a great site!!! We are glad you have you here!

Kat