Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like a big baby.

I come on here for support; the best I could ever get anywhere - thank you all. But I also come on here now, since I've started feeling bad...and I'm just 'Debbie Downer'. I don't mean to be, thats not the person I am.

I'm just reading all the January Bandsters posts; and everyone is doing so fabulous. And then there is me. Up again tonight with gas pains so uncomfortable, I'm just walking in circles. Mom keeps saying give it time, time, time. Yea yea yea. I'm being impatient perhaps. Some of the Bandsters around the same time as me, are up and out and about. Not me - I'm still weak and cranky and aggitated. I'm trying alot of 'self talk'...that I feel great, etc. Ain't workin'. lol

I just feel that mine is the 1 in 100 that turns out bad after surgery. I'll tell you what, I'm down 12.5lbs in the week...and I'd rather not have lost anything my first week, in order to feel better.:sick

You've only been banded for 8 days, so don't put the cart before the horse and give up now.:D Give it a few more days, part of what is wrong is that you are probably just having a bad reaction to the anesthesia. I haven't been banded yet, but when my mom had her knees replaced, the pain killers and anesthesia literally made her feel like she wasn't going to make it out of the hospital.

I'm just reading all the January Bandsters posts; and everyone is doing so fabulous. And then there is me.

Sherilynn, you're not the only one. I'm 3 weeks post-op and am still wearing sweat pants to work because I feel so crappy! My incisions are healing slowly; in fact, the steri-strips haven't even fallen off, yet. My belly is still bloated some, and putting on my left sock is still a major struggle. Gas pains in my shoulder seem to come back for at least 15 minutes every day. I'm so tired that I have to take a 2 hour nap every day. And my hunger is extreme. Other than feeling horrible, it's like the band isn't even there. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Enterprise, you are my hero! As horrible as it sounds, I'm so glad to know there is someone out there who is struggling. Its frustrating to think I'm the only one. I keep hearing all these 'I had my band put in on Wednesday, and Thursday I climbed Kilamanjaro'!

I'm up now, b/c I'm trying to walk off the gas pains.

:D

I wasn't out climbing mountains two days later either!

I was off work a week, I could have taken longer but had to go in to deal with some crisis stuff. I would to go work, come home and head straight to bed for at least a week. I think it wasn't until about 3 weeks out I started to feel anything like myself again.

And it makes sense. We had pretty major surgery. Where they put us out. All the drugs used alone can take a while to get over. Then there is the liquid diet while healing that can affect how we feel. And the emotions we've had for some time even before surgery.

You WILL feel better. Even if you have a few bumps, it will pass and you will feel better.

i had surgery 1 month ago. i feel good now--but for the first 3 wks--i didn't feel so great. i took painkiller for every little twinge (good stuff!) and i just babied myself as much as possible (including crawling into bed every night right after work, which i went back to after 1 wk, kicking and screaming). i would say it's only the past 7 days that i've felt "normal" again--and i sure thought i was never going to feel this way again after the surgery! but i do feel good now--and i'm back to the gym--(just yesterday) and i can eat very comfortably. for a long time--i only felt good LYING DOWN--it even hurt to sit up at work--so you can just imagine how NOT happy i was to be back at work. eventually--even that has gone away.

now i'm waiting for that fill. want my restriction to start!!

so my advice to the newer-banded people is--TAKE THAT PAINKILLER! relax and sleep! if you have any questions--call the dr! (i did have something that felt like an infection under the large incision==went back to the dr.--and got antibiotics for that, then it went away). but give it a little more time--9 days is still VERY NEW.

and--congrats to you all!

Sherilynn, you are still healing. It can take up to 6 weeks that is why they don't give you a fill until then. Just take it easy and make sure you are getting enough liquids and prtoeins. You will probably wake up one morning and bammm..you will feel wonderful. Good luck.

Patience, my dear! But I know what you mean. I lost very little weight even my first 6 months, and then it was slow until month 9. A good lot of my loss has come in the last 8 months! Once you get that restriction you'll start to see it happening, ok? For now, you are recovering. I know we all want it gone immediately, but it just isn't going to happen right away. I was pretty down my first while, too.

First, congrats on your recent surgery! You're on your way to better health.

It took me 2 weeks to feel semi-normal again and a month before feeling back to my old self. I also had low energy for about 6 weeks. What you're feeling is totally normal! Give yourself some time to recover and you'll be feeling better soon.

Sherilynn-

I wasn't one of those great surgery outcomes either......but even with the issues that I had, it was worth going through everything to get to where I am today - and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

I didn't go back to work for 2 weeks after my surgery and was extremely sick for the first 3 months after surgery and all the yuck stopped just like that and "bam" I feel like me again minus the extra weight!! Again, worth the problems to feel like I did 15 years ago.

Everyone is different and recovers at different rates - the same with weight loss - no one is the same.

Hang in there - it will get better - you will start feeling better!!

Take Care

Tracy

Sherilynn I hope you feel better soon. I have not been banded yet. 1 week left to go. I am not looking forward to being sick. But I know it sounds easier said then done but keep the end result in mind.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I suppose I'm not the most patient person.

I did speak with the surgeons nurse practioner; she made me feel better as well. She said the same that all of you have been telling me - GIVE IT TIME!

As for today, I've done alot of crying. But I'm over that now, and hopefully tomorrow there will be no tears.

Sherilynn, I decided to try wearing regular pants today. Big mistake. I'm so uncomfortable when I sit. The waistband is making me miserable. I can't wait to get home and get back in my sweats. My stomach must still be swollen, too, because these are my fat pants and they are fitting tighter in the waist than they should. I've lost at least 12 pounds, so I know it must the swelling from the surgery. Ugh.

And I need to go to the grocery store tonight and run some errands, but I just don't have the energy. I'm going home and crawling back into bed as soon as I can.

Hey Enterprise,

I'm just staying in sweats until the day I have to go back to work. Today was another horrible day; gas galore. I have it stuck by my left kidney. I just worry that it could be a kidney issue. I know, all sorts of crazy stuff goes through my head.

Steri Strips didn't budge in the shower today. No rush, I don't think I want to see what lies beneath! lol

I took a percocet today and it nearly knocked me out! I just laid down, and let that horrible feeling pass.

I don't want to go to bed too early, as I'd love to be able to sleep through the night. I only have a few percocet left, so I'm rationing them. Did find a bottle of liquid Vicodin from my Dads surgery a few months ago. I may eventually have to dip into that.