Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Splenda is Evil

Artificial sweetners don't adversely effect me at all, but they are a known cause of weightloss stalls. There are a lot of people out there who truly cannot get below a given threshold of weightloss while consuming artificial sweetners.

BTW, with the FDA labeling, the same is true for most ingredients. Take carbs for example. You can list something as "0g carb" if it has less than 1 full gram. Sometimes manufacturers are honest and will mark ">1g", but there are plenty of foods out there with .99g carb in them, being sold as 0g.

My rule of thumb, if it says 0g carb, I still count it as 1g. And if it says 0 calories, I still count it as 5. Not that I really count or keep track, but I do try to pay attention.

Your post answers a question for me. I am 8 days post-op and although I feel fine I have been plagued with intestinal gas. It just rolls our of me. For a while I associated it with the surgery, but this is not that kind of gas.

I have always drank a lot of Water (plain water) but after surgery they gave me a sample of Crystal lite and suggested that I flavor my water to make it easier to get it all down. Well, I have done that and now I know where the gas is coming from. I have always been susceptible to artificial sweetners (alcohol sugars will all but launch me in the air) but did not think to attribute it anything in the Crystal lite.

So, it is back to plain water for me and hopefully a much calmer gut.

For those who don't like plain water, maybe a little lemon juice with a tiny bit of sugar would make it more tolerable.

Thanks again

Mary

The only problem is that I absolutely hate drinking Water or any unsweetened beverages, so I can't come up with a good alternative.

It's surprising the number of people who just don't like the taste of plain Water. You might want to give this a try. Several companies make a liquid chlorophyll supplement that you can add to water. It's usually mint flavoured and a few drops just gives the water a light mint taste. It can be quite soothing to the digestive system. One brand that I can think of is Nature's Sunshine.

My sweetie often puts lemon juice in his water. I like the taste of it, but worry about the acid bathing my teeth constantly. He's not worried about it for some reason. I keep encouraging him to drink his water plain, like I do.

It's surprising the number of people who just don't like the taste of plain Water. You might want to give this a try. Several companies make a liquid chlorophyll supplement that you can add to Water. It's usually mint flavoured and a few drops just gives the water a light mint taste.

That's a good suggestion, but wouldn't you know, I hate mint more than I hate plain water. I think I'm the only adult in the world who dislikes mint. My dentist, who sees only adult patients, has to order bubblegum flavored tooth polish just for me. She says I'm the only patient who refuses the mint flavored stuff.

When I had dogs, I used to put some liquid chlorophyll in their drinking water to help improve their breath.

I think I'm going to buy some stainless steel cups like they use in Indian restaurants. I've noticed that water always tastes better in a metal cup. It's horrible in plastic containers and glass, and styrofoam makes it bearly tolerable. And I might try some of that new Special K Protein water. Other bandsters are saying it tastes pretty good.

That's a good suggestion, but wouldn't you know, I hate mint more than I hate plain Water. I think I'm the only adult in the world who dislikes mint.

Nuts! How about this then: cold herbal tea. Maybe a fruity blend or something. I always find that really refreshing. I especially like lemon balm tea.

That's for the powdered Splenda. The calories/carbs actually come from whatever it is they use to make it into a powder form. You can order liquid "Splenda" with zero calories/zero carbs. http://www.sweetzfree.com/

It lasts forever. I've had the same bottle for at least 3 years now. Two drops in coffee and I like my coffee VERY sweet :)

i have been using the liquid Splenda for 2 years now and love it. You cannot buy it here in the US over the counter because the manufacturer will not allow the pure powder or liquid to be sold here......except to big companies, bakerys etc.

i always buy mine online and have also bought from sweetfreez as stated above. Ebay had some up for auction the other day.

cal

I hate all artificial sweeteners. I stopped using them entirely when I was pregnant, and after I had the baby, I was amazed at how chemically they all tasted - including Splenda.

I'm a big proponent of drinking Vitamin Water, or Water flavored with a slice of lemon or lime. Sodas are nothing but corn Syrup or chemicals. And if I really want coffee or tea, I use real sugar and limit my intake.

It's AMAZING how many things are made from high fructose corn syrup. It should be illegal. Not only that, but it's amazing how many labels out-and-out LIE. I've picked up items that are labeled NO TRANS FATS, but when you look at the ingredients, you see Partially Hydrogenated Oils, which is what create trans fats!

Another thing that's worrying me lately is what's in these Protein drinks? I've been drinking them and they invariably give me the runs. And they change the taste in my mouth, so that it's sweeter - like my tongue's been coated in Splenda.

Really, the FDA needs to crack-down on labeling. Everything's just getting mislabeled, so people believe that they're eating healthier, when really, everything's just as bad for you as it always used to be - the manufacturers are just trying to create a sleight of hand to boost sales!

PS: From what I can see, artificial sweeteners create their own little addictions. I really don't think any of them are that healthy!

I hate all artificial sweeteners. I stopped using them entirely when I was pregnant, and after I had the baby, I was amazed at how chemically they all tasted - including Splenda.
I agree. I can't eat or drink anything that is made with Splenda or other fake sugars. They just taste like chemicals to me. I have a pretty sensitive sense of tast, I guess, because anything made with it is just too sweet and leaves an aftertaste like I've been chewing on aluminum. The only thing I will drink or eat anymore that is made with artificial sweeteners is hot tea, but I just use enough to cut the bitterness of it (about 1/3 packet), because if I use enough that the tea is actually sweet, it starts tasting funky to me.

Occasionally, I'll drink a crystal light, but it has to be really cold and a little watered down because otherwise the metal taste is there. With diet sodas, the only tolerable one I have had is the Kroger brand diet root beer. Otherwise, I would rather drink Decaf unsweetened iced tea or plain Water, because the rest of the diet drinks taste like I am chugging aluminum.:yuck:

I agree. I can't eat or drink anything that is made with Splenda or other fake sugars. They just taste like chemicals to me. I have a pretty sensitive sense of tast, I guess, because anything made with it is just too sweet and leaves an aftertaste like I've been chewing on aluminum. The only thing I will drink or eat anymore that is made with artificial sweeteners is hot tea, but I just use enough to cut the bitterness of it (about 1/3 packet), because if I use enough that the tea is actually sweet, it starts tasting funky to me.

Occasionally, I'll drink a crystal light, but it has to be really cold and a little watered down because otherwise the metal taste is there. With diet sodas, the only tolerable one I have had is the Kroger brand diet root beer. Otherwise, I would rather drink Decaf unsweetened iced tea or plain Water, because the rest of the diet drinks taste like I am chugging aluminum.:yuck:

Laurend,

I am with you on this, I really don't drink anything with artificial sweeteners in it (and I don't drink anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, it is EVIL):) . I am having trouble finding a Protein drink I can tolerate - I hold my nose and chug now, pre-op. My question to you is what have you found tolerable in a Protein Drink? I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Terri

I don't do much shopping in the middle of the store. I buy fresh or frozen veggie, fresh fruit, dairy, meat & bread. My kids think its a holiday if I bring home canned Pasta. I do buy some cereals for my kids, but I also buy alot of oatmeal (not the instant stuff). I can not have any of the fake sugars. And sugar alchol keeps me sitting on the pot. I love Water but want it ice cold, so I got a 2 gallon water cooler that sits on my desk and I have an extra jug that I fill up at home (we are on a well at work). When I was on LA weight loss, I quit putting sugar in my coffee and as stated above, it took about two weeks to get used to it. For those that don't like plain water, I would also suggest tea. I love green tea, but in the winter I'm all about the Earl Gray.

i have been using the liquid Splenda for 2 years now and love it. You cannot buy it here in the US over the counter because the manufacturer will not allow the pure powder or liquid to be sold here......except to big companies, bakerys etc.

i always buy mine online and have also bought from sweetfreez as stated above. Ebay had some up for auction the other day.

cal

I'd bet that stuff made with splenda (like Coke Zero n' stuff) is made with the pure kind, and not the kind that's cut with whatever....

Regarding the transfats; the hydrogenated oils do create it, but it depends on how it's used. Cooking with it, is what creates trans fat. Spreading margarine on your toast is fine, but baking with it is bad... etc... I hope that makes sense..