Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, the past couple of weeks have been most eventful. I've had my sleep study; gotten the results (moderate obstructive sleep apnea - picked up my CPAP this afternoon); completed all my bloodwork, and... RECEIVED APPROVAL FROM MY INSURANCE COMPANY! My pre-op is scheduled for next Thursday, 1/10. The earliest I can have surgery is Friday, 1/18 (if he has openings). If not, it will be the following week.

OMGOMGOMG! I cannot believe its happened this quickly. My first informational session was on 11/14, and from that day on, it's been non-stop appointments. My Bariatric Coordinator is simply an angel. She's worked so hard, and kept me informed every step of the way. I'm a wee bit scared now, but there's more excitement than fear.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to set my date. I don't see any point in postponing it. My dad is ill, and I want to get this done so I can be around and healthy enough to take care of him for however much longer we have him.

Congrats on the approval!!! it dies go pretty fast once you get the approval and before you know it you 2 months post op like me!!

Congrats. You have been on a whirlwind of activity haven't you. Hope you can get the surgery date you need. Prayers for you and for your Dad. Good luck with getting used to the C Pap, if you keep using it you will come to love it. I don't lay down on the bed even to rest my eyes without putting mine on. I have been using one for about 14 years. Again congrats and wishing you the very best.

Congrats! Your turn to shine.

Thank you so much, everyone! I hope to get my date by tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to now get my surgery done as soon as they can get me in. No point in putting it off. I spent the weekend cleaning my apartment, including cleaning out my fridge and cupboards. I now have almost NO food - LOL! I went out shopping and bought just the basics I will need for the first couple of weeks (broth, crystal light, etc.) at pre-op on Thursday I will be picking up my Bariatric Advantage shake mix and Vitamins.

Had a bit of an emotional afternoon. My dad is very worried about the surgery, and just does not understand why I am doing it. I tried explaining the procedure, and he's worried because its not reversible. Why would I want to reverse weight loss? As I started verbalizing what it's like to be obese, and the role that has played in my life (or lack thereof), I started getting very emotional. I guess I've never verbalized it to anyone before. I also tried to explain that I know of the complications; however, if I let any of life's difficulties stop me from doing what I have to do (like I have most of my life), I wouldn't get anywhere and would continue being miserable. Only after I'd told him that my coworker whose had the surgery done by the same surgeon is at work, looking and feeling wonderful, did he calm down a bit.

I feel a bit selfish right now for causing him worry. He has enough things to worry about wi his wn health issues. But I feel if I don't do this now, I will never get the chance.

Thank you for listening to my vent. :-)

Congrats to you!!!

Well' date=' the past couple of weeks have been most eventful. I've had my sleep study; gotten the results (moderate obstructive sleep apnea - picked up my CPAP this afternoon); completed all my bloodwork, and... RECEIVED APPROVAL FROM MY INSURANCE COMPANY! My pre-op is scheduled for next Thursday, 1/10. The earliest I can have surgery is Friday, 1/18 (if he has openings). If not, it will be the following week.

OMGOMGOMG! I cannot believe its happened this quickly. My first informational session was on 11/14, and from that day on, it's been non-stop appointments. My Bariatric Coordinator is simply an angel. She's worked so hard, and kept me informed every step of the way. I'm a wee bit scared now, but there's more excitement than fear.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to set my date. I don't see any point in postponing it. My dad is ill, and I want to get this done so I can be around and healthy enough to take care of him for however much longer we have him.

[/quote']

Wow that's great. You were not required to do the 3-6 month weight management program? I hope mine goes as fast.

Why don't you take dad to a support group meeting this may help ease his mind or to a seminar even though you already went to one

Well, I got my date: Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM!!! :D

Laverne1908 - Nope, all I have to do is a shake thing (2 shakes and a "sensible meal) beginning one week prior to surgery. I'm sure they'll try to make me purchase the Bariatric Advantage ones. They're supposed to last me for the pre-op week, plus one week post-op (at 3 shakes a day).

kisersassy - My dad has lung cancer, and can barely get up and around anymore. My sister and I have to run all his errands and transport him to/from all of his appointments. My dad is the type who will fret over the smallest things. He also doesn't like change of any kind, so he just doesn't understand. It's okay. I have enough support around me to get me through this. My biggest hurdle was telling my lunch buddy, who eats nothing but crap. I was sure she was going to give me a hard time, but I just told her this morning, and she seems to be fine with it. I told her "Don't give me any grief when I can't eat the same stuff you do!" LOL!

Cat, I am so happy you got your date! I am going to get my date by Friday. and have the preopp class Friday. I'm so happy for you...I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Congrats

Keep us posted

Congrats! Your dad sounds like mine, but my daddy feels there is nothing wrong with me. I get it, they love us no matter what and can't understand why someone would "choose" to have surgery if they didn't have too. I tell my dad after things are already done so he doesn't freak out. LOL

Best wishes!! :)