Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Good morning all you lovely Violets.. It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood.. I'm setting out clothes for a garage sale and boy does it feel good to price those puppies and say... I'm never going to wear them again!! They are all good quality clothes.. some never even worn so I hope I get some good prices on them cause I need the money for clothes shopping. It's a vicious circle, isn't it!!!

For those considering liposuction.. as Terry says.. be VERY careful. There is a new procedure out now that is an injection rather than a suction. It dissolves the fat cells. My daughter was telling me about it. Her DH is a Physician's assistant and one of the people he graduated with does the procedure. I might even consider it when I get to goal. But at my age, who the heck cares if I have an apron as long as I can fit into regular sized clothes! Not like I'm going to be wearing a bikini ever in my life. At least not out in public. Might be nice for the backyard pool.. ;)

Yes, I watched Big Medicine last night. The lady sure didn't get a lot of support from her bf, did she?? But glad they showed the surgery.... DH kept saying.. that was us.. that was us!!

Lunasa.. glad the meds are kickingin for you. It will take at least 6 weeks before the full effect is felt. But sounds like they are making a difference already.

TracyK.. I take a Water pill once a week. It really makes a difference for me. Plus I take a laxative every 3 or 4 days. The Fiber sure works to keep things soft, but I guess I need that extra "push". I know, I know TMI!!!

Back to sorting and pricing those big clothes. Everyone have a great day and remember to follow those bandster rules. Though I don't know why coffee is banned for some!! DH has had it since day one after his surgery with no problems.

Hi Judy!

Can you outline the rules/basics you follow -- I think I need a refresher course -- from someone who is as successful as you!!!!!! My hero.

Thanks!

Gina

The rules for me are pretty simple, really. Eat three meals a day of no more than one to one and a half cups of food. Make wise food choices, heavy on the Protein. No eating between meals, except for my evening snack which is usually lo fat pudding with sugar free whipped cream.. yums. One Multi-Vitamin a day plus one Calcium chew. 64 oz of Water daily and 30 min. of exercise at least 5X a week. And I think I'm more anal than hero!! lol

The rules for me are pretty simple, really. Eat three meals a day of no more than one to one and a half cups of food. Make wise food choices, heavy on the Protein. No eating between meals, except for my evening snack which is usually lo fat pudding with sugar free whipped cream.. yums. One Multi-Vitamin a day plus one Calcium chew. 64 oz of Water daily and 30 min. of exercise at least 5X a week. And I think I'm more anal than hero!! lol

Why does this sound soooooooo familiar??? Oh, WAIT!!! I know, I know!!!! It's the OFFICIAL BANDSTER RULES!!!!

Wow -- y'think that's why you're successful??? ;)

Oh Jenn -- I also meant to ask.... your doctor/group says no coffee, alcohol or soda for a year??? I never heard that!!! ....except for the soda. Wonder what that's all about?

My dr. said the same too, only gave in and said that we could have 1 cup a day if it wasn the size of a big gulp cup.

Soda strecthes the pouch and studies have been done on RNY & lap band people that shows that they gain their weight back within 5 yrs. Not having soda is not all that serious for me.

Alcohol is empty calories and not good at all for the RNY. For them it is as if the 1 glass equals 3 and you get drunk real fast. Later on it can be added in but in moderation. but no carbonation at all!

At least that what I/we were told in pre-op class.

Morning all!

No worries with the Lipo here----the original PS surgeon I spoke with told me the only place he routinely finds himself doing any, in cases such as mine, is contouring where the new belly button finds itself. And in my case, if fat has formed in an area that would make reattaching the torn muscle impossible, which is very likely. Both Dr.s have told me that. And I know that side of my stomach is bigger, and still has fat/meat...something behind the skin that is not on the other side---heck it may be the retracted muscle itself I am feeling---I have no idea! I have never had a big 'love handle' issue, or no saddle bags----nothing I feel a need for lipo for. The PS surgeon told me he does not do aggressive lipo on band patients because there is tubing and a port to deal with, he said he would prefer just a modification of the existing skin. He said he can show me the difference and explain more to me in person, that he has pictures, which he only uses in a face to face appointment, they are not something he will email or anything, which is fine, I wouldn't want him sending mine out either!!!! I am going to call today and see if I can get in on the 2nd or not. I didn't base my choice on the availability of the lipo, it is just the only thing my other surgeon cannot do. The main reason I opted for him out of my top 2 was location. I would be happy with either surgeon, was just considering my own comfort in traveling. Both have told me it is a big surgery...and my muscle issue makes it challenging---fun! Just what I wanted to be a challenge! LOL

Kinsey got her cast off yesterday, and was sent home last night. She is here, laying on the couch, kinda shell shocked looking. She says her foot hurts, and her pokes hurt (her IV, blood draws---everything was referred to as pokes)....she is just kinda grumpy. The ortho put her in a Bledsoe Boot, but it is removable, so she can be properly bathed, and she can swim, etc. Sure is good to look over and her be there!!! Scared this Granny something fierce!

Rick is up and gone....he has meetings all morning, so I guess he is ok, I have not heard differently, and don't call him when I know he is in meetings. He was actually looking forward to his meetings this morning. He has been working on updating his crews pay scales, and they also won some Western USA award, and he gets to give his guys all good news today.

Don't you just love when people really start noticing, and saying something!!! Your NSV's sound wonderful!

Not that it makes a difference, I mean EVERY Dr. has different rules, and reasons for what they do....but I actually had coffee on my tray once following surgery in the hospital, until I told them I am not a coffee drinker. I drink tea EVERY day. Iced tea---year round....24/7... I do brew it at home using Decaf bags---but when I go out it is fully leaded as DH says. Have you ever ask WHY? I know the reasons behind the soda---and wonder if the coffee, etc os due to the caffeine???

Judy--if I onlyhad a small apron I would be ok with it---but it is unsightly, and begining to really show the size difference from side to side. I began this at 289 pounds, and the biggest majority of that weight was in my belly. Like I say, I have always had thin legs, and hips----I looked like humpty dumpty!!! We have no pool at home---if I want to take the grandkids swimming, we have to go to either a friends house, or a public pool. Or we can take the boat to the lake. Any which one I do, is in public---I have finally lost most of the weight, I want to be able to go without wondering if they are still staring! Without clothes it looks a bit like a deflated balloon---one that has been blown up a long time!!!! When I had to buy big bathing suits---ones with skirts, and such were all you could find. Well this year, none worked well!!! To get the rest to fit...the legs were too big, and allowed the apron to show...which was TOO gross!! And a 2 piece is not even an option yet. I do not want a bikini body---ok maybe I want it---I do not expect it!!! But I think maybe one of the tankini tops and boy shorts would work best for me----IF this apron was gone, now it looks all puffy stuffed in them....but if I get a one piece with top coverage, the leg openings are too big, and allow it all to just hang. It was gross!!!!! I don't say that in a fit of body hate!!! I actually find things about my body I like now! I like my legs---they are nicely toned....even if they are dayglo white! My back is toning up well....no more bra bulge anywhere! I can see my shoulder blades, and it curves in at my waist now! What butt I have left is a bit saggy, but ok. My forearms are toned! Upper arms have a lot of jiggle left, but it is getting better. Boobs are saggy, but in a bra, it is ok, and having cleavage that doesn't feel like just a continuation of my chins is great! I have collarbones---visible ones! But the belly----there is just no hope for. This is not something I am taking lightly---and I thank you for the advice and support concerning the lipo. I agree, I am not 20 something, I am never going to be that again! I just want to look semi normal---and that isn't happening with this belly. Will keep you all in the loop of what the Dr, has to say!!!

Well I need to go get dressed. Sesame Street is over, and that means so is Granny time!!!! Talk to y'all in awhile!

Kat

On every single page of my nutritionist's handout, it says in bold letter. NO CARBONATED beverages Soooooooo silly me.. I follow the rules. I really don't miss my Mt. Dew at all. I LOVE my Crystal Light slushy lemonade. It's really my between meal snacking. At least that's what I tell myself.. lol

I forgot one of the rules too. Stop drinking 15 minutes before a meal and don't drink for an hour afterwards. Sip, don't gulp. There.. I think that's it!

Oh Jenn -- I also meant to ask.... your doctor/group says no coffee, alcohol or soda for a year??? I never heard that!!! ....except for the soda. Wonder what that's all about?

Terry -

first... they say empty calories for the alcohol and your pouch is so small that 1 shot you can be completely wasted and caffine is a stimulant that triggers hunger and other things.. Obviously with the coffee it is blah blah blah to me, I am down to 2 cups a day but trust me... you don't want to be around my cranky butt when I don't have at least 1!

As for the other surgery, I guess that is what I'm getting to know. Is there a difference between a tuck and Lipo? I don't want lipo, I don't want them to suck the fat out of me... just pull me back together. So... If they are the same thing - i will not be doing it. but it is something that has always bothered me and I am interested in getting info on.

I too know someone who had lipo and they screwed something up and she couldn't stand straight, and it didn't help pull the skin back, so that is pointless to me. I am willing to work my butt off -

Kat

you crack me up, but I am laughing feeling the same way, I carried my weight all around but my belly is just sagging, my arms are toning, my legs. I don't want to be a size 3 ... but... I am technically single... love dbf but what if???? how can I give myself to someone else if I don't like me?

I am only 36 and want to look "normal" I would be happy with a flatter belly and 175!

I just bought my first boy shorts bottoms, but they are crapy material and I can't find good ones in black to match the tankini top I have. I never thought in a million years I would even wear a pr.!

Well stuck home, car is in the shop and it looks like it is going to storm out. It is so stinking hot here. What to do?

Lipo and Tummy Tuck are two different things. There are several people on this site that have had the tummy tuck and they look amazing. I'm just not into pain at my age.. lol I'm doing everything I can to tone. I know I'll end up with an apron because a LOT of my weight is in my belly. And unless the apron causes health/hygiene issues, my insurance won't cover any ps.

And one other bandster rule I forgot is that I write down EVERYTHING I eat in my personal journal and I keep a record of it on mydailyplate.com It keeps me on track for sure!!

I'm off to my PMS group for lunch. That's PMS as in Pastor's Main Squeeze. We clergy spouses gather for lunch once a month. It's a hoot as you can tell by our name. Catch you all later!

Terry -

first... they say empty calories for the alcohol and your pouch is so small that 1 shot you can be completely wasted and caffine is a stimulant that triggers hunger and other things.. Obviously with the coffee it is blah blah blah to me, I am down to 2 cups a day but trust me... you don't want to be around my cranky butt when I don't have at least 1!

LOL :blah: :blah: Yeah, that's how I am too. I used to have about 3+ cups o' java in the morning, a Diet Coke at around 10:30, tea with lunch, Diet Coke in the afternoon, then maybe tea again at dinner. So that's 7-8 servings of caffeine/day. Now I'm down to 2-3 at the very most. I am NOT giving up my morning go-go juice and I am NOT giving up my Iced Tea....for goodness sake, I was raised on that since I was old enough to drink from a sippy cup! I have not had a sip of soda since before surgery and don't miss it at all. Alcohol....uh...ermmmm.... I drink that!

thanks judy for that clarification, that was what I thought but worked myself into a tizzy this am> LOL

I am off to swim while i'm stuck here.

I just ate a 3oz turkey burger, smothered with fresh salsa to mositen it but it went down! yea real food 2 days in a row

My doc is the least restrictive in this..........

I had coffee before I even checked out of the hospital after surgery and he gives his patients back DIET soda after the 1 month appointment. He said that he hasn't seen any evidence of pouch dilation with carbonated beverages and thinks that it was mainly a rule geared toward RNY patients. His bariatric coordinator (and also his very first band patient) proudly shakes her dt. coke/dt. dr pepper glass at any who ask her about it) She was banded in 2001 and has lupus and as a result has been completely unfilled, loosely filled and now back to being regularly filled in the time I first started the process. (She is in size 10/12)

I do have it but not daily like I used to.

hi everyone,

i was banded march 30, 07. i have continually admired the interactions you april guys have and wished i was banded 2 days later. (i went to catholic school when i was a kid so we tend to follow rules...april surgeries in april thread ha!!)

when i expressed this to terri a few weeks ago...she was most welcoming in telling me to join in.

i was wondering if anyone would have a problem if i join in here....i seem to talk to myself on other threads...and this is quite frustrating...

thanks and have a terrific tuesday!