Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetic Post Op Question??

I have scheduled my surgery for Mar9th..The Dr wasnt real helpful in explaining what the liquid diet consist of...i have recently been diag with Diabetes and i have to take gluphosage 500 4 times a day. Plus i eat every 4 hours (almonds,yogurt,beef sticks) to keep my Protein level up so that i dont get weak and pass out at work. i also drink alot of Water throughout the day at my desk. can anyone tell me what the do to help prevent diabetic shakes at work now that they have been banded? This is one of my biggest fears!! :help:

thanks for any reply!

That was one of my main concerns, too...."if I don't eat I'll pass out." I was on several oral meds. However, it never happened! I never even had shakey or dizzy spells (surgeon did take me off all diabetic meds just before and for a few days after surgery). But when I went back on the meds, I had no symptoms at all. Within just a few weeks I had to reduce my meds (sugar was getting low altho I had no outward symptoms). By 7 mo. out, I was not taking any at all. I've been off them completely for 3 mo. now and my sugar level is holding steady. Feels like a miracle....I'd been on meds for about 20 years. (I'm also off all blood pressure meds!).

Best wishes to you.......

keep a bag of m&m's handy. Just a few will bring your sugar level up in very short time. I also am diabetic using glucovance only and watching my diet. After two days on pre-op diet I was taken off glucovance because my sugarlevels were bottoming out. So far so good. No more glucovance since. Dr. says that as I progress diabetes should be a thing of the past. Hope you have good luck.

I was on both insulin and oral meds for diabetes. I have not had to take one shot of insulin since the surgery and I've been able to cut the meds dosage in half. That was from the very day of surgery, but I strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about adjusting your dosage.

Jack,

THANK YOU for the lesson. I too am newly diagnosed; and on the same meds, twice a day. I was SOOOOOOO worried about my sugars. For some reason, the last two nights I've awoken at 1 a.m. with low sugar. I can't understand why this has happend. Any insight?

I've been told to check my sugar level before going to bed. if it is below 140, I'm supposed to have 1 Protein and 1 carb. That should hold you til morning.

Hi ssmith9994

My mother is also diabetic and she has been banded for 5 days now maybey you can help she has diaria all the time what ever she drink it come back out almost right away is ther anything she can doo to stop it tried getting intouch with the doctor that banded her but he hasent returned her calls can you help thank you.

Hi ssmith9994

My mother is also diabetic and she has been banded for 5 days now maybey you can help she has diaria all the time what ever she drink it come back out almost right away is ther anything she can doo to stop it tried getting intouch with the doctor that banded her but he hasent returned her calls can you help thank you.

Is your Mom on metformin (Glucophage?)? Did they recently switch her to metformin?? It can cause diarrhea.

It's terrible that the doctor hasn't returned her calls. I would call and be very firm with the office that you need a call back asap. How many times did she call them?