Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been looking through all my paper work and I cannot find how much Protein I should be striving for each day. I am 12 days post op. Thoughts?

My surgeon said to try and get in 60 grams of Protein in. Obviously early post-ops will have trouble getting in that much. We were instructed to initially concentrate on getting enough fluids in, then slowly work our way up to 60 grams of protein. I'm almost 2 years post-op and I get approx 100 grams of protein in daily.

Yep, my goal is 60-80 but I gain extra because I use 3 scoops in 20 oz of skim milk =xtra Protein and each scoop has 26 grams a scoop (78 grams in 3 scoops) I drink it for my Breakfast and mid-morning snack and eat my two other meals. Take my Calcium in the morning since I am already drinking the milk. Take other Vitamins with lunch and dinner.I would be lost if I developed lactose intolerance. Protein intake would be severely limited.

60-80 grams

A day my nutritionist said you can only absorb about 25 grams in a short period so I use 1 scoop per shake because your not getting the extra if u use more but 2 shakes a day at that then what ever you eat make sur its got Protein in it you will have no problem

Thanks. I am definitely not getting enough. I need to start the day with a shake. Just curious but when you guys say a scoop... Its that huge scoop that comes in the canister. Shazam! That is a lot. I used someone's suggestion of putting one scoop in a bowl on the counter in the morning and I add a little bit to everything... Well that bowl has been there for 3 days and I still haven't used it all. One scoop equals like 4 or 5 tablespoons! I'll keep trying. Gotta get more in!

60-80 grams

A day my nutritionist said you can only absorb about 25 grams in a short period so I use 1 scoop per shake because your not getting the extra if u use more but 2 shakes a day at that then what ever you eat make sur its got Protein in it you will have no problem

I wasn't aware of the absorption of the protein, but I think it's something we should be aware of. Maybe I will take that same shake and drink it all throughout the day. Too many Vitamins taken at the same time also results in expensive urine, so all of this is truly a balancing act. Thanks for the info!

Alright, I made a Protein Shake this morning with 1% milk, I scoop of chocolate splendor Unjury Protein Powder, I tbsp of Peanut Butter, ice. Really yummy, but its 1:30 and I've had almost 1/2. Whew... I don't think I can get anymore down... Or anything else down for a long time.

I wasn't aware of the absorption of the protein' date=' but I think it's something we should be aware of. Maybe I will take that same shake and drink it all throughout the day. Too many Vitamins taken at the same time also results in expensive urine, so all of this is truly a balancing act. Thanks for the info![/quote']

Are you using the whey Protein Shake from Walmart? Here's what I do since I'm not so fond of the shakes...1 cup of soy milk with 2scoops(52g)...i split the shake into 2 servings...i can only handle 4oz at a time..my nutr said that's fine..its just a but thick but I would rather do that then trying to drink larger amounts

I've never tried the unjury....i hear its good...

snow, you sound like me. I can't get an 8oz shake down to save my life. I think I'll do what was suggested here and try 4oz in the morning and 4oz in the evening because I'm not getting anywhere near my required Protein.

My NUT says 60g, by the way.

im 4 weeks post op n is still having troubles getting all my Protein in let alone eating

I am drinking Lean Body the chocolate ice cream flavor. Its at Walmart. Its pre-made 40g Protein and 0 sugars. Tasty over ice.

Snow25 im having the same problem, the pre made ones im having trouble with so going to powder, i hope it's better, Pryor to surgery i was adding a greek yogurt w/ fruit and blend it, i would love go add yogurt again!!

Are you using the whey Protein shake from Walmart? Here's what I do since I'm not so fond of the shakes...1 cup of soy milk with 2scoops(52g)...i split the shake into 2 servings...i can only handle 4oz at a time..my nutr said that's fine..its just a but thick but I would rather do that then trying to drink larger amounts

Yep, love the whey Protein from Walmart...cheapest I found, too! I love the shakes (I know weird) but it's like drinking chocolate milk and I "almost" feel guilty drinking them. I use the chocolate and add the decaff coffee for more of an iced mocha. I freeze it slightly to get it well-chilled with tiny bits of ice (doesn't take long). I make 20 oz. using 3 scoops (78 grams without the milk count) so I think I will use your suggestion and drink smaller amounts during the day. I am not eating as much protein at mealtimes yet so relying on the liquid form so body doesn't use up my muscle in an attempt to gain energy. Thanks!