Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Immediate Support Needed

DeLarla - Hope you are feeling better today. Girl, just jump on that Harley and go for a ride! It will make you feel lots better. I am here if you ever want to e-mail me.

Betty

I had your garden variety nervous breakdown yesterday. So I took the day off work. But I'm back to work today and feeling better. I was able to get a couple buddies to chat with me - my nurses! Thanks girlies!

I did not ride the Harley, but I did watch the video and started reading the book. I'm going to ride her this weekend, but only up and down the block till I'm licensed.

Glad you are feeling better. You are doing right, just riding on the block. I actually went to a large parking lot that was empty, but that had lost of things to go around such as corners, curbs, etc. You also would benefit from riding around in a circle both ways, and then start doing some figure eights. That will help you alot. You want to get lots of riding out of traffic in before you even think about going out in traffic. You will do great, but it does take a lot of practice when you first start. The test for the license is nothing, so don't worry too much about that. Hope that helps you some. Please feel free to ask me anything you want to about how to do something. I know you have your DH to ask, but if he was like mine, he didn't tell me all the things I needed to know but assumed I already knew! Got figure!

Betty

I made it up and down our long block, turning in 10 tight culdesacs last week. I'm taking a DMV-approved 3 day class at the end of September, so I hope to be licensed by then, which is a couple days before my b-day. So hubby better sell a guitar or something to buy me a leather jacket and gloves by then!

I took a class too, and it really did help. I didn't learn it all from the class though, and you will learn alot from just experiencing it. Tell him leather for graduating the class, and leather for Christmas, and leather and diamonds for B-day! Since we got our Harleys, it is usually something like that for gifts. I use to get diamonds all the time, now I get leather or chrome! lol

You won't have to take the driving test at the license place if you take that class, you will only have to take the written test and it is easy after the class. Also, you will get a 10% discount on your insurance. Also, if you turn in your class to the Harley place, you will get a $50.00 gift certificate, at least I did.

Betty

I rode a bike when I was younger, but not a beasty Harley so I'm not worried. Chris points at the horn while telling me to adjust the mirrors - he's a bad instructor, so I'm taking the class to make my friends happy and to reduce our insurance. I really don't wanna do the whole, "Harley Mamma" thing. I'd like to incorporate the bike ever so gently into my world. We'll go to Laughlin for the bike run, but if Chris starts talking Sturgis he's gonna have to get himself a girlfriend!

We go for a ride with the Harley chapter once in a while, but mostly we go out in the country and ride by ourselves. We take some short trips, last couple have been to Marble Falls for the weekend. That is about 200 miles from us, and that is far enough for me! I do have my leather jacket with fringe, and my boots (they are black with red flames that change colors in the sun) and some harley shirts. I have a couple of harley hats, one say "Harley Girl" and the other one says "Harley Girls Rule." I am not into that hard stuff though, and I am not into Sturgis or Daytona. A lot of the girls go from here, but I am not one! You would have to buy me a seat with fresh air blowing out all the time! lol After so long I start to get chapped and that is not for me! With some experience behind you, it will be a breeze for you. I didn't have any experience at all, I didn't even know how to start one! Now I just put my fat bod up there and ride with the best of them. I do not go over 70 mph though, that is fast enough for me! I would rather cruize, my DH would rather speed. When he yells at me to catch up to him, I just ignore him. He can either slow down or just leave me, but I am not going to go faster when I don't feel comfortable with it. He has been riding most of his life, and he isn't scared of going over 100 on one. Enough rambling!

Betty

You don't have to worry about any cones on your bike, with all the riding you have done you have that bike trained to do what you want it to! lol I can't remember the last time I rode a bike, maybe in the 80's! Yikes! Now that is a long time ago.

Betty

Hey, Betty, give it a try! You don't have to feed it, wash it, or gas it. No license required. And they come preassembled now days!

As you know, I too have my own Harley. And I'm with Betty, short trips 2 to 3 hours OK, longer or overnight, no way. I keep telling my husband that I keep getting a severe case of TB (tired butt). I don't even like being on the back with him much longer than that and I don't care how often we have to get gas and then I can stretch. I tend to get fidgety (sp?) and that was one of the reasons I got my own bike. I too took the class and highly recommend it but like Betty says, experience is the learning.

We went to Laughlin for several years and just stopped. They raise all the room prices for the weekend and even the buffet prices. So our group just tends to head to Carson City or Reno instead. Also, after you've been several times, it is all the same year to year.

I must admit that now that I've lost some weight my butt doesn't get as tired (but I'm not going to let him know that!). I love heading to the coast for lunch and a walk on the beach (about a 45 minute ride). There are advantages to living in California.

We belong to a small (15 to 20 members) Harley club. A mom and pop club, not hard core. We like to go to Hearst Castle overnight, brunch in Monterey, backroad trips, and even went to Sacramento one day for Jiffy burgers (believe it or not there is a place that makes hamburgers with Peanut Butter -- not my favorite).

Lisa, you will become a great rider and make that man actually ride on the back with you one day. I did that but he would only let me go around the block a few times. I honked the horn so everyone would come out and look. He was mad at me :) but oh well, it was my only chance.

Carol

Dr. McKeen 12/29/03

269/167/145