Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

wow..home the same day??? They dont keep you ????

Nop! Home the same day, I was at the surgery center like for 4 1/2 hours from the time I went in to the time I was in my car going home.

Are they going to keep you?

My surgeon said 36-48 hours is how long ill be at the hospital! At least that is what I thought he said!!! Im gonna call right now..LOL

Same here, chewable childrens vitamins---chewable Vitamin C, Viactive (or store brand equivalent) chewable Calcium, and sublingual Vitamin B complex. Like Teachlady said, I tend to take my Vitamins, when the snack urge hits, they give me a shot of flavor, and the chewing my body is wanting. And it lets the urge to snack pass! I keep them in a small plastic basket on a shelf in the kitchen, as I take them, I move them in or out of the basket, so I don't forget what I have already done for the day---my memory is going fast!!! They say it is the second thing to go......I already forgot what the first was....

Kat

wow...you've only been banded one day and your sitting up at the computer, thats great!! I hope I can recover quickly! Did you have your gallbladder out? Mine is coming out cuz its got stones in it apparantely.

Nop, no gallbladder issues. If they are going to remove your gallbladder I think it's better for u to stay at least one night at the hospital. I'll keep you in my prayers so you can go as smooth as I did;)

I agree!!!!! I sooo want them to keep me..mot sure why, but its freakin me out a lil....even when I had my kids, I didnt want to leave the hospital...maybe its cuz im the one always takin care of everyone..and at the hospital they all take care of me!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you guys for sharing, glad everything was uneventful!

And NOOOO there is NEVER TMI!!!!! Those of us anxiously (are we there yet?!) waiting for the surgery want EVERY gorey detail, so we know all the things to possibly expect!

I am surprised, I guess, by everyone saying how much pain they were in that they didn't realize. I've never had major surgery. I had tonsilectomy/uvula-ectomy when I was a kid and I was eating veal the night I got home (see, I love my food) LOL

I don't remember pain from it, or have any significant things to compare it to. One thing I worry about is my chronic back pain. Laying in hospital beds, really flares the nerves. When I had a metabolic breathing test, and the sonogram at my first meetings, the little bed they had me lay on, I started to get into blinding pain from the akward position. When I do get my back shots, they put me under and when I wake up, the position they have me in is also excruciating, and they will give me a shot of demerol while I adjust to a comfortable position. I hope these doctors are as considerate, so I don't have to worry about the pain from my flared up nerves. I'm honestly more scared about my back pain than my stomach pain. I have a pretty high threshold for pain due to my back problems, so I'm fairly confident right now--I know, when I log in the day after my surgery I'll probably be a big ol' baby :)

About pain meds, I hear people mention getting their liquid form of pain meds before the operation, I know my doctor gives them, should I be asking for the Rx ahead of time so I can make sure my pharmacy has it, or will they take care of it..do they know to give it early so we can check on it? I guess I will ask at my pre-op, which is 5 days before surgery but I want to make sure that's enough time.

Congrats on you new bandsters, I can NOT wait to join you!! Keep walking, and drinking :)

---

Just wanted to add, my surgery hospital stay is 23 hours lapriscopically. I check in 5:30am on Monday morning, and I am to go home 4:30am on Tuesday (My poor family, which is turning into a caravan.. my fiance and mom were going.. then my dad.. and now my g'ma) He said after the surgery they will do some test with an x-ray, I guess to make sure it's placed right.

They said if they can't do it laproscopically (i'm dieting like a mad woman so I can have it laproscopically) it is 3-4 days in the hospital.

Jullee: My insurance REQUIRES an overnight stay.. 23 hour observation period is what they call it. IF I was self pay, I would been banded in January, as an outpatient at a very nice hotel type doctors hospital.... but I my insurance approved me so I have to go by their guidlines and their in network hospital.........

The hunger is hitting me more today than before.... I'll have a glass of Water and then re evaluate!

This thread is HOPPING!

Hi Folks,

Shineon and Jay, I'm so pleased your ops went ok. Thank you all for your kind posts after. Just to add, I feel soooooo much better today, Im practically back to my old self now :) (well apart from eating!!)

Dunno about all of you guys, but I do keep thinking about food, I mean Im not hungry or anything, but I cant stop thinking about it!! Aaaaaa!!

Re pain meds after surgery Laura: My hsp gave me some, but I also bought some soluable stuff too just incase. Ive been given Berocca effervescent Vitamin and mineral tabs (I start taking them tomorrow).

Good luck to all of those having surgery tomorrow xxxxxxxxxxx

Sara x

Yes I would ask for your Rx prior to going, that way you can have it with you and ready.

This surgery hits everyone differently. I was actually in the hospital for 2 days, which was fine, but I was not in pain, and walked non stop! On the 3rd day I flew home, a 5 hour flight. I also had another 5 hours in the car. I kept busy moving ---worried about possible clots---but I only needed a dose of Tylenol for a headache. I didn't have much pain with the banding surgery at all. Compared to other surgeries I have had, and other procedures---this was cake. I guess that means I was lucky! Hope you all feel well soon, and hope all of you waiting have as good of an experience with it as I did!

Kat

This morning I was thinking that I wish I COULD have stayed in the hospital last night. As it was I was fighting that phenergan (makes you WAY sleepy) so that I could stay awake long enough to get in a wheelchair and get home! It would have been so great just to turn off the lights and go to sleep!! They also made me stay until I got down 32 oz of Water and urinated. It took me FOREVER to urinate....3 tries at 20 minutes each...mostly because I kept falling asleep on the toilet!!!

It's been 40 hours since I had any solid food -- but I am not TOO hungry.

Oh, and these hiccups!! I get 2-3 hiccups after I eat Jello and when I get up from a sitting position. Yeeeoooowww! Hiccups hurt!

Tracy: Which insurance do you have? I have Blue Cross. I think the fact that im getting my gall bladder out as well will require me to stay a day or so. Oh well, guess ill have to deal with whatever they decide for me. Are you doing the liquid diet Tracy?