Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Hi there everyone! I had a pre-op appt at the hospital this morning. All I can say is GOOD GRIEF!!!! I had to be there by 8:15am, so of course, I was a little early thinking that would help, 8:10am - well- by NOON I was done!!!! Not because the actually DID much - but the WAITING!!!! OMW!!!!

I had boodwork done - 5 vials - ouch! And EKG, weight, met with the anesthesiologists team person, and they measured my neck. weird - I asked what the neck measurement was for - they said it is to know what size scope thing they need when they intibate during surgery. Interesting.

So, signed all the consent forms, etc. GET THIS - they will do an IV line and an arterial catheter in my hand (2 lines total) AND they had me sign a consent for a neck catheter line - WHOA!!! Did anyone know about this possibility? I didn't!!!!

I asked about it - they said they always do one for gastric bypass patients, but that with lapband it's a backup. I asked that they NOT do one as a "routine" thing and only if it's actually necessary. I HOPE and PRAY I don't get one!!!!

I have a call into my band dr's nurse to ask about it more.

Anyone know more details about this?

I was COMPLETELY fine with all that will happen EXCEPT for this part - NOW I AM FREAKED OUT AND NERVOUS AS ALL GET OUT!!!!

HELP!!!!

Bandedme (4/5/07)

My Doc hasnt said anything about a neck catheter, but I wouldnt worry too much about it, they are professionals and im sure they know what they are doing! Im more freaked out about having a big metal pipe down my throat!!! lol

I don't care about the throat thing - it's a breathing tube while you are intebated - the machine helps regulate breathing during surgery - that doesn't bother me - they put it in after you are knocked out and they take it out before you wake up......the neck cath is put in at the same time as the hand IV - FULLY AWAKE and able to feel the pain of the sticks! OUCH!

Anyone had the neck cath for their surgery?

Haven't heard back from the dr's office about it yet - I am going to email the nurse about it now. I'll let you know what she says, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows about it too.

Thanks!

Bandedme

Julie: I'm headed out the door right now from work.. I will add you later tonight when I get a chance.. or in the morning.....

This is my preop diet (email copy from the nurse) From this list, I am personally chosing the lower carb options so I can jumpstart my weight loss... ok.. gotta go..

Pre-Operative Diet<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Beginning 2 weeks prior to surgery we ask that you start a very low fat, low calorie diet. This will reduce the size of your liver and make your surgery safer. The liver can be large and hard to retract out of the way to be able to perform the operation. <o:p></o:p>

You can have 4 Protein Shakes per day. There are several varieties of Protein powders such as whey or soy protein. These are sold at GNC, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Usually the powders are better tasting since you can control the flavor.<o:p></o:p>

You can get any flavor or brand, but make sure it is less than 200 calories and low sugar. Most will be approximately 20 grams of protein. You can mix it with skim milk or Water. You can also add fresh or frozen fruit (no added sugar) to your shake.<o:p></o:p>

You can consume any amount of the following liquids:<o:p></o:p>

sugar free drinks: Tea, coffee, flavored waters, crystal light<o:p></o:p>

Broth—reduced sodium <o:p></o:p>

Sugar free popsicles, sherbet, jell-o<o:p></o:p>

In moderation you can have the following: (2 cups per day)<o:p></o:p>

Gatorade, juice, skim milk, and diet soda<o:p></o:p>

If you have any questions please call.<o:p></o:p>

Hey, breathing tube is great, but I am going to ask them to be super careful. Last year I had my tonsils out and when they removed the tube they slightly chipped one of my front teeth! Not a major but something I'm aware of now and I will definately mention it when I have my surgery in a couple of weeks. :D

Please send me your prayers and good vibes!!

Tomorrow is my big day and I am soooo nervous. God just get me through surgery day and I promise I will do the rest! Just don't let me die. Ok, my outburst of fear is done now. Thinking happy thoughts. I can't believe I will be banded by this time tomorrow. SOOOOOOOOO freaked out right now. AAAAHHHH!!!!:omg:

Hi all,

This is Lorraine, Pat's wife. I'm writing to say that Pat is home and feeling ok. His surgery went well and aside from the terrible gas pains, he is feeling better than expected.

Good luck to those who were banded today and to those getting it done tomorrow.

We are hoping this is the start of a healthy new lifestyle change for our family.

He's officially in band-land.

Lorraine

Hi April Crew!!

Sounds as if you are all doing well!!! Some of you have come on over to bandland, and the rest of you are standing at the fence looking in---you'll be here soon!!!

Back over a year ago, when it became clear to my DH that I was serious about this surgery, I told him I was having a hard time with his seeming indifference. He would just tell me "whatever you want to do, I'll be there for you". I wanted him to discuss the pros and cons with me, and tell me what a wonderful idea it was---but he wasn't. This is a man I can honestly say has seldom if ever truly let me down. I was feeling like he must not want me to have this done. Finally one night lying in bed discussing our day, as was usual for us, he ask what was wrong, and I told him. He then proceded to set me straight!!! He told me that he felt he was in a no win place. He did not know how to support me, without it possibly backfiring on him. He felt if he reacted in a positive highly supportive way I may perceive that as him being unhappy with me as I was, and if something happen and surgery fell through, I would think he was disappointed to be "stuck" with the fat me. But if he didn't act super supportive, I would think he was against me having the surgery, and trying to get healthy and happy with myself again. He told me to truly did not know how to support me. He told me he loved me the way I was and would love me if I lost or even gained a hundred pounds. As things fell into place, and surgery was deemed 'a go', he really got behind it, he flew to MX with me, and was there every step of the way. He is my biggest support---telling me every day when he hugs me, how much smaller I am.

The point of this is----he was right, I, in my emotional state of wanting the surgery sooooo bad, could have read his actions in many different ways. There is not a great way for someone in his position to act, and it be ok. This changes everyones lives---not just ours....and they tend to be scared of changes. Most people are. Give them a chance---I hope they surprise you, and just knock your socks off. You deserve their support. Insecurity often leads to the actions you mention. Could he wonder if you being thin and attractive to everyone, may cause you to choose someone else? I have heard it more than once on this board, that a husband thinks as soon as we lose our weight, we are going to leave them. I guess they think our integrity is stored in our thighs, and our faithfullness in our butts!!!!

Many of you have mentioned hopes of being as successful as us 06 bandsters were----you WILL be!!! We have done nothing out of the ordinary (ok some of them DID!!!), we had the same worries and hopes a year ago. You WILL do it....You WILL lose weight....You WILL gain confidence...You WILL maintain wonderful friendships here...You WILL learn good eating habits....You WILL share the knowledge you gain....You WILL be here for the April 08 banders...You WILL wonder why you waited so long!

I am glad to see so many of you over on the exercise challenge board. Walking is all it takes, and walking is the best thing you can do as you prepare for surgery, and recover from surgery! Several 5 minute walks a day is all it takes, you will be surprised to see how your energy soars, and soon you will be walking for 30-45 minutes all in one shot. It really helps a lot with the weight loss too!

Everyone hang in there----come here to your friends when the going gets tough, or the hunger gets severe.

Tracy---I am going to be getting my summer clothes out soon---if you are interested in more let me know.

Enjoy your evening all!!!

Kat

Kat - Thank you for your words of encouragement and "bright spot" today! Many of us (me included!!!) are getting really nervous about surgery as our dates approach, I know you can relate!!!!

I've been completely fine and at peace with it all.........until today - I had the hospital pre-op appt. My arm is still quite sore from where the lab lady and to "fish" my vein and side stick it to get the 5 vials of blood from me! ouch! (although I know this pain is going to be unbelievably minimal in 2 days!)

But nonetheless, thank you for looking forward a year to the 2007 April bandsters and being a bright spot of encouragement! I know at least for me, it makes me feel better and that I definitely have chosen to do the right thing when I hear success stories from those who have already been banded!

Bandedme

04/05/07

KAT: what can I say... YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!

As I sit here and type this, my family is eating spaghetti and garlic bread, and I'm hunkered down at the computer. I'm getting ready to go get a Protein Shake maybe a can of tuna, but I think I'm going with just the shake tonight......... we shall see!!!!!!

Good to know that one of today's bandster is just fine, happy healings Pat.

Tomorrow is my B-day.

ShineOn, good luck and I really like your prayer "God just get me through surgery day and I promise I will do the rest! Just don't let me die.":pray2:

Good luck to us to be-banded tomorrow, and this week.:D

I'll post as soon as I feel better.

Just wanted to check in.. Those who have had the surgery wow!!! YOU'RE DOING SO GOOD!!! I hope that I will be as lucky!

last night was really hard on my pre op diet.. hubby made meat balls but then.. he also made homemade ravioli (sigh). I did not have any but for the life of me I wanted to. Its weird... I have been going this whole time before pre op diet on the diet with no problems then bam.. its official time to be on it and I have such a horrible night. I just ate my meatball and went to bed. I had to close the door and light all my candles (too many to count) so I could block out the smell of his cooking. I didn't want to say anything to my husband because I dont want him to feel bad for fixing that stuff because I cant tell when I am going to have a hard time or not. I am much better this morning but he is still a little mad that I left the table with out a word and went to bed. But I couldn't say anything..

well.. I made it through it so.. that is a positive note right? I did not give in... even though I wanted to.

Misty, you have more will power than me girl. I'm so proud of you. Just share with your husband what you were feeling so that he doesn't misinterpret your actions for anger towards him.

Did you know we'll be band sisters? You, me and Jen. I'll be thinking of ya'll as I'm sitting on my bare butt in my hospital bed. I wonder why they make you take your panties off when you get surgery done? I got my gallbladder taken out a few months ago and was surprised when they told me to strip! Why? Don't get it.

10 more days, hang in there...

Panties: All of our clothing contains carried in cooties... any bacteria can be bad. They want you butt naked for your own benefit.

Just think my AF showed up just in time for my surgery- no tampons allowed- and no panties! They gave me a GIANT S. Napkin and said, just "place it" ...like that was not obvious or embarrasing. I would have been OK with the no panties, but, would have liked to be more "discrete".