Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Bandme & GR8... if you happen to read this.... please please please tell us in more detail about your surgery experiences!

I really am interest in PAIN- like, immediately following, the next day, etc. How would you describe it?

My band-day is next Monday and I am starting to freak out a little bit!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Monday too, and i'm not so worried about the surgery anymore, but the pain after as well, I have to be back to School on Wed and I hope I can do it. ok I know I can, don't have a choice right?

we will be great Monday!

Schexymomma - hi there! I was FREAKED out too as it got to be a couple of days away from my surgery date. I went to the hospital for pre-op bloodwork, and EKG, and paperwork and when they gave me the consent forms for the neck catheter is when I REALLY started to freak out. I called my dr immediately and he said they do NOT do it for lapband but for bypass it's routine. I still wasn't completely settled and even on my surgery date from the moment I got there until I was out I was asking everyone who came to do something to me about the neck cath - all said "no" - so I was freaking out for nothing.

Honestly - it will truly go smoother than you are thinking it will now. I was calm until the pre-op appt. I didn't go crazy with "the last foods" the day before surgery. But I did treat myself - not crazily but definitely treated myself = Breakfast I had a Bruegger's bagel with a diet coke, lunch I had Wendy's chicken salad sandwich with Water, dinner my husband, kids and close friends all went out to Carrabus for dinner. I had a filet mignon steak and mashed potatoes. Then after the kids went to bed, my husband went to get ice cream sundaes. yum! It was delicious!

My surgery time was 3pm - UGH! No food or water after midnight then wait until 1pm to get to the hospital = agony! But I made it!

Surgery was 58 minutes long! (my dr's newest record time!) lol!!!

Pain - VERY manageable. I was on Toridol and Demirol in the hospital. Toridol just took the edge off and Demirol really helped. They also gave me 2 rounds of antibiotic for preventative infection.

You DEFINITELY know something happened to you. Seriously though - I have 5 incisions. 4 are 1/2 inch long and do not bother me at all. The 1 1/2 inch incision for the port has continued to be the one that hurts, burns if you move wrong, etc.

Getting in and out of your bed is the hardest and sitting/standing for the potty is hard too - but only for a couple of days. DH helped me all the way! He has been fantastic!

I got out of recovery around 6:30pm and DH and I took a walk up the hospital hall at 11:30pm and 4am. It was ME who wanted to walk. It felt better to be standing for a little while.

I was home by 3pm the next day. Made it upstairs, one at a time, by myself.

DH helped me in the shower the next day (and shaved my legs too!).

Today is day 5 after surgery and I went for a long (slow) walk around my neighborhood while my kids (6 and 4 1/2) rode their bikes. Fresh air was nice!

I stopped all pain meds on Monday (4th day after surgery). I have plenty liquid lortab left. I stopped that at 7am on Monday morning. Then at 12:30pm I had liquid Tylenol - WOW THAT STUFF IS NASTY!!!! Cherry - yeah right! ICK! And today I haven't had any pain meds even after my long walk.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Trust me, you are freaking out WAY more than you need to be, but understandably you are freaking. It IS surgery. You will be GREAT!

I hope this helps! Take care and GOOD LUCK!!!

Bandedme

that is great details, and you sound like you have a wonderful supporting DH. Shaved your legs and everything! LOL

keep up the great work!

Hey Tracy! I'm off to the hospital today at 1:00 PM for my banding! AAAAAAHHHH! I'm excited. I managed to lose about 10 lbs. pre op (I had a very quick journey...5 weeks from start to surgery). I believe I'm at 237 and started at my highest at 247. Looking forward to checking in with you.

We can DO THIS!

Hey Tracy! I'm off to the hospital today at 1:00 PM for my banding! AAAAAAHHHH! I'm excited. I managed to lose about 10 lbs. pre op (I had a very quick journey...5 weeks from start to surgery). I believe I'm at 237 and started at my highest at 247. Looking forward to checking in with you.

We can DO THIS!

Jill

where are you in NY? where and who is doing your surgery? I am in Albany having mine done Monday

Phil and Schexy -

I did not have a pre-op diet. My dr said the day before surgery I had an "optional" liquid diet -but get real - WHO is going to do that?! not me! ha! He said just no bindging.

I think I luckily escaped the pre-op liquid diet because I was able to lose 9 pounds on my own before the surgery. That to my dr showed commitment and I didn't need th pre-op diet. BMI at surgery was 40.7, weight 253. At my first appt in January, BMI was 41.2 and weight 262. I think I was one of the lucky ones to not have the liquid diet BEFORE surgery. It is hard enough doing it now AFTER surgery! Today is day 6 and I'm still on Clear Liquids. It's getting really hard because my energy is totally zapped. I went for a long walk yesterday and that really kicked my butt - not during the walk - that felt GREAT! but afterwards I have not been able to keep my energy level up at all. It's like I'm tired but I don't want to sleep - just wiped out.

Anyone know if the Vitamin B 12 would be good to start now or should I wait for the dr?

Good luck to all being banded today and this week and month!!!!!

Bandedme

YEA Bubbles:clap2: !!! Let us know how you are. Give us all the details... :(

Congrats you are on your way to a new life :lol:

I am still counting down the days...... 6 days and a wake up call!

DynamoMini:hug: from Colorado,

Are you worried that we are not staying overnight in the hospital? I am debating on if I should get a hotel room or just make the drive home afterwards? :lol: How are you doing on your pre-op diet losing any weight? :biggrin1:

opps, one more thing I have been meaning to ask the group... what are you using the bullet for? I have not got one and am wondering if I need to get one before surgery?

Hi All! :(

Good Luck to all of you having surgery again this week!! (Bubbles and Jill) let us know that your back safely and everythings ok wont you! I wonder how there others are doing? Teachlady and everyone, hope theyre all ok.

Well yesterday I made a lasanga for my mum n dad (as they are back fron there holiday soon) and I made up one for hubby too, anyway I succombed! I had too small bowlfulls, I felt really naughty (it was sloppy but calorific or what!!!!!!!!) I wont make that again, its just too tempting, but oh my it tasted divine!!

Ok (for us ladies :biggrin1: ) well someone gave me a fabulous idea to mark my weight loss and journey over the next coming year(s) until I reach goal. Well someone suggested a charm braclet and every 7lbs I lose add a new charm. Well, several months ago 2 work collegues bought these sweetie braclets (sliver ones) and they are just goegeous, so I looked up who made them and discovered they do charms too!! :rofl: So on Saturday Im gonna go and buy the braclet, they stock them in a nice designer jewelry shop about 30 min drive away in a country town, and then (HOPEFULLY!!) every month go back and buy a charm, what do you think, I'll show you the link!! It is a bit expensive at £98.00 but Im worth it!! LOL

http://www.linksoflondon.com/online-shop/women/charms you can even play around on this web site and design your own design I love it!!!

Whats everyone else going to do to mark each step of their weight loss journey?

Hugs Sara :lol:

<TABLE class=tborder id=post440258 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead id=currentPost> #1272 <!-- [sTART HACK='vB Pager' AUTHOR='UAEWEB.COM' VERSION='3.0.0' CHANGEID= 6 ] --><!-- [END HACK='vB Pager' AUTHOR='UAEWEB.COM' VERSION='3.0.0' CHANGEID= 6 ] -->report.gif

<!-- status icon and date -->post_new.gif Today, 08:27 AM <!-- / status icon and date -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>image.php?u=14141&dateline=1175447007</TD><TD noWrap>Sara Mos user_online.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_440258", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Feb 2007

im_yahoo.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Well someone suggested a charm braclet and every 7lbs I lose add a new charm.

Thx Sara that sounds great! I have been wondering what to reward myself with!!

That is a great idea about the charms! But gosh if I got a charm for every 7 pounds I lost I would need more surgery to add an extra arm or two! This has got me thinking that I need to plan something special for my weight loss, can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing!!!

Jane

opps, one more thing I have been meaning to ask the group... what are you using the bullet for? I have not got one and am wondering if I need to get one before surgery?

Angie

I got mine and brought it on vacation - made a margarita, LOL but seriously, great for shakes, and the mushie stage. A blender would work the same but the nice part of the bullet is that they are cup size and comes with 4 so you don't have to take the entire thing apart each time you use it. I used it this am to make omlets and they were nice and fluffy

I hope that helps

Hi guys,

Well I think were deserve something special, this journey might be tough at times, and Im gonna look down at my braclet (& charms, lol) and its going to be my special symbol, and when I look at it, its gonna be a real acheivement to me personally :lol:

I'm pleased you like the idea! I thought it was really cool when someone mentioned it to me too.

Well if youve got lots of 7lbs to lose, you can reward yourself with loads of things!! lol :biggrin1:

Sara xx

Sara,

What a wonderful idea. What I even like about the charm Bracelet idea is that it is something I will keep and cherish forever. If I were to reward myself w/ say clothes, shoes, CD's, I won't have it forever, and they won't hold the same value and meaning. I love your idea! After this post I am gonna go to the link. I may do something more local (southern california), or indulge myself. Like you said, "I'm worth it!" One reward I am buying for myself is the 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybird. I am so looking forward to Friday when I buy it! I've wanted one for a bit, and told myself, if I go through the surgery, I get to buy the car! But the charm bracelet is for the smaller rewards.

Well, I worked out the last two days, and today...feel very bad. Cramps and very sore at the port area. Although I wanted to do it everyday this week, I have to skip today and tomorrow (the maid comes tomorrow and I have to be out of the house by 7am). But I am still proud of myself and will be back on Friday am.

BTW...if you are looking for motivation...look up Telly! She has made an amazing transformation. She has posted pix and has posted a rigorous "IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED DO THIS" article. It is pretty hard core, but wow, what success. I put the article on my journal for me to refer to it, feel free to look...really amazing.

Have a good day!