Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Hello all! I am a self-pay and scheduled for April 9th with Dr. Zapata in Monterrey. I've been reading everything I can on the procedure and I finally feel confident that I've made a good decision about getting the surgery done. My current weight is right at 300. Hope to lose half my body weight... Can't wait to get started... :(

My name is Julie. I am scheduled for April 2, 07. Looking forward to meeting new friends on LBT and sharing experiences.

Welcome Julie! I think you'll find this thread and LBT VERY supportive and lots of fun.

Chica Chula, I'm self pay too and although it's a big decision I know we're making the right choice. What's your height? I'm 5' 5" and we have the same goal weight. I was 300 pounds last June and went to a weight loss program (lost 40 pounds but gained 10 back.) So now I'm at 270 and trying really hard not to gain it all back. Last supper syndrome is really hard for me right now.

All in all, I'm really excited and nervous. I told my mom on wednesday and she was NOT happy. She's a nutritionist/dietician and I think that she's really disappointed in me... that I can't diet and exercise 120 pounds off. It's hard to even imagine that in a year we could have the results of the April 06 Bandsters. I get so excited about it, I just start giggling with joy like a little kid.

With love, Sheila

Thanks Sheila, I've been really impressed with this site and with the people on here. I am lucky I have insurance right now. Otherwise I would be self pay. We should set up a foundation for self payers. :help:

I'm excited to be on here and excited to get things rolling.

Hi Everyone!

I too am to be banded next month!:clap2: I am scheduled for 4/6 with Dr. Ortiz. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and making new friends who understand this journey! I haven't told many people because while they would want to be supportive, they don't know how. I did ask one friend to come with me since DH can't go, but she shocked me by sending me an email basically begging me not to and saying I should "just go to the gym." #1 DUH! Like that never occurred to me and #2, I DO GO TO THE GYM! So, that pretty muched curtailed any other notions I had about telling anyone.

I, like everyone else, realize this is not a miraculous 'cure.' I see the initial advantages, but I really want it for the maintenance factor!

Anyway, great to meet you all and can't wait 'til we're all banded. (I just know there's a terrible joke to be me made here about a "bandwagon" but I just can bring myself to make it.)

Well the April bandwagon is getting full!!

Welcome to all you newcomers!!

I think that's a good idea to visit the April 2006 bandsters...that'll keep me motivated and excited!

CJULZGO-I also have a date set for 4-2-07!!!!Congratulations to us.

chica chula- has date set on my birthday and we are both self-pay.

I saw what was said about "self-pay foundation" mentioned above.........and please allow me to be the first to sign up!!!!!!!! My DH was just supportive enough to sign home equity loan papers for my self-pay.

Good luck to all and good to see you all on the bandwagon!!!:)

:) Happy Saturday night everyone! It is getting closer every day!

Welcome to everyone who has joined this list!...

I am lucky to have insurance coverage as well, but I did put $3900 in my Flex Spending Account (that covers my annual out of pocket max) Which is a lot better than the $16.5K my doc charges for his cash price.

I often go check out the April 06 bandsters for motivation.

April is right around the corner I can't believe we are almost there! Is anyone else doing some shopping for post-surgery? I got some great ideas from threads on what to have. It's at least helping me feel more prepared! :)

:heh: Everyone on here is just great!! I am getting more excited each time I read the posts.

Heather....most of my friends and family have been supportive. However, one of my best girlfriends had a fit that I was thinking about having LPS done. She went ballistic. She said it was because she wished there was another way for me to lose weight and feel better. But, sometimes I think it's that she is afraid I might look better than she does.

My other best friend is almost as excited as I am about it. Both of these women are tall and thin. It's interesting how different each is reacting.

My fiance wasn't happy with the idea of surgery. He still has a problem with it but he is supportive of my decision. He wants me to be happy and to feel better.

Maziemommy....Thanks and congrats to you too!!!

To everyone else....I hope to chat with all of you. This is a great support system. Good luck to everyone who is being banded in April!!!

Julie

Don't feel bad. I had to selectively tell friends and family because so many (thin ones) have the thought that you should just do it on your own. Well I'm 48 and I've been down that road a few times. I would love to "do it on my own", but I will be able to with the lap band as a tool. I still will have to watch my calorie intake.

Most people will be supportive when they see what's happening with you and how you are doing with it. There are so many people that have given it a bad reputation because of changing one addiction for another. That is a risk, but it depends on the person.

Good luck to you.

I am really surprised by the sheer number of people over the age of 40....or even 50....on this board. I think it demonstrates that, by this age, we know what works and what doesn't. I've been limiting my calories to about 1500 since for the last couple of weeks and have lost a grand total of 1#! And I already know that by the time my surgery comes around that number won't change much. Been there, done that. Diets just don't work anymore. Period. I need HELP, serious HELP, in getting my calories any lower and am counting on the band. After 48 years (38 of those spent dieting) I know what I am capable of....if I don't have the "willpower" to do it in the customary way, so be it. I don't have any desire to spend the rest of my life HUNGRY in order to be at a healthy weight. No, thank you.

It is unfortunate that the general public doesn't realize what it's like to be us....or understand that this is a deeply personal and well-researched decision on our parts. Do they (the 'unbelievers') really think we'd prefer to be restricted in this way if there wasn't a damn good reason for it? I personally don't have the energy or the will to explain this to every single person who wants justification for my decision and for this reason I just have to keep it as private a possible....strictly on a need-to-know basis.

Anyway, it's a beautiful day here in Houston and I think I'll go out for a walk!! Hope ya'll have a nice Sunday!

Hi All

:wow2: there are loads of having the op in the 1st week of April, does anyone still have a list? Tracy do you still have a list still?

Well last night met up with a load of girlfriends, we ordered masses of chinese food, my eyes are bigger than my stomach!!

Just think folks....only 3 weeks to go :girl_hug:

I'm so excited for you all - soon you'll be in the place I was a year ago on 4/7................I was so excited and hopefull.....................it's a year later (almost) and guess what - the excitement grows and grows and grows..........................I'm a 67 year old sexy, studly, healthy Grammy now! Down 64 pounds, in a size 12 jean, a med top..............I look pretty "cute"....................exercise 6/7 days a week (could hardly make it around the block before)......................still want to loose a bit more, BUT IF I "ONLY" stay here - I've got it made! It does get a bit harder as time goes by - but that great "old band" did and does the trick! Yes, I cannot eat much in order to loose - especially now -......................however, that is what the band does for you (IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES!!!)...................those rules are not hard! You can do it - we the "april 2006 bandits" did it and continue today - search for us and read our threads.............we are succesfull and you will be too!