Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Well, I am 52 hours post op, and am barely coming around. Terri and Tracy thanks for the props...this has been harder than I thought. I think Sara and I posted that "if we would've known how much pain this was, we might've reconsidered!" That was yesterday, today I am glad it is over and I know it is worth it. I am still in a lot of pain. I am jealous of those of you out at Walmart, etc. This was my first surgery ever and I've never had kids, so I am pretty much a baby when it comes to pain. I was fine in the preop room and as soon as they started rolling me, I started balling...I meaning sobbing...just sooooo scared. I remember the nurse saying you just had your first shot that will feel like a cocktail, then the next thing was recovery. I slept most of the first day, was glad I stayed in hospital, but am so glad to be home. I spent last night in the recliner because I didn't want to bother partner getting up and walking, and moaning (did I mention this really hurts).

On a side note, I SUGGEST PEOPLE FOLLOW THE HINT ABOUT BUYING THE TOILET TONGS FOR POST OP. I CAN'T REACH! I know, TMI, but liquids in and liquids out, and reaching is important. Actually as the day goes on, I am getting a little better.

There is so much more I will post. I am proud of all of us...those who are done and all our April bros/sisters still pending. I can't wait to see what our thread looks like in May or June, when we start posted on our weight loss!

peaceout

Hi Pamela....its great to hear that you are doing well. I definintly have the tongs on my shopping list...hubby said he'd help but just in case he's not around lol lol lol lol

My surgeon said 36-48 hours is how long ill be at the hospital! At least that is what I thought he said!!! Im gonna call right now..LOL

that is what I was told too.

Jay -

OMG I was dying here, that is so me on the meds they give you - I had surgery before...LOL

PAM Im so pleased your feeling better, every day you'll feel better and better!! :) I did laugh about the toliet tongs...I do know what u mean though, although by day 3-4 you should be ok.

Laura if you can find a 'house dress hon' buy it! Im still in a nightie, Im kind of hesitant to put any thing tight around me.

Dave GOOD LUCK TODAY! Let us know how your doing ok!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BRING ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I skipped on the tongs, I thought about it, and I'm not coordinated enough to use tongs to wipe?? I have wet wipes, so hopefully I can manage..

I made it!

Hi everybody I made it through my surgery yesterday morning. As most of you know I was terrified of the actual surgey part. In fact once I got my drugs & they were rolling me into surgery I was asking everyone to make sure I lived through the surgery b/c I have a baby daughter at home. LOL! Then when I was waking up out of anastesia I heard one of the nurses say she was the one afraid of dying. Ha! Anyway, I went in at 7am and was home by 1pm. Like Terri's post above surgery day was much tougher than I thought. Even after all my research here are the things that came as a surprize to me. I thought I would share with all of you that haven't gone in yet:

#1 - When I woke up I was in a lot of pain (stomach area). I also had difficulty taking deep breaths for about an hour which was kind of a scarry feeling.

#2 - The medice they give you for pain and nasea makes you very sleepy.

#3 - Drinking that bottle of Water was the pits and resulted in a lot of vomiting for me. In fact, I never finished the bottle but thank goodness they let me go anyway.

#4 - Have those sugar free popscicles ready b/c they really help with the throat pain.

Here is the GREAT news. Less that 24 hours later I am feeling great! The only pain now is a tolerable pressure in my mid-section and my throat hurts a little. Besides that I am feeling really good. I am even making it up and down the stairs of my house with ease. Yesterday I was thinking what have I done? But today I am soooo glad I went through with it.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers, thoughts and support. I will be praying for all the April bansters this month. :clap2:

Congratulations ShineOn! Aren't you glad that you are on the other side of the surgery! Thanks for your posting, I'm getting really nervous about my upcoming band. Hang in there.

that is what I was told too.

Jay -

OMG I was dying here, that is so me on the meds they give you - I had surgery before...LOL

I was making a fool of my self. Laughing at everything, telling them that I was feeling soooooooooooo gooooooood:p "please giveme some more of that, that's gooooood" Oh well, hopefully they have seen worst cases, lol.

JULLEE71 forget about the jeans, a long nightgown is the way to go or those big house dresses (the moomoo), lol. Trust me, you don't want to wear anything after surgery.:)

I just took a nap, I'm feeling better and better, I can't beleive that my surgery was yesterday. Good luck to those having surgery today and tomorrow.

Thank you guys for sharing, glad everything was uneventful!

And NOOOO there is NEVER TMI!!!!! Those of us anxiously (are we there yet?!) waiting for the surgery want EVERY gorey detail, so we know all the things to possibly expect!

I am surprised, I guess, by everyone saying how much pain they were in that they didn't realize. I've never had major surgery. I had tonsilectomy/uvula-ectomy when I was a kid and I was eating veal the night I got home (see, I love my food) LOL

I don't remember pain from it, or have any significant things to compare it to. One thing I worry about is my chronic back pain. Laying in hospital beds, really flares the nerves. When I had a metabolic breathing test, and the sonogram at my first meetings, the little bed they had me lay on, I started to get into blinding pain from the akward position. When I do get my back shots, they put me under and when I wake up, the position they have me in is also excruciating, and they will give me a shot of demerol while I adjust to a comfortable position. I hope these doctors are as considerate, so I don't have to worry about the pain from my flared up nerves. I'm honestly more scared about my back pain than my stomach pain. I have a pretty high threshold for pain due to my back problems, so I'm fairly confident right now--I know, when I log in the day after my surgery I'll probably be a big ol' baby :)

About pain meds, I hear people mention getting their liquid form of pain meds before the operation, I know my doctor gives them, should I be asking for the Rx ahead of time so I can make sure my pharmacy has it, or will they take care of it..do they know to give it early so we can check on it? I guess I will ask at my pre-op, which is 5 days before surgery but I want to make sure that's enough time.

Congrats on you new bandsters, I can NOT wait to join you!! Keep walking, and drinking :)

---

Just wanted to add, my surgery hospital stay is 23 hours lapriscopically. I check in 5:30am on Monday morning, and I am to go home 4:30am on Tuesday (My poor family, which is turning into a caravan.. my fiance and mom were going.. then my dad.. and now my g'ma) He said after the surgery they will do some test with an x-ray, I guess to make sure it's placed right.

They said if they can't do it laproscopically (i'm dieting like a mad woman so I can have it laproscopically) it is 3-4 days in the hospital.

I had three c-sections, maybe thats why this feels like nothing to me.:nervous

PAMELA - what kind of meds did your doctor give you for pain at home? I've got hydrocodone and it's doing the trick! -- oh, AND I've got 2 refills!!:)

Hey all! This is my first post ever :) My name is Becky and im almost done with this whole process. I am just waiting to get approved by my insurance which hopefully will not take too long. My brother who is doing this with me already was approved by his insurance yesterday and already has his surgery date for May 3, 2007. I am jealous but my dietician appointments were spanned out farther than his were. I am definately not patient so I am hoping this will go fast for me too. Is there a May 2007 banster thread? I hope its ok if i post here :) Can't wait to hear from all of you!

Becky

OMG Terri...hiccups seem as though they would be soooooooooo painful!!!!!!

QUESTION: WHAT DO WE WEAR AFTER SURGERY...WILL JEANS BE TOO UNCOMFORTABLE..?? KIND OF A DUMB QUESTION I KNOW BUT I LOOOOOOOOOVE MY JEANS..LOL

I'd definetely suggest sweats or a track suit, something ultra comphy b/c you don't want anything pushing on your incisions. Also you can come home and crash in whatever you are wearing. If you are anything like me you will barely be able to keep your eyes open. Good luck!

PAMELA - what kind of meds did your doctor give you for pain at home? I've got hydrocodone and it's doing the trick! -- oh, AND I've got 2 refills!!:)

Lucky you I got zero refills. :cry

HOLY CRAP..... that hamburger helper smells so damn good!!!! LOL

but I am being good.. and have been good all week on my pre-op... I will just hold my nose and go to the kitchen.. oh wait... thats were he's cooking ..... maybe I better just chew on this sf popsicle stick a little longer...........:lalala:

Poor Tracy----you are being soooo good!

As for the what to wear question---definitely go with the comfy pants, and skip the jeans. I wore some french terry pants and a loose jersey knit top to fly home in. Also skip the underwire bra---wear one of your old, broke in, washed til soft ones! Dig out the granny panties...loose is the key! And like has been said, slip on shoes. One you will not feel like bending to tie them, and 2, if you are flying, they have to be removed to go through the checks.

It was suggested to me not to even wear a bra---what a joke!!! I would have bounced and jiggled so much rushing through the airport at San Diego, all of California would have thought the big one finally hit!!!!

Kat