Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Jenn, I hope all works out well soon!!! I am sure it is very frustrating and upsetting. Health insurance is a scary thing and not having it is even scarier!!! Hang in there with a big hug!!!

Tracy! Wow, going to DQ and not getting anything, you are my hero today!!!

Jane

Interesting...

Does drinking ice Water burn calories?

For anyone trying to lose weight, this question is an exciting one! If you simply want to know if your body burns calories warming up the water, the answer is yes. But if you want to know if drinking a lot of ice water can help you lose weight, or keep weight off, this "yes" needs to be qualified with some calculations.

First of all, calories are case-sensitive. There are calories and then there are Calories. Calories with a big "c" are the ones used to describe the amount of energy contained in foods. A calorie with a little "c" is defined as the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

What most people think of as a Calorie is actually a kilo-calorie: It takes one Calorie to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius. So when you drink a 140-Calorie can of cola, you are ingesting 140,000 calories. There is no cause for alarm, because the conversion applies across the board. When you burn 100 Calories jogging a mile, you are burning 100,000 calories.

So, considering that the definition of a calorie is based on raising the temperature of water, it is safe to say that your body burns calories when it has to raise the temperature of ice water to your body temperature. And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water. So calories are being burned.

Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:

• The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
  • Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
  • It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
  • There are 473.18 grams in 16 Fluid ounces of water.

So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant. But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

I always drink room temperature water because I can get it down faster. I'm going to start drinking ice water now!

Jennifer (HUGS)

Chica- Interesting read, my brain was trying to do conversions at a loss, so had to skip to the conclusion lol.

I can't drink any cold cold drinks, it hurts my teeth! I've always ordered drinks with 'no ice' since I was a kid.

All my drinks are at room temperature, so I guess I'll have to rely on exercise to burn calories!

Chica-That is good to know...thanks!

Janie-lol, its always good to be a hero :girl_hug:

Jennifur-I hope your day is getting better & better!!

I was so mad at MYSELF because I wasted a whole month of not loosing...not a pound! But I have lost inches, so I will take that.

My Dr. ..Dr. Richard Carter in Arlington just smiled and said that he thought it best sometimes to let *me/patient* figure it out for themselves. A hard lesson but I won't second guess him again.

I'm still very hungry and can eat a lot more and then it just *pinged* into my brain that someone said it takes a day or two for the fill to kick in?

Anyone have that?

Anyway..I'm ready to go again on the loosing side. The Dr. said this one might be my sweet spot or the next..he didn't think it would take anymore. I got 1/2 cc this time making 2.5 cc in a 4 cc band.

Thanks for the support.

Hi girls-

Another exhausting day! This vacation of Rick's may kill me!!! Today we hauled wood. I figure about 2 cords. I'm telling you, I am not in as good of shape as I had hoped to be---these chores are getting the best of me. Tomorrow we will finish our cement---then the next day it is back to the wood. Sometime in this we have to mow the lawn, and deal with a calf---we have to take a ring out of his nose, he will not learn his lesson, so he is in being fattened up---which was not my choice--but my FIL, thinks it is something we should do, and he is willing to pay for the processing. I still won't eat it. This farm girl does not eat what she meets! Go pick one anonymously, or buy one from a 4H kid, but not one I have dealt with!!! The last one they give us that way, we gave the meat to a guy DH works with who was upon hard times. As well as sharing with the kids.

DH is sitting here eating ice cream....tempting me....aarrggh!!!

Think I will walk out and Water the things on the patio, and his tomatoes....get me up and doing something!

Will check in later, or tomorrow sometime, it is going to be an EARLY night tonight!

Jenn---hugs to you---those troubles are never easy when the heart is involved. Will add that to your prayers for the right job for you!!!

Kat

Kat

I'm still very hungry and can eat a lot more and then it just *pinged* into my brain that someone said it takes a day or two for the fill to kick in?

Anyone have that?

The rest of ya'll can just move on to the next post; you've heard me say this 10x at least already.

Yes, HH, my fills result in getting progressively tighter for about 10 days and then i level off. Now this could be for a couple of reasons. Let's say it's day 3, and i'm tighter than I was on day 2...but I'm eating the same things I did on day 2....but now I'm tighter and get stuck. This irritates my band, which makes day 4 even worse. So I think I'm going easy with my foods but now my stoma is irritated and the things I could eat on day 3, now I cannot eat....and I certainly can't eat the stuff I ate on day 2! So it gets to be kind of a vicious cycle as you're getting used to your new restriction. By day 8 or 9 I could barely eat anything (except for ice cream, gosh darnit). I am now prepared for my next fill (I think) and as I progress to solid foods I am going to go very very slowly, chew my food very well and pay attention!! If I get the slightest bit stuck I WILL STOP EATING....and go find something mushy or liquid to eat. The next day I will stay on mushies and liquids. Then the following day I will try solids again....going very very slowly. Make sense? Just do yourself a favor and follow the bandster rules to a T for the next 2 weeks and you'll probably be just fine.

Good luck and Happy Losing!

Kat - (and the rest of you who exercise) Have you ever heard of the supplement L-Glutamine? It does wonders for helping with muscle recovery... people like you and Rick should keep a supply in your pantry!! You need to take 10 grams after a workout like today and that's a lot of pills. But if you buy it in a loose powder form it really works best and you can mix it into any drink...even Water. It is virtually tasteless. I highly recommend it. As an added bonus, it's very good for the digestive system...especially for people who take anti-inflammatory medication (like for arthritis) or who have ulcers.

Ahhhhhhhhhh I've been sooooo busy with work and everything else that I haven't had much time to prepare my meals. I'm usually SO good about planning my meals for the day so that I don't stray off course and up until now it's really worked for me...however it's been crazy crazy at work and I'm working late, so by the time I get home I just munch on whatever everyone else ate for dinner.< /p>

Yes, I'm disgusted - I gained 1.5 lbs this week. Ok back on track Denise...and Terri, I haven't had TIME to exercise, so no, I haven't forgotten to update my exercise challenge goal :(

I'm a bad bandster right now...and I shouldn't have cancelled that fill because now I feel like I can eat as much as I want...maybe not ANYTHING that I want, but too darn much of it! I'm rescheduled for the 28th...

Any ideas for a good exercise for someone SO short on time? I don't get home until about 8pm (this is hopefully temporary) and I'm out of my house by 7am....any ideas? I'm BEAT when I get home...:confused:

Hi gals

- you all all awesome. I think that I am just at my wits end with everything and one little thing can just set me over the edge. Job market sucks, only offers are $10/hr. I was making $17 with bonus of 10-15k/yr on top of that... see the problem???? I'm burried in bills, I am going to have to give my bike back because I just can't afford it. I deal with dbf every day, and honestly, I knew he was going to be a grandfather... it was just the 1 thing that pushed me over the edge and I completely freaked. I feel like I can't get a job because I am a fat ass and a woman... 2 things against me... yes, i feel so much better about me but strangers just look at me as being fat, they don't know that I've lost 60lbs and how great I feel. It is all so depressing, and every day my mom tells me I can't work nights, how bad it is for me and everyone around me.... HELLO/////////I know this..... but I am doing all I can to get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN that is not good enough, I'm not looking in the right places, i'm not doing this or that.... oh I've done it all and still do it all. now I don't have any stinking health insurance and don't know what to do.

and we wonder why I'm a basket case/?????????

on a happy note, I don't have a clue how many cals I'm eating but I didn't gain an oz yesterday, i had 2 small salads today, 1 w/grilled chicken and the 2nd with chicken salad. yogurt with fiberone Cereal in it and sun chips and a serving of 2% cheese melted on top. I'm still not eating that much which is good since my appt was cancelled today.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... I just want to call in one thing to start making things better in my new life.

Morning Al :confused:

Adorable, I'm in the same boat as you re working hours, plus I normally have to stay away from home 2 nights a week, but I havent since Dave had his accident. I have a treadmill at home (& an elliptical & a rower & free weights and a large ball you sit on in my office) I bought the treadmill secondhand some years ago, its that that I mainly use to be honest and the ball and free weights. I try and do 40mins on the treadmill now per night, I sort of gave up on it a while back, but since I had my fill and got a restriction its motivated me. So every night, whatever time it is I do that, its sort of relaxing, then have a bath afterwards and bed. Although last night I must have had some sort of energy rush, I felt invinceable with energy, lol! Thats what Id recommend though a treadmill, free weights and an exercise ball at home, I know you'll be knackard after work, but it actually gives you more energy, it'll take about 5-6 sessions before you feel the benefits and start to enjoy it.

Jennifur, I used to work nights for 6 years when my kids were small nursing, your body does get into a routein with it, ust dont deprive yourself sleep, exercise will definately help you. And your NOT fat, youve lost loads of weight, your beautiful....remember that! & excuse the expression....but sod those people you give you rude looks, I had that yesterday, and I thought sod em, and just thought they were ignorant, so strut your stuff....show the world who you are....

Well, better get ready for work,

Loves ya all,

Sara xxxxxxx

P.S Im going to drink lots of ice Water now too :(

Good morning Violets!!

I see you michelle!! Helloooo!!

I hope you all have a great day. And remember WWJD?!

morning all

Sara - thank you. This is just such a trying time in my life, it is all suppose to be good. I am healthier, looking better, loosing weight... yet can't get a job, and took a huge huge huge pay cut. I try so hard to stay positive but sometimes it feels like the world is crashing around me. I do have my 2 beautiful children - albe to keep my house. I do have lots of blessings, I just want things to be better for us.

Well, today is Walmart grocery shopping day with my aunt, that is always an adventure. I really do need the money but......... I am glad I have thursday off.

Jenn, what happened with the bank job?

9.75/hr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes the benefits would be great, but it would be 1 day 3-11 and could be anytime between 7-5 - if the pay was better I would say it is worth it, but why leave something i'm getting $10/ for something that is not any better?